News - Reader comments

Qualcomm retracts its SVP's comment on Apple A7 chip

09 October, 2013 | Read the news | Post your comment
Qualcomm retracts its SVP's comment on Apple A7 chip - read the full textAnand Chandrasekher, current Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer of Qualcomm said Apple's A7 64-bit processor was "a marketing gimmick" with "zero benefit" to consumers. Now a spokesperson for the chipmaker has addressed the comment to TechRadar saying the quote by Anand Chandrasekher...

 

Sort by:

If you can beat someone with half the ram and cores and they still have to cheat on benchmark testing that shows just incompatence to the extreme...

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 20:59
  • fqk3

anyhow apple"s #A7 procesors are made by samsung..

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 20:29
  • utXF

> In reply to The Monster @ 2013-10-09 16:37 from XMFa - click to readLet us just wait for new ipad with (high enough resolution) and see whether a7x could catch up with note3 PHABLET

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 20:28
  • KZ88

there's no deny that 64 bot socs will be the future as it happened with pcs, but they are completely useless now and for the next couple of years to come.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 19:52
  • 3Ang

Oh please, some of you people are pathetic. Yes, the A7 CPU IS faster than Snapdragon 800. Perhaps not by a huge margin, but it is clearly faster, and these benchmark results have nothing to do with Android not being "optimized." You people need to drop this mystical "optimization" talk. Whenever there's anything that needs to be explained about mobile device performance, people always invoke "optimization," when 95% of you people don't even know what that means yourself and couldn't tell me what it is that Google hasn't "optimized" if I asked you.

Get this: the engineers at Google are not morons--Android is very well-optimized. It just turns out that Apple's engineers are pretty good at designing CPUs. Why can't we just call a spade a spade?

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 19:30
  • 7F7v

> In reply to The Monster @ 2013-10-09 18:59 from XMFa - click to readyou all keep going on about pixels.

don't forget

the iphone 5s still beats the other phones in off-screen graphics tests too.

so this is the display outputting at 1080p to an external screen.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 19:11
  • Sgv7

> In reply to The Monster @ 2013-10-09 16:37 from XMFa - click to readYou said it bro! thats the actual reason for the perfomance test score being high on iphone.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 19:00
  • uuRL

> In reply to Abhinavp30 @ 2013-10-09 16:42 from HsFK - click to readI was not talking about the exynos octa. I was reffering to the S800 quadcore. But let me teach you something. The margin that you say 'marginal at best' won't be that marginal if the Note 3 run a sub-hd display like of the iphone 5/5c/5s. You must always keep in mind that the Note 3 display (as also other Android flagships) contents not just hd but full hd res, making it has almost three times the pixel count of the iphones AND the os that it is running is the heaviest Android ever in a phone with all the Touchwiz features that make the ios7 look like a feature phone's os. So if the Note 3 beats your precious new iphone with all that heavy load, it is something to brag about.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 18:59
  • XMFa

Correction to your last comment on a7 putting s800 to shame in performance test.
The Iphone 5s has half the resolution of that of s800 equipped mobiles.. any mobile with *ONLY* HD resolution + Qualcomm S800 processor will smoke the iphone 5s.
So please rewrite the part where it says *shame* as iphone not S800 :)

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 18:56
  • uuRL

> In reply to 3zukr @ 2013-10-09 18:13 from 2@da - click to readAgree with you. Apples advantage is that IOS 7 was built around the A7 chipset where this is a difficult task with Android. The Moto X which is a dual core phone as well runs rings around the Galaxt S4 in some tests. Because it is optimized that way.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 18:29
  • rvcb

People, I don't think you even know A7 chip's power. I mean look at the Razer Edge which has an intel core i5 and it's a dual-core 1.7 GHZ and it beats all of the Snapdragon 800 and 600. There are more things in a chipset than arquitecture, core quantity, clock speed or optimization. Get your facts right.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 18:25
  • cN6I

ITs not the processor which is faster than snapdragon 800 or others, its just that IOS is optimized so nicely that its runs smoothly even with dual core processor and 1GB RAM. Next better optimized OS is Windows 8 mobile OS. And Android is at last, it needs Octa-core and may be next gen mobiles require 12 cores or 16 cores.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 18:13
  • 2@da

> In reply to Ram @ 2013-10-09 16:50 from YTxC - click to readMore like asteroid vs amoeba.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 18:10
  • ajUc

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-10-09 17:12 from IHbK - click to readGood description!

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 17:28
  • fxMa

> In reply to The Monster @ 2013-10-09 15:40 from XMFa - click to readAgreed, Qualcomm is afraid of a lawsuit as we all know that apple are experts in the sueing dept..... truth is it IS a marketing gimmick its like having a 80litre petrol tank on a motor cycle and claiming its lighter than regular cars on fuel

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 17:22
  • NH5@

> In reply to JBird @ 2013-10-09 16:59 from JxSk - click to readYou are so misinformed it's not even funny. Apple's chip isn't faster than even the snapdragon 600, but performs much better due to operating system being better optimized. Look at how fast x264 is now at encoding than it was a few years ago, and it's all thanks to Dark_Shikari coming along, taking the x264's author work and optimizing it for speed/quality. If Dark_Shikari was hired to oversee Android, I'm pretty sure he could optimize it and make it much faster than Apple. The improvements he administered to x264 is amazing, and I have stood idly by and watched him do magic. The case I'm trying to make here? Google should hire better developers, one with the mindset that Shikari has... if they want to have the best operating system, that is.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 17:12
  • IHbK

As of now, Note 3 rules!

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 17:02
  • YTxC

> In reply to JBird @ 2013-10-09 16:59 from JxSk - click to readYou are not right bud!

http://www.extremetech.com/mob...octa-and-a6x

http://www.poderpda.com/uso-sm...e-desempeno/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md1pklaBv1A

In fact Qualcomm BEATS Exynos in many areas, even the Octa cant match Qualcomm standards...please do a research first and then post...thats why Samsung dont toss Qualcomm from their phones..

And even Motorola, HTC, LG, Sony and many many more uses Qualcomm instead any other...

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 17:02
  • LuNr

> In reply to Primark @ 2013-10-09 15:32 from 7Xif - click to readfacepalm...the reason a7 performs better is because its an armv8 processor

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-09 17:01
  • wH5p

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.