This is my 3rd week experienced with Nokia 701, I salute the HW side, yes it had 1Ghz processor, 8GB memory built-in and all the stuff as advertised however, Belle applications are very limited, I could not find any apps for Video conferencing, FM Transmitter to couple GPS is not working,Opera mini pinch zoom not working, streaming video from www.veetle.com not working. I hope that some dev't would come out soon for Belle.
[Updated] Hi there, I'm using Nokia 701 since October and here's some opinions of mine, i will split it into two different categories, HW & SW, first HW then:
- the unlock button is not as good as the previous models (e.g. Nokia N97 Mini);
- Totally agree with Gsmarena regarding the menu button, it may happen (loads!) that you end up touching the screen as well while pressing this button;
- Nothing to mention regarding the remaining buttons & inputs position;
- body quality is as expected for a Nokia phone, good but still not as solid as previous models (e.g. E66 or even N97 Mini)
- communications quality is as expected for a Nokia phone, very good (Even when you have a data connection on, the stability is quite good);
- Photo camera definitely lacks the auto-focus, though when this is not necessary the pics are 8mp worth of it (16:9);
- Video camera, this works just fine and it actually tapes in stereo;
More details for photo & video:
- pics are ok for the lens 701 brings;
- video taping on outdoor is also nice;
When seeing the results on a hd tv you will be pleased!
@indoor: I think here there's nothing better than actually getting a proper photo camera!
- though if u take in small places already with some lights the pics aren't that bad, at least I don't find much "noise" on the pics ...
- Screen, i would say it works quite fine (touch and brightness) and i might even say that is not better because of the OS...
- Autonomy with a data connection always on it won't last more than 1.5 days (e.g. using whatsapp, VoIP and other services)... still better than my previous experiences;
- Autonomy with occasional data connection, e.g. check e-mails/browse/chat times to times, play once in a while, listen a bit to music (or even transmit it), the autonomy increases a lot, it go up to 3 days.
Note: Both autonomies are subject to each persons use of course, in this input, Bluetooth and NFC is always off.
- Tv-Out works fine despite the poor cable availability (i had to buy a Philips one...) and also the video quality, since it's analogue the quality could clearly be much better;
- Usb on the go, I managed to get the usb on the go cable and it works quite fine, it allows you to copy data both ways, play music, video, etc from the storage device but be aware that ntfs file system is not supported.;
- NFC, i've tried to use this tech and my first experience wasn't as smooth i was expecting to be, i tried to unlock Angry Birds Free with Magic levels by touching other NFC enabled phones (Nokia 701 and N9) and it wasn't just by tapping as it is published, i actually had to have them touching a for a little while, and this was with the Nokia 701, with the N9 it didn't really work out... (there's a option on the menu which is if it should ask you before sending and i had to disable this option...)
- The ring quality is as published in this website, poor and it only has one speaker ...
- FM Transmitter works fine, sound quality ain't that bad, the volume is lower than regular FM radios transmission; Also,, it's a petty this solution can't be used as free hands on a car;
- DLNA (This is more SW than HW though in many equipments you may see this as a HW feature...), this is possible through still beta Nokia "Play to", it works quite fine, i've tried to a computer and a PS3 and when sharing with a PS3 for some reason the app doesn't detect PS3, you will have to go to connectivity settings and enable "Play To server"
- Wireless & BT, nothing to say, works fine plus it's the latest tech in the market (WiFi N & BT 3.0);
Now the SW, this handset comes with the latest version of Symbian, Belle! Here the opinions may vary from user to user but here you go:
- Maps ! This is something where Nokia is really ahead! Of course because they provide maps and navigation system for free but also because they are actually not that bad;
- the new pull-down status bar is really useful;
- The power saving mode is also interesting;
- No weather gadget! Nokia Maps brings a Weather app but it doesn't yet come with a gadget;
- The music player could be more user friendly, i still didn't manage to know how to perform a search ! In the landscape mode, when browsing the albums you can't select one; Despite these points, music quality is reasonable and the FM can actually be useful.
- Gaming and video playing is actually very good, the screen is really impressive and the GPU enables better gaming experiences; This mobile plays DivX and even MKV although as also mentioned in this website, not all sound codecs are supported. Using Tv-Out is also interesting as it enables you to watch films, gaming and even do normal mobile browsing on the TV; I noticed that when using tv-out feature, the video playing is done it full screen while the gaming and normal mobile browsing is not done using the whole screen...
- Possibility of enhancing BT services, Nokia is making available the Nokia BT Message Access Profile (MAP)
- DLNA is available as mentioned on the HW opinion.
- SIP was a built in feature now you need to install some extra packages to enable this, don't know why Nokia went behind on this ...
- Photo & Video built in editors are actually interesting.
- Photo & video UI could be better, sometimes when i have to press a few times to actually exit the app;
- E-Mail, it's amazing that there is no option to sync e-mail manually (you can say "none" on auto-retrieval but this is not enough because you will have to specify the schedule and frequency anyway...), this means if you setup an account the phone will sync the e-mail using the internet profile which may be your operator data service; You can't specify the number of e-mails you want to sync which is also a petty ...
- Keyboard, it happened already a few times where the keyboard actually crashed; It doesn't work fine with all apps; The QWERTY version does not fit well the screen though this depends on which language your actually using; The alpha keyboard works fine though the menu keys should be somewhere else and not at the bottom, but this comment is totally my perspective...
- SW sometimes did disable my phone to make calls, e.g. if you try to call using Whatsapp i experienced some complications making a call, i actually had to reboot the phone... this also happened once when don't know why, the phone was on and with network coverage signal ok but for some reason i wasn't receiving text messages nor calls, couldn't yet find out why nor i did experience this more than once ...
- Something happened to the "Log" option, now it's not possible to see your data connections details, don't know why...
- You can't find all apps (e.g. original Skype app) you may find for other platforms (e.g. Android) but still there's plenty of things here, you can still use the most popular apps, for example, Whatsapp, Nimbuzz, Skype (using IMO), Dropbox (cuteBox), Google Apps (Though they are stopping to update their products for Symbian), and plenty of other stuff is still popping out;
I have explore almost all Symbian versions and i must say this Belle is the best one, the only thing is it was released after Symbian end announcement...
I don't have much experience with other OS's, a bit with BlackBerry with which i was so not happy (OS 5.0, they are now at 7.0...), also a bit with Iphone and details like not being a multi-task by detault scared me but probably by now all have improved.
Its well known that Symbian will not last forever but from my point of view, it's still capable to do loads of things if not all.
Hope my review helps out.
Anonymous, 06 Dec 2011you are the one uninformed, why don't you check the samsung link and look the phones one by on... morei have used galaxy w and 701 of my friends bro,id tell a short review on it
1.looks 701:9/10 galaxy w 5/10
2.u.i 701 8/10 galaxy w 10/10
3.battery 701 is said to last 1.5-2 day galaxy w 13 hrs -1 day.
4.performance both are same cant feel any difference.
5.price galaxy w is costlier slightly
6.screen:701 10/10 galaxy w 7/10
7.camera:701 9/10 galaxy w 7/10
Video recording:701 10/10 galaxy w 7/10
Overall : i will give both 8/10.
It's good mobile but while u start for internet it's not opening full pages & picture as compare to price & other mobil facility in samsang u can see the picture (photo ) Attachment is also not opening
Chillz, 05 Dec 2011Well both of you are mad or less informed...first of all there is nothing called as galaxy w..... moreyou are the one uninformed, why don't you check the samsung link and look the phones one by one? I'll cut my finger if you couldn't find galaxy w. Of course I also know than Omnia W. I even Saw Galaxy W in the front of my very eyes when I visited the samsung store here in the Philippines. Galaxy W is not Omnia W, Galaxy W is also known as Samsung galaxy Wonder. Why not try to search the phone before you make such comments?
I think the spec have error. According to Nokia Malaysia website which show the spec,
1)Nokia 701 support micro sd card up to 64GB of capacity, not just 32GB.
2)It has a gorilla glass for scratch resistant screen surface
3)Have document viewer to view pdf, word, excel and powerpoint
4)Video recording have image stabilization
NOKIA Fan, 05 Dec 2011please help me guyzzz....
May be i will buy a smartphone tommorrow, my requirement is given b... moreNokia 701 has great video camera and the photo camera is pretty good to. The samsung you mention vant compete in this matter. I think Nokia 701 is really cheap at Euro260. Buy it.
ooh the screen is awesome also!
I like this phone , but I hope will be skype video for it.
so I think , I will get it after some , mybe skype will make new app for nokia 701.
please help me guyzzz....
May be i will buy a smartphone tommorrow, my requirement is given below:
OS doesn't matter, super smooth touchpad, good battery life, super brighter screen and good camera quality with any OS.
As my requirement i found 2 smartphone
1. NOKIA 701 2. SAMSUNG Galaxy SL in this price range
But i'm still canfused between this 2 phone
What should i do? pease help me..........Thnx
Anonymous, 05 Dec 2011Hmm Thanks! I think I would go for Nokia 701, I did some researches and found out that galaxy ... moreWell both of you are mad or less informed...first of all there is nothing called as galaxy w.. Its omnia w and it doesnt run on android it uses windows os 7.5 mango:-).
I have planned to buy this phone..but user plz suggest me whether to buy nokia701 or go with N8..Is battery back up,audio quality s good..Ringing tone volume s able to hear in crowd areas..currently am using nokia5800xpress music..Its also a good mobile..
awesome handsets, but it would more better if camera was autofocus & with dual stereo speakers as 5800xm has.
Baby, 03 Dec 2011Why can't play skype at nokia 701? I am so sad. No good too much.no sound.After seeing the screen only we came to know that we are getting call.that much sound low even in normal areas