News - Reader comments

Microsoft sold 5 times more phones this Christmas season

08 January, 2013 | Read the news | Post your comment
Microsoft sold 5 times more phones this Christmas season - read the full textWith Microsoft being a major Qualcomm partner, last night Steve Ballmer dropped by Qualcomm's press conference and shared on stage that Windows Phones are enjoying increasing popularity. Of course, he didn't mention any specific numbers, but what he did say is in November 2012 they've sold 4...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Slim @ 2013-01-08 15:41 from 0mTC - click to readI just saw this on YLE's (Finnish TV's) Engluish web page. Nokia sold a few mopre than few more than five handsets.

Nokia's Q4 better than expected.

Finland's Nokia said Thursday that its fourth-quarter results were better than expected and that its mobile phone business achieved underlying profitability.

Quarterly net sales in devices and services was about 3.9 billion euros. It sold a total of 86.3 million devices. Smartphones accounted for 6.6 million units, of which 4.4 million were Windows-based Lumia handsets, the company said.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-10 16:35
  • pdim

Oh, and if you want a good (but maybe biased) analysis of mobile manufacturers and carriers, just go to the Tomi Ahonen's blog (go to google or any other searching engine and type: communities dominate blog). It is quite informative, even if it could be sometimes perceived as Android biased, at least for me.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-10 11:25
  • MV4n

I must acknowledge one thing from the anonymous guy, even if I do not appreciate his way to write: the topic here is not" how many firms are using GNU Linux" but "how did WP performed in sales terms".
I would answer "not that good, but not all bad for a platform which is just rising", setting aside the WP7 attempt, as it is WP8 incompatible.
Outside from the topic, I am just waiting for the appearance of Ubuntu Mobile, Firefox OS and Jolla's Sailfish OS, among others OS, on the market to make my opinion on what will suit me best as my next phone platform, because Android even close to the goal for me, but not completelly and beeing using a Java virtual machine, is not that battery efficient as could be its rivals, Symbian (yes the burning platform, according to the [in]famous Elop memo) beeing first on this aspect. By the way, beware of Google's privacy terms. They make money on web surfers, with their "web surfer focused ads", which I do not think MS or Apple do, but maybe I am wrong on this point.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-10 11:16
  • MV4n

> In reply to - SiTdOwN - @ 2013-01-09 22:05 from Mfxa - click to readJust like i thought
Greg sullivan from microsoft

"He also repeated Ballmer’s statements that sales were five times higher for the last week of December when compared with a year earlier."

Last week, not season! Like many have wrote their news.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-10 11:03
  • p771

> In reply to Killer Droid @ 2013-01-09 17:16 from QGtq - click to readif your ego is rising when calling others what you see in the mirror then I'm glad I could help. You have a fixation about europe's corporations using more and more linux-what's the relevance with the article? and do you have some statistics about that growth in its 22 years of existance since you seem to be an analyst(a couch one but still...)? I bet it's all a fandroid's day dream while killing time between lags, and about that list I'm sure you can find more big names only from Italy:), not to mention uk, france, germany...should I go on? so please mr european(I'm also one:)) tell us what else do you dream on in your spear reboot time?

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-10 00:50
  • 3RMg

> In reply to Duel @ 2013-01-09 21:42 from p771 - click to readi still dont get why it bothers you so much. you make it seem like god sent you to earth to the police of how "ballmer speaks" ... stop analysing it down to a 'T'...

the fact is, WP8 is awsome one you use it, and thats why sales are going up.. more and more people are realising that its an amazing alternative to iOS and android.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 22:05
  • Mfxa

> In reply to [deleted post]You got it all wrong, i didnt say ballmer isnt talking truth, its just the way how he speaks, four times more, five times more, five times more at christmas. It might mean only week or something or whole quarter.

I believe that ballmer is speaking truth about five times better sells, its just interesting how he said that.

By the way calm down man, this isnt so serious :D

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 21:42
  • p771

> In reply to [deleted post]exactly it requires 8 cores now...remember it started with a single core...to hide its lag!!!

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 21:20
  • ns4U

> In reply to Duel @ 2013-01-09 21:03 from p771 - click to readExactly!!!!

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 21:07
  • QGtq

> In reply to - SiTdOwN - @ 2013-01-09 20:16 from Mfxa - click to read"wat lies? all they said was they sold 5 times more phones this season than last year same season."

Actually ballmer didnt say that, he said more than last year christmas time, they didnt talk about anything about whole season.

Its the way how they talk they know how to make things look better than what they might be, its always been like that with wp news.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 21:03
  • p771

> In reply to Killer Droid @ 2013-01-09 20:44 from QGtq - click to readlol...same was said of Nokia and its Symbian 3-4 years before. No you see the state. IOS was undisputed champion nearly a year ago...we know how samaung's smartphones for all...with every price tag has eaten it. It is all strategy and plans. Google, MS, apple are all good at their ways. Ur prediction of android dominance is unfounded like Nokia or apple had with their OSes. So don't worry and dangle about WP failures with q3 2012 figures or when nothing is out. All U present R not speaking the figures of today or even of Christmas week.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 20:53
  • gDhE

With 53% of the world market share i don't think that android is going anywhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F...et-Share.png

Google Has the Market, Money and OEM in their poket. Android is going to dominate for 10 year and after that something new going to come and it's not WP Troll. You are getting emotionnal lol android is the new Sambian and you did not see me in multiple other threads ;)

PS: My friend lumia 900 alaway restart by himself. Wp is wack!!!

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 20:44
  • QGtq

> In reply to [deleted post]how do you know your garbage samsung sales aren't lies? can you do into thier factory and count exactly wat is leaving the door? nokia and microsoft have kept the sales of the wp8 a secret for now.. all the numbers you see are approximates! everything you're getting angry about is just to have a reason to cmoe here and bash because you're a worthless trolling loser who goes on all apple and microsoft threads and makes hate comments.

I've seen you on multiple threads EVERYDAY making childish remarks.. and the only reason you're doing thtat is because you want people to use android, but the market is shifting to other os's! and you just wait until tizen, boot2gecko, ubuntu mobile, and jolla sailfish are released. android is going to be the most PATHETIC OS out!

it already is, expecially since they haven't even been able to do soemthing so simple as to eliminate thier biggest problem.. lag! and im not saying that because thats wat i've heard.. i owned a moto droid which got stollen, and now i have a nokia n9 with meego and a samsung nexus galaxy. and the nexus is patheticly slow! now im selling it and getting WP8 because it is by FAR the more fluid than any other OS out.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 20:37
  • Mfxa

Lets not fight and can say they are doing good now and lets be happy with our smartphones ... :)

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 20:31
  • vIhi

> In reply to [deleted post]Don't worry...u are not that gr8. You don't own neither MS nor Google and except for meaningless trolling...u don't control the market. If millions are to be sold U can't stop a million people. If android is king b content with that. If Nokia and MS are starting to do average from worse...why do you get alarmed. It proves that U have seen somewhere a lumia and really got a feeling that it is better. Rather than trolling here...give constructive feedbacks to google to improve on their various OS issues and save your preordered s3 phone from sudden cardiac arrest (mother board dies...i heard by the way)... Now don't start childishly about Jelly bean or Schezwan fried rice versions with octal or 24 cores are lag free! and better than wp7.5/8s fluidity. Please stop ur trolls ...ur hate comments are nauseating!!!

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 20:27
  • gDhE

Nokia's Q4 sales figures of 2011:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/0...rofits-drop/

"Well over 1 million Lumia's sold"...

Having in mind that Nokia took the major part of the Windows Phone 7.x sales from end of 2011, it makes me curious how some analyses came to ~2.5 million WP7.x phones sold in Q4 2011. In all, the "over 5 times as many phones" still can be as little as some 5 million units sold in Q4 2012. That would be particularly bad for a brand spanking new and improved OS.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 20:17
  • mA51

> In reply to [deleted post]wat lies? all they said was they sold 5 times more phones this season than last year same season. Whats wrong with that? why does that bug you? do you feel threatened? are you scared that WP8 sales are getting better?

dont try to smack-talk your way out of it...you're just a troll buddy. you have no life, thats why you're here. It satisfies you to come to a thread like this and post hate comments just so you can feel better about yourself or your little android phone. If it didn't bug you, you wouldn't be here cause you're have something more important to do. And its not just on this thread.. i see you posting comments on a number of other threads too....

clearly you have problems.. you need to get yourself checked.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 20:16
  • Mfxa

> In reply to Killer Droid @ 2013-01-09 19:49 from qasT - click to readthen why are you here? answer... why are you here troll?
what part of this article is appealing to you if you hate this phone?
give me a reason why you're here you bitter lonely troll.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 19:56
  • Mfxa

> In reply to - SiTdOwN - @ 2013-01-09 19:39 from Mfxa - click to readI have the S3(preorder)if I could buy the S3 I think that I could buy the l920 no stress! ;-)

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 19:49
  • qasT

droid users are living in fear! and in diappers because they're living in fear!

and they're also living in jealousy, envy and hatred because they know that there's good option outside of lagdroid!

thats why you and your little "duel" buddy are sitting on this thread trying to bash something you claim you dont like... and you can stop denying the fact that you wish you could afford a WP8 phone.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-09 19:39
  • Mfxa

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.