News - Reader comments

Apple has 53.3% of US sales in last trimester, Android strong in EU

21 December, 2012 | Read the news | Post your comment
Apple has 53.3% of US sales in last trimester, Android strong in EU - read the full textAccording to data gathered by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech Apple has secured a 53.3% sales share in the US in the 12 weeks ending on November 25. The main culprit for the impressive result is the iPhone 5. Apple has passed the 50% mark for the first time ever, scoring a huge 17.5 percent points...

 

Sort by:

You mean that PEOPLE in Germany, UK, France and Australia are poor? Because phones are bought by people...

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 20:02
  • DyEt

> In reply to Denzo @ 2012-12-21 19:02 from sy9x - click to readyes agreed and i'll further support your argument that "ALL" other countries excluding america are poor.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 20:01
  • u1vQ

Apple is going down, at least in my country Malaysia and neighbor Singapore.

Last two years everywhere was iPhone 4/4S. Now hardly seen, not much interesting on iPhone 5. Even a lot iPhone 4/4S user was jump ship!

Everywhere is Samsung S III & Note II now. :) Some HTC & Sony. 90% was Android user.

As for Nokia, it was big drop since 3 years + ago. Hardly seen people use Nokia and Nokia shop was always empty, the only human inside was the sales person.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 20:00
  • ibnp

> In reply to [deleted post]too me anything over 200 dollars is over priced.

I'm not paying 650 dollars us, for a phone were the screen cracks easily, problems with mal ware, waiting for updates, constant freezing, and crashing, lacks of apps, over sized phone, and a plastic feel.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 19:50
  • Rn6R

> In reply to [deleted post]Well i'm Canadian, and there a ton of people that own the iphone either 4s or 5. So we are all stupid? Are you accusing people of owning an iphone stupid?

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 19:42
  • Rn6R

> In reply to Denzo @ 2012-12-21 19:02 from sy9x - click to readI agree with you.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 19:38
  • FMY8

Let me summarise: Cheap phones sell better in poorer countries. The end.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 19:02
  • sy9x

> In reply to Login with Google @ 2012-12-21 17:39 from K7gK - click to readBecause Nokia has a strong position in Brazil and, at the same time, a Symbian phone costs one third of a good Android phone and one fifth of an iPhone 4 (not 4S, not 5)....

Also notice that in Brazil most people use the pre-paid / pay-as-you-go option, which have no subside in phone prices, so, most people pay the full price on the phones...

That is why Android is strong here (cheap smartphones like Galaxy Y and, who wants a better device, a Galaxy SIII is usually found 20-25% cheaper than an iPhone 4S), and why Nokia is second place (most of their phones are free with 12M contract of cheap plans, and, cheap contract free).

Last, but not least, in Brazil all companies will pay less taxes (which are really, really high in Brazil) and no import taxes if they assemble it/produce it locally... Samsung, Motorola and Nokia build all their phones in Brazil, while Apple build only some of their phones, so, they can't fully benefit of government tax deductions...

And that is why iPhone is trailing behind, that is why Windows Phone is stronger (Lumia 900 costs the same as a Galaxy SII Lite here) than iPhone as well. That is why Android and Symbian are way more popular...

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:44
  • 9FtI

> In reply to apple-sux @ 2012-12-21 18:08 from Pn$} - click to read1200$?? That's too much!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:39
  • K7gK

Funny about Spain. I wonder what android handsets are selling well. That country is part of the finically default crew in Europe so I wonder if its lower cost phones doing really well as opposed to galaxy s 3's

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:35
  • Ja5r

It's the 1990 Microsoft vs Apple all over again this time google will have 90% of the world wide market share in 10 years just like what Microsoft has with is computer software.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:28
  • 4Bak

Exciting developments, can't really tell between top 3 right now.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:25
  • PG5Y

> In reply to fidu didu @ 2012-12-21 18:12 from fBhm - click to readApple isnt going down. You need to remember there's one company agains 30 android companies.

Even android getting more marketshare apple still selling millions and millions devices like they have doing for years.

If apple really want to compete in marketshare, they need to open the iOS for other companies, but im sure they arent going to do that because they are already doing so well.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:20
  • p771

It's surprising...consider that iPhone is expensive. Meanwhile you can get an android for less than $100, and still "android"

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:12
  • XMFH

apple will continue to go down unless they bring some innovation in their design and of course the operating system i.e. iOS. I own a 4s and didn't even bothered about the 5 and so did many others. wake up cupertino guys or els windows phone :(

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:12
  • fBhm

> In reply to mobilefreak90 @ 2012-12-21 17:53 from rKDV - click to readI agree, Windows and Android will continue to grow in parts of the world where logic exists.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:11
  • 3sEj

> In reply to mobilefreak90 @ 2012-12-21 17:53 from rKDV - click to readIs this a deja vu?
Because in last year you people of Nokia said the same thing about WP now its in much worse position after dumping their WP7. Lumia 800 900 and the rest have just been released in the mid of this year and already dead with no update to WP8.
If Apple have lost too much they better stop making iOS exclusive to their phones and license it to other companies like Samsung LG HTC Sony, for each phone they can earn a lot of cash and popularity.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:10
  • fqei

> In reply to Login with Google @ 2012-12-21 17:39 from K7gK - click to readnokia is still strong here. and due a tech gap of 1 to 2 years old tech from the US or europe is still "up to date" in brazil.

but foxcon is going to set up a plant in brazil. they will produce iphones there to avoid the import tax. this tax is the reason why an iphone 5 in brazil cost over 1200US$. a cheap nokia oder android you get for 200US$.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 18:08
  • Pn$}

i won't be surprised if windows phone emerge as second largest mobile OS after android in coming years in europe and other countries except US.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 17:53
  • rKDV

"In fact Brazil and Germany were the only two countries where the Microsoft platform lost positions"

It depends how you look the numbers. For example if you look these same numbers from september, for example in US windows phone had 2.9% and now three months later its 2.7%. So its coming down.

Doesnt look good for wp in US, i thought they were doing better.

  • Reply
  • 2012-12-21 17:42
  • p771

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.