Nokia Asha 501 - user opinions and reviews

Nokia

8.2
7.8
7.9

At this low price this phone is very good.. Thanx 2 nokia for this....

• 2013-08-07 00:50
  • upfy

Is nokia asha 501 supporting watsapp? If yes i want to know how to download it......

• 2013-08-06 21:56
  • 7txR

> In reply to JMK @ 2013-08-06 20:54 from Sbcq - click to readIgnore my previous comment. Watched the demo video and sadly, there isn't multi-tasking in the Asha 501. At least, not yet.

However, I can't help but try and imagine how this Nokia Asha OS (if enhanced with true multi-tasking) would feel like on my stupid useless WP8 Lumia 620, which has by far better hardware specs. They don't say what CPU the Asha 501 runs on but I doubt it would beat the 1Ghz Krait Dual core processor and Adreno 305 GPU in the 620. Let's not get into the RAM, as what the 620 has over the 501 seems like having acres of land for a playground.

What bugs me the most is the Asha OS gets to have a REAL file manager. It also gets a drop-down notification area with quick switches. It even has wallpaper options and best of all, a very easy way to kill/close apps with a simple swipe.

I'm not saying Nokia made a stupid useless phone by making the 620; they just put a backward OS that isn't even capable of truly multi-tasking.

I wish, as customers, we could get to choose the software from a list of OSes that they have (Symbian, Meego, Asha, Win...Yuck, etc) to go with the hardware. Naturally, that would require a lot of work (recoding hardware drivers, etc). But the end customer satisfaction would be unrivaled.

Imagine walking into a shop, ordering a Lumia 920 and being asked "And what would you like it to run on? We have Symbian Belle, Meego Harmattan and Asha. There is also Windows Phone 8, but that is more or less still under development as we speak..."

My humble opinion.

PS: Any geek out there who can succefully port Belle/Meego to my Lumia 620? :D

• 2013-08-06 21:50
  • Sbcq

I don't know about anybody else, but I somehow got the idea that this new Nokia Asha platform 1.0 OS can switch apps.
Does this new Asha have multi-tasking (finally!!!!)?

• 2013-08-06 20:54
  • Sbcq

when will asha 501 3g phone launch in india. wanna buy it.liked asha 501 but no want 3g in it.....3g 3g 3g!!!!!!!

• 2013-08-06 20:44
  • vGt8

does this phone supports themes like other nokia phones? can i set wallpaper from my own pictures or i have to use pictures already given in the phone?

• 2013-08-06 20:08
  • ute1

Can anyone plz say ne. How to increase volume of alarm ton. It is not so loud by default.

• 2013-08-06 20:04
  • uvL$

> In reply to ISD @ 2013-08-03 08:54 from g8qA - click to readdo u have samsung young?? how is it coz im too planning to buy it or shuld go for asha 501

• 2013-08-06 20:02
  • t}eg
  • WinAndLinuxTutorials
  • Rating0

> In reply to Gaggi Bti @ 2013-08-06 19:41 from utpD - click to readI believe you can't send those files to your 501 because of the server compression that Nokia browser uses. Opera mini uses server compression too, so probably it will not work. Try UC browser but I am not sure if it's going to work. If it didn't try other browsers. Good luck!

• 2013-08-06 19:58
  • S9e7

If there is no text copy paste in messaging,notes etc.,it is useless. All s40 phones had this text copy paste feature in them.Also is there any wap browser than that poor copy of Opera Mini called Nokia Browser? I could send files from my iPhone via WiFi to my Chinese feature-phone with a wap browser. But it will not be possible with Nokia Browser. Someone posted that you can use copy paste feature in UC Browser or opera mini,guys that feature will work in browser only and will not extend to notes and messaging app. This is not android where you can add new facility with an app.

• 2013-08-06 19:41
  • utpD

> In reply to singhnsk @ 2013-08-06 14:56 from bCgW - click to readIt is not proper to insult someone whose opinion is devoid of bias but meant to make handset manufacturers not to take us for granted.

• 2013-08-06 19:26
  • N9@S

Great phone for the price. Whenever i play music on my Asha 501 it reminds me of the sound of N73. Camera is better and screen quality is very nice. Battery backup is amazing. The UI is fun to use and it reminds me of MeeGo. The best thing about this phone is that it doesn't lag. I'd say this is a better than those entry level Android phones which lags a lot. This RAM is low but there's no problem with it. It's enough for Asha OS. The default browser is amazing as it compresses 50% of my data. Really a nice and simple phone. Using since two weeks i am very happy with it. Hats off to Nokia and Asha team.

• 2013-08-06 19:22
  • t1$B

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-08-05 13:02 from v0qx - click to readGo 2 d prtocular sms, tap n hold n der u will get d opt to forward etc

• 2013-08-06 17:42
  • 7tx$

Posting rules
English only
Please no foul language, be polite and use common sense
No expressions of hatred based on race/ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, disability, and religion
No SPAM, no commercial advertising, no referal programs of any kind
No bashing - deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand
No trolling - deliberately antagonizing other brand/model users
Read before you post. Search before you post. Your question is probably already answered
Posting your contact info such as phone number or email is not a good idea. We won't be responsible for any unwanted consequences.

• 2013-08-06 17:05
  • Liy8

Well, altogether it's pretty much like my Prestigio. Dual-sim, complimentary 4GB SD card, not-so-much internal memory, average camera, wi-fi, built-in file manager etc.
The biggest difference is Android Gingerbread and battery longevity.
On the minor part, I think it's overall okay phone for people without much need to be overly awesome. It's simple enough, powerful enough, handles two sim, has enough of extra memory, sports a variety of socializing options and isn't too expensive.
Of course, it cannot be compared to Android but spec-wise there're enough similarities and while I'd go for this phone as well I still like my Prestigio a tiny bit better, mostly because of chokeful more internal memory and Android (which still is better than Asha OS)

• 2013-08-06 15:51
  • nTWE

> In reply to Anna @ 2013-08-06 03:25 from maB} - click to readTo hell you should go if you're comparing Belle with Asha. Look at the Price you pay man! 501 is just for Rs. 4500 :/

• 2013-08-06 14:56
  • bCgW

Not Android. Low internal/RAM. smartphone? hmm not really its more like a javaphone

• 2013-08-06 13:25
  • t7Xh

WHEN is this whats app coming for this fon???

• 2013-08-06 12:59
  • Kcw2

When will be the update available for NOKIA ASHA 501 ?

• 2013-08-06 12:48
  • 7j@}

The specs is not wow, but it's quite interesting. Nokia should added a preloaded document viewer in the upcoming Asha

• 2013-08-06 10:47
  • 61P7
Total of 5785 user reviews and opinions for Nokia Asha 501.