News - Reader comments

Sony Xperia SP C530X live photos leak, more specs confirmed

06 February, 2013 | Read the news | Post your comment
Sony Xperia SP C530X live photos leak, more specs confirmed - read the full textThe first photos of Sony's mid-range Xperia SP smartphone, which was previously known by its HuaShan codename, have just surfaced. Those show the handset alongside the Xperia V and reveal that the Xperia SP smartphone has a bigger footprint than that of Xperia V, suggesting that the smartphone will...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Eisley @ 2013-02-08 16:24 from LDdd - click to readYes, I would agree the portable battery powered chargers are probably my best bet. There is a Proporta charger about the size of a credit card (with USB cable built in!). It has a very low capacity but I'm hoping the technology improves so one day something that size is capable of giving a full charge to the phone. Solar could be interesting, I will need to look into that one.

And for the record, I love the look of the designs for the Xperia Z & SP. If it appears as if I'm bashing the Xperia line, that was not my intention. I just feel like there is room for improvement in some areas. And like you, I'm hoping the SP gets a massive battery so I can consider it for purchase. My current phone is the Xperia Sola. A good little device for sure, but very low battery capacity. When I travel I take out the SIM and put it in my Nokia 701 for the reasons stated in my thousand other posts here :)

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-08 17:22
  • kBGa

> In reply to McNulty @ 2013-02-08 16:12 from kBGa - click to readFor backpacking(?) travelers there should be good tech goodies that can help man. External portable chargers aren't exactly bulky, of course they aren't as small as a spare battery.

A solar charger may be the best choice for you. Your solar charger charges your portable charger and it charges your battery on the go :D

Btw, do you like Xperia Z? Have you seen the leaked pics and specs of the LG Optimus G Pro? That one has a very large battery. I hope it's removable! :D
Good day!

- L.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-08 16:24
  • LDdd

> In reply to McNulty @ 2013-02-08 15:55 from kBGa - click to readYeah, there's nothing better than a good portable charger. Or a good solar charger. Removable or non removable battery.

- L.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-08 16:13
  • LDdd

> In reply to Eisley @ 2013-02-08 15:49 from LDdd - click to readYou bring up good points. I suspect most people have usage patterns similar to what you stated, and have access to electricity multiple times during the day.

In my case, I am a frequent traveler and use my smartphone for navigation in various cities. Most of the time I am walking and do not have access to electricity or wish to carry around a bulky charger and cord. A nice spare battery fits right in my wallet. Because I'm using the GPS, in addition to calls/texts/emails the battery can drain completely in a matter of hours. So given my usage pattern it would be much more helpful to have the option of extra juice when I need it.

Also, my home area is prone to natural disasters. When those occur we are often without power for days, sometimes weeks. During those events it is quite helpful to have access to spare batteries. All I'm saying is that having a removable battery is important to some users (and GSM Arena reviewers for that matter) and that when a phone has a removable back cover as the SP is reported to have, it just doesn't seem to make sense why a removable battery isn't a given. If it were unibody, I would understand.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-08 16:12
  • kBGa

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-02-08 05:17 from vxrD - click to readOk, lets review. You say the better option to having a spare removable battery is to use the Sony E850 charger. That's the link you directed me to. You claim this charger is wireless, can charge the phone from 0% to 100% in 30 minutes, and is portable.

Some facts about the Sony E850 charger:
1. Is it wireless? No.
2. Does it charge from 0% to 100% in 30 minutes? No.
3. Is it portable? No. Requires outlet to deliver charge.

The "facts" you have provided to make your argument have been proven false. Care to try again?

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-08 15:55
  • kBGa


Very good CPU and GPU for a midrange intended phone. The desing do is midrange for sure.

In my opinion, it would be better if it had a removable and reasonably big battery. I like the fact that if the battery dies due to too many charges in, let's say; two years, you can easily have another one in, and give new life to your phone.
But, is not very probable that the battery will die in two years, and even less probable that you'll have the same main phone for more than two years. So, having a nonremovable battery shouldn't be deal breaker, nor a problem. They should last for its time and give juice for its time perfectly.

Also, if you can't swap batteries you can always have a external charger. They seem to be more useful than having another battery, and can be used to several devices instead of just one phone.

I agree that no one is too glued to his phone that won't let it rest for a charge. While having lunch, sleeping. You sleep, huh?

I do dislike these nonremovable batteries, I'd like the Xperia Z had removable battery still having its dust and water proof certification, but, I know that it won't be a problem. What else can we say? Also, a well configured Android can make it 2 days 1 night under reasonable usage. So, well, please don't argue so badly :D

- L.
Happy Xperia Pro lover.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-08 15:49
  • LDdd

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-02-08 01:50 from vxrD - click to readYet I cannot help but notice you did not post the source link I requested for your unlikely to be true "30 minute to full charge via wireless" claim. I won't respond any further until you provide proof for your assertions. Good day.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-08 04:02
  • kBGa

> In reply to McNulty @ 2013-02-07 20:26 from kBGa - click to read30 min is very accurate.

In terms of navigating, if your in your car, of course there should be a chager in it. But if you navigate by foot, still you have plenty of time to use a wireless charger and maybe rest your phone for a while.

Nobody uses a phone from 100% to 0% percent battery straight. Maybe you do, you walk, talk to other people while your eyes on your phone, you eat while having facebook, you play all games you want, you cross a new city and your eyes is stucked on your phone, and no time to charge, you just a time to repalce battery. It seems your a very busy guy.

Me thinks youre trying to make the worst possible scenario to downgrade xperia. Tell me which phone you use know so that we can do a fair comparison.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-08 01:50
  • vxrD

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-02-07 17:50 from v0qJ - click to readI have heard of wireless charging. However all the information I've seen on it indicate it takes a little LONGER to charge via wireless than it does using a standard wall plug. Also, doesn't the wireless charger need to be touching the phone constantly in order to charge it? Seems like it would be difficult to have them touching at all times while trying to use your phone and navigate a new city for example. And 30 minutes to full charge? Wow, that would be lovely. But something about that claim just doesn't seem accurate when a wall charger takes 1.5-2 hours. Can you please provide a source link for verification?

As far as damaging the phone from swapping out batteries goes...the 2 phones I had prior to this were the Nokia 701 and Nokia E71. The 701 had its battery swapped probably about 30 times, the E71 about 50 times. Neither phone has damage.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 20:26
  • kBGa

> In reply to Roben @ 2013-02-07 18:26 from LinW - click to readNo. It's a secret you can't find.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 18:39
  • v0qJ

The front facing camera is positioned on bottom right?

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 18:26
  • LinW

> In reply to McNulty @ 2013-02-07 17:25 from kBGa - click to readHave you heard about wireless charger? You could actually use you phone while charging through it, and can fully charge it twice. And cost cheaper than getting a spare battery. Sony has official products like those, it was out long time ago. Anyway most if not all sony phone only takes 30 min to be fully charged. No need to crack the back cover just to swap extra battery. In long run you might as well throwing your phone because of the damage being done by frequent swapping batteries.

You get extra battery cause your phone charge pretty slow, while me I get wireless charger or charge it 30 min.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 17:50
  • v0qJ

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-02-07 17:12 from v0qJ - click to readThe main reason is to have the ability to carry a spare battery with you when you run out of juice. If your phone has a removable battery than its very easy to swap on the go when there is no place to charge in sight. This is particularly helpful when your phone has a battery with woeful run times (such as the Sola, Xperia P, Ion, etc). Unfortunately those phones don't have removable batteries. Thats why if you're not going to put out a phone with a swappable battery, the least you can do is ensure you put in a huge battery with a sufficient run time. Droid Razr Maxx does this.

Another reason is batteries die naturally over time. If you have a useless battery thats not removable then its very costly to have it professionally replaced, and you wind up throwing the phone away instead. Its a perfectly good phone, and tossing it isn't exactly helpful to the environment either. But if its a removable battery then you can do the swap yourself for very little cost and have your beloved phone back again.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 17:25
  • kBGa

> In reply to irfan @ 2013-02-06 20:28 from KId5 - click to readAccording to the specs of neo v the phone is only planned update to ics. Why are you trying to insist the JB? And you can find the answer to that at neo v threads. Why you brought that discussion here? Makes me think you don't own a neo v, you just went here to create noise about neo v not getting updated. Typical fanboy from other brand pretending to own neo v.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 17:23
  • v0qJ

> In reply to jla-rn @ 2013-02-07 08:30 from fwVa - click to readShould it look like the ugliest s2Plus the successor of s2? Sorry sony will not make any design near those.

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 17:15
  • v0qJ

> In reply to McNulty @ 2013-02-07 13:40 from kBGa - click to readMy phone has removable battery, but it really don't matter if it is removable or not. Can you give a good reason why it should be remove as often as you want?

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 17:12
  • v0qJ

Amazing specs for midrange phone with 320 GPU and 1,7 Ghz CPU

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 16:29
  • U}}x

> In reply to Shhhhh @ 2013-02-07 07:48 from ibj$ - click to readLooks like the battery is not removable, despite having a back cover that IS removable. Doesn't make much sense to me but to each their own. I think the best we can hope for is that Sony learned a valuable lesson from their 2012 lineup and gave this phone a decent sized battery. Fingers crossed for a 2000 mah or better...

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 13:40
  • kBGa

why no news about the low-end xperia l? Really looking forward of that device

  • Reply
  • 2013-02-07 12:22
  • tV3x

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.