News - Reader comments

US Federal law proposes 'kill switches' for smartphones

15 February, 2014 | Read the news | Post your comment
US Federal law proposes 'kill switches' for smartphones - read the full textThe ability to remotely wipe your data has been available on smartphones for quite some time now, however, a new proposed law would make this technology mandatory on all new cell phones if it's passed. In fact, the new proposed law takes it a step further by calling for 'kill switches' on all...

 

Sort by:

Can the Kill switch be de-activated in cases of lost and found devices?

  • Reply
  • 2014-06-24 11:34
  • NHKq

yes it has to be introduced to safe guard ur mobile phone frm teft our mobile phone can be safe

  • Reply
  • 2014-06-20 11:23
  • 9DHx

This is a bad ideea put in a nice ideea package. What if i don't want a kill pill in my phone ? The government would like the kill pin in every phone, because in the case of a riot or something they could just render your phone useless. Isn't that a nice ideea. (NO)

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-21 14:02
  • 0UXJ

> In reply to badideakids @ 2014-02-17 17:44 from RYfI - click to readI agree to what you say.

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-20 11:56
  • IWQ9

the police state is upon us and the people sit silently!

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-20 01:47
  • Rr3{

is not a bad idea, but would be better if you can track your phone and then give the information to the authorities so they can go and take it from the theft

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 21:46
  • xZsy

This would not be good. They want this so they can remotely disable any pictures/video you take of government abuses or other things they want to cover up.

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 17:44
  • RYfI

no, this is a terrible idea. I don't want some government mandated kill switch on my device, that I PAID for! I want to be able to control that, not the carrier and most certainly not the government - who will absolutely have access to such a thing if this law passes.

That's why I bought my own security app on the play store, there are plenty of them out there, let us user's decide on using it and which one, not the bid bag gov't deciding for us. As much as they like to do that it is already...

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 15:45
  • wMHH

i think there should be a small explosive in it too so when you do render it useless it goes up mission impossable style lol

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 13:37
  • mga0

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-02-17 04:51 from PGXj - click to readDon't you know any other OS except iOS and Android ? :-p

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 12:32
  • Bmud

Yeah. Do it. Kill switch isn't a bad idea.

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 11:15
  • X3ti

> In reply to irfan @ 2014-02-17 09:23 from Y}K4 - click to readYes. This is a good time to force google to come up with a unified sync software for their phones.

So that people can full restore their data incase of theft. And not rely on other third party.

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 09:43
  • tReM

I think this is good decision by gov. level but already it is exist by different apps and pvt. body. But there r many uncertified software which can remove.

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 09:23
  • Y}K4

very nice,and alredy same modal i looked in india (south side)...so search google

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 09:07
  • Mf5j

even if they imposed such features in the smartphone, as long as the thief don't put in a sim card or online with WiFi, the phone still can access by the thief by connecting to the PC and re-flash the phone to a new phone, whereby original owner unable to access remote lock.

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 06:57
  • IVLf

Kill switch?
A way to delete your private data like "LAST RESOURCE"?
For what?
NSA knows everything about each smartphone and your owners.

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 06:37
  • 8Cas

My opinion is that this is a good idea, actually. Phones get lost or stolen all the time, and no, not because of "user stupidity." Okay, yes. The government and wireless carriers are already looking at your stuff and can find your phone. But what if, in the wrong hands, the first thing that was done was take your important data? It would be nice if you could keep thieves out, because there would be nothing there. Besides, clouds are not hard to use. If you lose data, you can just re-download it. If you really do want your phone back, that's another story, and I wouldn't blame you either. Apps to find your phone already exist, but many don't know how to use them or don't think their phones could ever go missing. I say yes to the kill switch.

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 05:28
  • sct$

now a days most of the phones are coming with non removable batteries . so when some one steals phone they usually switches it off and then take data they want, remove everything and resell the phone after changing its IMEI. if the android or ios asks password to shutdown the device which should be atleast 128 bit encrypted , it should ask the password to enter boot menu from which one can erase everything from phone . it gives user some time to locate the phone when it is lost using some apps .

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 04:59
  • KS6H

> In reply to MdN8 @ 2014-02-17 03:52 from Bmud - click to readAhha i doubt most android users keep backups.

And bye bye sd card backup users ..

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 04:51
  • PGXj

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-02-17 03:18 from tReM - click to readYou can restore your data on any new phone, not just iPhone. If you have a back-up. And money to buy another phone.

  • Reply
  • 2014-02-17 03:52
  • Bmud

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.