News - Reader comments

Nokia will make a major announcement in Delhi on May 9

30 April, 2013 | Read the news | Post your comment
Nokia will make a major announcement in Delhi on May 9  - read the full textNokia will hold a major announcement in New Delhi on May 9. The Finnish manufacturer sent out invitations calling for a "time to shift gears". Curiously, Nokia's Indian announcement precedes the company’s scheduled Lumia event in London by five days. The latter will likely be the place...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to mimic @ 2013-05-02 06:33 from U}}x - click to readoh yes, me, my brother and a few hundred millions of others, no need for you to care, even no need for you to comment here

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 15:32
  • 3TLE

Its gona b the Asha 210 and Asha 210 dual sim... lovely phone with dedicated Whatsapp button. Budget phone. Under $100

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 15:14
  • rr1p

Will it be quality build tablet/keyboard.. And the 41mp super windows phone. Are could be the morf technology. Are new solar charging. Who knows but this will propel Nokia back to the top in an angry birds slingshot. Cant wait

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 14:12
  • nxM6

it's just an asha phone with facebook home button.

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 11:48
  • thgx

> In reply to Spacebar @ 2013-05-02 03:38 from X3tv - click to readThats what ive said..... Read it correctly

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 08:10
  • rKbU

Ten new Asha Flips wouldn't that be a hoot, I miss the flips.

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 07:49
  • vMfZ

do you think its the 301 announcement?.

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 07:44
  • vMfZ

> In reply to mimic @ 2013-05-02 06:33 from U}}x - click to readIncorrect.

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 07:25
  • Fv4$

nokia? nobody cares

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 06:33
  • U}}x

> In reply to PAVANM @ 2013-05-02 01:54 from up1s - click to readNo matter what the OEM is, it will still lag nevertheless. It's Android you know?

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 03:38
  • X3tv

Ah!!!! Pls stop this.....
If nokia is really interested in joining android... Then why does it innovate more n more on wp???
To bankrupt?? Think before ink

the reason i like nokia some years ago because its unique
but now i like it coz it dint join the droid community and gave us a lagfree ecosystem

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 01:54
  • up1s

> In reply to PL2 @ 2013-05-02 00:30 from mxUc - click to readWhy did you say that everything will be so locked down? WP has more option to be open as compared to iOS.

Bluetooth transfers, Mass Storage mode, lockscreen options, tiles customizations these are the ones that I can think of currently but I am sure there might be more. WP8 is just 9 months old and yet it can stand against iOS and Android in few areas. It will only get better with time.


Yes competition is always healthy and more the options the better it is. With the intro of Sailfish, Firefox OS, Ubuntu and Mer project its going to be a battle for sure. But this view is not shared by Android and Samsung fanboys. They think that only Android and Samsung should rule the world. And act as if their existance is being taken away by introduction of new OS or a company trying to make a come back. I agree currently they are the top, but boasting about it makes them look desparare and insecure.

As for the real chicken and egg question I can effectively prove chicken came before the egg. Let me know if you want an answer for this one. I would gladly reply.:)

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 01:07
  • tt1I

> In reply to TheApprentice @ 2013-05-01 23:39 from HkXu - click to readWe have a chicken and egg situation. Only time will tell ultimately. What I personally want to see out of all of this healthy competition and choices for us as customers. What concerns me is that a Nokia\MS dominated world will make Apple look like open source by comparison. Everything will be so locked down you will be lucky if you can even change your screen saver!

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 00:30
  • mxUc

> In reply to TheApprentice @ 2013-05-01 22:40 from tt1I - click to readFor nokia there is no other option so they did.

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-02 00:21
  • 7tKw

> In reply to PL2 @ 2013-05-01 23:27 from mxUc - click to readThe reason WP7 was rushed was to somehow save Nokia. WP is a fresh start and I agree that WP7 to WP8 no upgrade was a shot in the foot. But MS was ready to take that gamble just to save Nokia. Agree that WP is kind of a feature wise downgrade compared to WinMo, but I as I said its a fresh start. So yeah things will be missing at first and will be added as the OS matures. But for the OEMs need to show some interest. Its like a symbiosis, help us to help you. If Nokia who is at the bottom of the market can commit completely to WP and yet bring out some amazing devices then I think Samsung and LG with all their might can bring more better ones. Atleast Samaung has no reason to hold back, even if WP fails, it won't even scratch the surface for Samsung. I am not MS is compeletly right they also did mistakes, but now they are on a path to rectify those and require all the help they can get. Besides Samsung and HTC both have 2 more WP devices lined up. Lets see what they have to offer.

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-01 23:39
  • HkXu

> In reply to TheApprentice @ 2013-05-01 22:58 from tt1I - click to readI think we are coming at this from opposite angles. HTC, Samsung. LG won't commit to WP any more because of its appalling track record. Apple and Google both provide meaningful upgrades for their phones. MS don't hence they are already at a dis-advantage before they even start. I would actually argue that while WP7 was a much needed complete code re-write, it was rushed to market before it was ready and hence was not feature complete. Telling me that as an HD2 customer running Windows mobile 6.x I cannot use my memory card in my next WP 7.x phone and must switch to Zune and go from a 32 GB card to 16 GB of internal only storage was sheer lunacy. You can afford antics like that when you are the market leader; unfortunately they were not and hence one reason why it failed. WP7 was also less customisable than and had fewer apps. than 6.x. As an eco-system it was terrible by comparison to even itself, let alone the competition. Can hardware vendors thus be blamed for shunning it. Sorry but I honestly think not MS brought it on themselves. Nokia by partnering with them exclusively will be viewed the same way by end users. Hardware vendors will only commit to an eco-system they think people want and that they can hence sell.

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-01 23:27
  • mxUc

> In reply to PL2 @ 2013-05-01 22:50 from mxUc - click to readI also agree Windows Mobile was amazing but its CE was too limited according to the newest tech. Still they tried WP7 using the CE but it failed. Hence they decided to completely redesign the OS using the NT now know as WP8.

Why think negative. See it this way 90% of something is itself a big deal.

May be you need to update mate: - http://www.gsmarena.com/kantar...ews-5945.php

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-01 22:58
  • tt1I

> In reply to TheApprentice @ 2013-05-01 22:40 from tt1I - click to readSorry but the HTC HD2 running Windows Mobile was a fantastic phone in its time. I know because I owned one. Poor marketing on the part of MS meant there was no sensible upgrade path from it. Hence why many people who owned it ended up on Android or IoS.

To say Nokia have 90% of the WP market may be quite true and I would not dispute it but 90% of nothing is still nothing. WP's market share is currently at just over 1%. Even BB is doing better.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/mi...e-april-2013

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-01 22:50
  • mxUc

> In reply to PL2 @ 2013-05-01 22:28 from mxUc - click to readSamsung and HTC etc. who dominate in the Android market cannot sell WP in a meaningful way - Simply because they are way too much focused on Android and are not giving the required attention to WP. Ask them to produce the same number of WP handsets that of Android and see what results you get. What has these two released so far? 4 devices? Nokia alone has released more than that. Nobody wants or you don't want? Already WP is third in ranking, of which 90% is Nokia.

What makes Nokia think that they can pull this off? - Because Nokia is dedicated to WP not like Samsung and HTC giving half hearted efforts.

FYI - LG has already said they are not going to produce any WP device. You can replace Huawei with that.

It is not pride at least not an arrogant one. They made a plan and are sticking to it. They cannot afford to make experiments at this stage when they stand low in the market position. Its a high possibility that the plan might backfire.

  • Reply
  • 2013-05-01 22:40
  • tt1I

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.