News - Reader comments

Microsoft sold 5 times more phones this Christmas season

08 January, 2013 | Read the news | Post your comment
Microsoft sold 5 times more phones this Christmas season - read the full textWith Microsoft being a major Qualcomm partner, last night Steve Ballmer dropped by Qualcomm's press conference and shared on stage that Windows Phones are enjoying increasing popularity. Of course, he didn't mention any specific numbers, but what he did say is in November 2012 they've sold 4...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Jovster @ 2013-01-08 18:48 from 0BN% - click to readDude serious catch a wake up WP8 is another area for them to make cash... you know the stuff they need to make the next batch of higher tech phone, and fill there pockets :P... Watch an see their next flagship will still be android as WP8 hasn't got the market share yet to be considered for their flagship and even if the flagship after that is WP8 they wont drop android that's like saying they will drop a huge source of profit.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 22:26
  • rvM{

> In reply to Killer Droid @ 2013-01-08 19:11 from QGtq - click to readLess porn less virus

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 21:52
  • 6v0k

Nokia is rising, slowly but surely. Samsung sucks as always. They don't deserve to be at the top. I hope Nokia overtakes them in 2 or 3 years.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 21:45
  • t7Xh

> In reply to zzz0025 @ 2013-01-08 21:33 from 0ZJN - click to readdude.. you're talking about 2011? i have late 2012 androids and the lag just swiping between home screens! i was going to get the xperia ion, my freind got it before me.. he complains he has to press the touch buttons 6-8 times sometimes to get them to do anything.. and HE's an ANDROID fanboy!... i have a galaxy nexus and it lags.. my cousin has SG3 and it freezes (has to pull out battery).. i've used galaxy note 2 and it lags.. i used it yeterday and it was jerking/hesitating while trying to pull down the notification menu!

i've used 3 year old symbian phones with less than 1ghz processors that have less lag than some androids i've used.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 21:42
  • Mfxa

> In reply to Killer Droid @ 2013-01-08 21:25 from QGtq - click to readthey may be a monopoly over all, but wen you exclude the business sector (i.e. personal use), microsoft is NOT a monopoly. Microsoft is no where near threatened in the business market... they are the ONLY option there... apple and google are a pathetic little joke in that market... but that has nothing to do with personal and home use. microsoft is competing against apple and google in the peronal, entertainment and home use.

therefore your comment about them being a monopoly and feeling threatened is invalid... just like you said.. they have 90% market share... 90% market share over all, NOT in the mobile world. and the mobile world is EXACTLY what they are trying to get into.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 21:35
  • Mfxa

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-01-08 16:52 from vaN{ - click to readI have a xperia 2011 line up and it sucks even when I write a sms it laggs

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 21:33
  • 0ZJN

The only place i have seen a WP device is for sale in a shop. I have never seen one that someone owns.

Given that steve bullmer didnt announce sales numbers i would say they are pretty average still...

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 21:32
  • vuCa

So they sold 5 phones? LOLSOFT

No matter how you cut the windows pie, no one's gonna eat it

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 21:29
  • qbmP

> In reply to stop talking @ 2013-01-08 21:12 from Mfxa - click to readWhen a corporation has 90% of a market share (Pc) we call that monopoly!!! ;)

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 21:25
  • QGtq

all these things are common evry body is well suited in any software

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 21:21
  • 9DaA

> In reply to Killer Droid @ 2013-01-08 20:27 from QGtq - click to readfirst of all, microsoft no longer has a monopoly because apple is equivalently capable and IS a reasonable option next to PC's. Secondly, microsoft has nothing against google in particular, and have stated MULTIPLE times they are trying to get in as a 3rd option from BOTH Apple AND google. infact, they are targeting apple MORE than google becuase google is only dominating in the mobile world, while apple has a huge market share in music, movies, phones, tablets, computers, cloud storage, software, patents etc.

This is what i dont understand about you android using haters... you've never used a windows phone properly, and you sit and take EVERYTHING personally.. like microsoft is out to get you.

and just to let you know.. microsoft has had more advancements in 1.5 years of releasing thier OS than apple and google had in thier first 3 years COMBINED!!!!!

all you haters can shut your holes cause we all know you are a bunch of hating, jealous and insecure bunch of people. if you dont like WP8, then get off this thread!

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 21:12
  • Mfxa

A little off topic but you haters have to try Lumia 920. Had it on speaker phone last night and the audio quality on that thing is amazing. Held it close to my face and found you could feel the sound coming out like on a sub damn awesome phone

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 20:47
  • Bqvk

> In reply to brynn @ 2013-01-08 20:16 from mX8f - click to readLol your argument is based on what???

Google is taking over just like Microsoft did it in the 90s that's why Microsoft is on some kind of holy war against google. Because they know that their monopoly (pc) his in danger!!!!

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 20:27
  • QGtq

Several things about Balmer's "x5" declaration (from the presentation):
- X4 comparing 2011 November with 2012 November (WP8 launch month)
- X5 comparing 2011 Christmas "WEEK" with 2012 Christmas "WEEK".

Some other things:
Samsung has record profits because of Android. Samsung is not moving to WP8. It is producing some WP8 phones because Microsoft "asked" and payed for that (lowering patent cost for Samsung's Android phones).

Android is a lot better choice for phone manufacturers than WP because of possibility to customize and integrate own services. Samsung started Tizen because it is afraid that Google will become like Microsoft (will control Android more and produce its own phones).

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 20:19
  • iK07

Glad to read folk getting fed up or switching from Android.The os is a mess how the hell is the normal person on the street understand...I think Android and iphone will start to fall to make way for the new O/S's..

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 20:16
  • mX8f

> In reply to [deleted post]Mobile are overtaking PC.

blog.gsmarena.com/tablets-shipments-are-predicte­d-to-overtake-notebook-shipments-this-year/

Hail Google and linux!!!

Ps: Steam is coming to linux( ubuntu, crome os, android etc....) the demise of Microsoft is coming. HaHaHa!!!!

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 19:56
  • QGtq

> In reply to [deleted post]2% wp market share so who is frustrated?

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 19:54
  • MSJp

this is what Ballmar was saying while these photos were taken: Tiles, tiles tiles! Tiles, tiles tiles! Tiles, tiles tiles! Tiles, tiles tiles!

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 19:43
  • HC%w

> In reply to [deleted post]25 you call that success lol!!!! ;-)

All my window are legit!!!! Microsoft don't give a damn because they have monopoly in pc. Crome os and ubuntu are coming to kick some serious butt. Mobile computer are taking over. That's why Microsoft is deperate to launch it's fail os to mobile.

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 19:41
  • QGtq

> In reply to moe @ 2013-01-08 19:22 from qJ6p - click to readLOL 5*5=???????????

  • Reply
  • 2013-01-08 19:24
  • QGtq

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.