News - Reader comments

Vivo breaks the 1080p barrier with the first 2K smartphone

16 October, 2013 | Read the news | Post your comment
Vivo breaks the 1080p barrier with the first 2K smartphone - read the full textWhile we're still far from getting 4K displays on smartphones, but the latest news from Asia indicates that Chinese manufacturer Vivo is in production of a display set to feature 2560 x 1440 pixel resolution. Vivo teased its upcoming product today, hailing it as the first 2K smartphone, but...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to bb12 @ 2013-10-17 05:30 from IWde - click to readBeing educated, this article is about more pixels for same sized screens, giving more ppi!

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 05:48
  • U$4j

> In reply to bb12 @ 2013-10-17 05:30 from IWde - click to readBeing educated, more

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 05:45
  • U$4j

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-10-16 21:12 from fvL8 - click to readthe article is not about PPI, please be educated or be relevant.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 05:30
  • IWde

> In reply to gsmarena7 @ 2013-10-17 04:14 from w4dS - click to readyou sir are correct, long live technology!

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 05:03
  • K0sn

> In reply to gsmarena7 @ 2013-10-17 04:11 from w4dS - click to readjust like most comments on here u.u

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 05:02
  • K0sn

Next thing you know, we need car battery to run this thing for a whole day. hehehe

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 04:33
  • t7Xr

whether u ppl like it or not the ppi is going to increase with every passing year n am loving it, i get better images n videos , absolutely stunning....long live technology

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 04:14
  • w4dS

gsmarena said "While a 2460 x 1440 display may seem like overkill"

for ur information, there is no such thing as an overkill in technology, with time technology advances......i think gsm arena is struck in 480*800 display phones

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 04:11
  • w4dS

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-10-16 21:12 from fvL8 - click to readAgreed. My biggest concern on smartphone right now is the battery. Carrying portable charger is almost inevitable for me. I thing around 350 or at max 400 ppi is really enought. Yes, some of you (including me) can still see the single pixel if we see it close enought, bot in real world usage, it does not matter.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 04:03
  • sxnB

And thats a bad thing?

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 03:54
  • 44rF

Instead of making batteries last longer they imported 4k resolution on mobile phones. Big manufacturers are insane if they belive that 8 cores, 16 gb ram or big res screens is what people needs. We need handsets that don't get drained after 12 houors of use, we need handsets that don't lag. Everything is going to fast, yesterday the last upgrade of Jelly Bean just apeared and now they lunch Kit Kat and they say is better, but is a gimmik to make you buy a new device because your one year old smartphone is obsolete and doesn't fit tomorrow's standards of technology. Ad they will do that every half of year forcing you to spend your money on the new and 'improuved' smartphone. This is the strategy used by Samsung to make billions. In the begining of 2014 they'll lunch the S5 and at the end of 2014 the new S6 will appear.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 03:25
  • 3xmP

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-10-17 02:48 from XMJN - click to readIncreasing above 326ppi threshold on a small screen real estate is superfluous already and pointless because you won't notice any difference. It's the same as more than 20MP on a cameraphone is not needed unless the extra huge amount of pixels are used for oversampling like in Nokia's Pureview tech. Just because these manufacturers can increase the amount of pixels and screen resolution doesn't mean they have to. 2K on smartphones is only a case of these manufacturers trying to outclass each other in this oversaturated smartphone market and not because the market calls a need for it.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 03:05
  • vFyD

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-10-16 21:12 from fvL8 - click to readActually no. I personally can see the difference. Once a friend of mine told me USB 2 is the final USB ever, as its a already 480mbps, and there is no need for faster transfer. 4 years later, came USB 3 and yet i still found it insufficient. Today some think that 1080P is more than what our eyes can see, tomorrow everyone adapts to the newer technology.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 02:48
  • XMJN

it's meaningless feature, beyond the human eye's resolution. it's no difference from a 1080 screen when viewing from normal distance

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 02:26
  • BgQQ

> In reply to [deleted post]You would need to be cross eyed to see pixels at 350+ ppi.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 01:32
  • vuA}

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-10-17 00:19 from YbjT - click to readYou misinterpret my point. I never said 2k was useful. I simply pointed out, how people tend to bash something at one moment, then welcome it, the next.

And regardless of what you say. As of NOW, 4k video recording on a smartphone is more so a gimmick, than a useful ability. Besides the fact, if 4k video has the ability to downscale to 1080p resolution, is it even 4k resolution anymore? Add the fact, that nearly to no one owns 4k televisions, let alone full hd televisions, plus a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & just happens to record videos on their smartphone on a regular basis. You have a feature that is more ir less, useless to the masses. Which in part, makes useless, besides the very, very few who use it. Somewhat similar to 3D on smartphones.

This is all coincides with my original point. 2k screen resolution on a phone at this point isn't necessary. But just like 4k video recording capabilities, phablet sized smartphones & full hd screens on a smartphone. We'll find a way to make something unnecessary. Necessary.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 01:18
  • jAG}

2K display with 2 hours battery life. You won't notice going from 1080p to 2K in such small screen.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 01:09
  • kg3U

> In reply to popye @ 2013-10-16 21:16 from PT6t - click to readcant have all two either u want a camera or a phone choose

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 00:58
  • kar1

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-10-16 21:12 from fvL8 - click to readu r absolutely rigtht boss..

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 00:40
  • 63%6
  • Hungarian Fishmonger
  • Report
  • Rating0

> In reply to TrinYa @ 2013-10-16 23:49 from YgTq - click to readDisappointed? Why are you disappointed about 2K displays being on mobile displays? Most monitors still do no feature 2K displays. You're crazy.

  • Reply
  • 2013-10-17 00:28
  • K5if

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.