News - Reader comments

Strategy Analytics: Android had 80% market share in Q2

02 August, 2013 | Read the news | Post your comment
Strategy Analytics: Android had 80% market share in Q2 - read the full textIts safe to say that the Android OS has extended its dominance without any real competition from any other mobile operating systems out there. According to Strategy Analytics, Android has recorded a whopping 80% global market share during Q2, 2013. The Google developed Android OS has accounted...

 

Sort by:

The world doesn't know what they lost. Symbian did everything android does and more and like you say with further development they would be king, and with time everyone grows just think how terrible was android 1.6 and 2.1! I can still remember the time where Nokia had 80% of the world market and the question was what Nokia you owned not what phone you owned, and people with different Nokia's would compete with each other n claim there's to be the best. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication!, and that was Symbian!

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 23:11
  • Np@s

It's normal, one company against more than 10, one phone against hundreds. Apple still a very good company wit strong products.

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 21:49
  • npV3

> In reply to Rad-K @ 2013-08-02 19:22 from 0ZJS - click to readHaha haha very funny

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 21:49
  • uv6R

A very simple way to deal with things....look what the other camp has to offer..learn but then innovate & improvise in your own unique way,keep your consumers at the heart of everything & you have a winner.

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 21:35
  • XNtq

> In reply to EskeRahn @ 2013-08-02 18:01 from 3ii} - click to readI had WP 7.X and got WP 8. In fact, I couldn't wait to get it

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 21:26
  • jZ6@

Due to this some huge problems and unstable nature of Android, it's going to be dead in a few years. I think Sailfish OS has a chance to be in the top three in a few years. WP OS is reaching towards its maturity and maybe soon it will attract more users. It's not surprising why Android sold more, it's simple. Android has many manufacturers and it comes in every price, however entry level Android phones are better to be avoided because you can't have a smooth experience with it. It's sad that there's no mention of BB OS.

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 21:17
  • t1$A

I am so happy that Android is taking over slowly from IOS and the bloated apple who is having their overflating bubble burst. now I hope Apple understands that they need to make their products cheaper and really innovative to try and win the market again. BB needs to infuse more tech into their phones to offer a better product for cheap....the only way they will survive. Nokia should move to Android, dump W8 and may be restart another OS on their own later.

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 21:01
  • 4XNn

In fact we must talk about "ecosystem" and not about gadgets and gadgets marketshare. Personally, on long term I bet on Microsoft-Nokia tandem. A solid tandem on "communication-ecosystem". Android is growing to fast to be stable on long term. Apple is strong today on smartphone market but I'm afraid about his "ecosystem".

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 20:53
  • JEE5

Nokia is right to stay with windows. they are pushing them to make changes and updates.
the win mobile os is the best platform right now, ok so the apps arent all there yet, but the numbers are growing at an increasing rate, and as everyone forgets with win os, most of the important common apps are BUILT IN!! +they have many other Nokia exclusive programs and apps over the normal wp os.

if they went to android they wouldnt sell, all the money would be flowing to google, i mean just look at htc + sony - they cant compete. also android is on the decline, more people realise the HW quality is lacking , and there is no real innovation thats useful - i mean who actually uses the eye tracking camera thingy without it messing up all the time ?? or the floaty finger thing (they are so crap i cant even be arsed to look up the names).
androids biggest competition is themselves, they will mess it up with laggy sw, especially when WP8 matures and gets into full swing

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 20:37
  • n53m

for other OSes to beat android, they first need to becum android which i think iOS is not capable of while WP has that potential n recent developers sailfish, firefox, tizen too are all free OSes but since they r yet to start their journey while android is already miles away, defeating it z not feasible... android is the leader...

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 20:29
  • fCPf

> In reply to inky @ 2013-08-02 19:39 from Q%Kc - click to readsailfish is other story. Why do you prefer android? Because it is unrestricted, you can do on it hacks, cracks, mods, endless customizations, pirating apps, etc, etc. Just imagine you had the same on a symbian/maemo/meego derived os, but in a more polished way and more secure and a superior quality Nokia phone. What would make you go android then if you had a better option?

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 19:50
  • 0ZJS

> In reply to Rad-K @ 2013-08-02 19:22 from 0ZJS - click to readOpinions aside, i doubt that android would be "unexisting", regardless of further development of meego/sailfish.
The fact that android has proliferated the market as fast and dominant as it has, speaks to the consumer far better than lost potential in other OS's

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 19:39
  • Q%Kc

> In reply to popye @ 2013-08-02 19:00 from t7Xk - click to readiOS is a functionally useless pseudo-OS and Mac OS is rubbish compared to Windows 7.

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 19:36
  • ajUc

> In reply to samsung fan boy @ 2013-08-02 19:05 from Kxqf - click to readNokia's troubles are deeper than what can be seen. In fact Nokia didn't need any OS, neither android nor wp, they had their awesome symbian, maemo, meego, which if further developed, android would be nearly unexisting. But in a rapidly changing market they fell in need for a strong financial support, so they were forced to go wp. And Nokia is doing their job excellent, but MS is not :(

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 19:22
  • 0ZJS

> In reply to samsung fan boy @ 2013-08-02 19:05 from Kxqf - click to readYour nickname says it all

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 19:10
  • jZ6@

I think this will hurt nokia so much! Their partner microsoft cause nokia to go bankrupt soon.n still nokia has a stubborn disease not to hold the winning party but stay on with the stupid windows.

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 19:05
  • Kxqf

Android is the exact mobile counterpart of Windows. Both are very popular among the masses only because of many cheap models. Both are versatile OSes, great on highend machines but absolute crap on lowend. Though both the most popular OSes does not mean the best. iOS and Mac are the best smartphone and desktop OSes.

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 19:00
  • t7Xk

As expected. Despite of a thousand flaws Android has, it is the only os who offers 'do everything' philosophy. Ios and Wp are not bad systems, but their owners simply want people accept their way of doing things, not allowing users do things their way. I hope Android dominates until others learn that without a proper file manager and access to every single piece of file, a device is dumb.

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 18:50
  • 0ZJS

> In reply to laggdroids @ 2013-08-02 18:00 from U@XN - click to readwhich movement??0.30% for the year!!

  • Reply
  • 2013-08-02 18:30
  • JKTM

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.