I had this mobile for more than 18 months and here is a thorough review.
Good things -
This phone is a beast. Got a powerful processor, good RAM and i had 64GB SD card so it is like my mini computer. I play games a lot. I never faced any lag with any sort of game. Even between switching apps in the middle of a game and coming back to the game was so smooth. This phone handles multi tasking very well.
The camera was so awesome that I stopped using my bulky DSLR camera. The camera can record 4K video which is another added advantage. Though the front camera wasn't that exciting, it produced some decent pictures.
The display resolution is so high that the text and images appear so clear and crisp. Watchin movies for long time doesn't cause much strain as the display is 6".
I use the phone for almost everything. Navigation, voice command, GPS based reminders, activity tracking, document viewing/editing, remote desktop controlling, Microsoft Lync communicator etc. So basically i will be connected over my cellular data all the time. With such heavy load, the phone battery will still last for 24 hours. I never had to charge in middle of the day. The battery life is too good.
Now lets see what is truly bad about this phone -
1. The front camera - I wish they had positioned the front camera a little lower. The camera is located at the top, its is close to the glass curve and due to that if there is a light source above your head, the light reflected on the edges will cause a purple glare which becomes annoying most of the time.
2. The soft keys at the bottom are too sensitive. Most of the times i end up hitting the windows key or the cortana search key.
3. The biggest issue with the phone is the display touch. I have had issues for past 6 months with the display touch. It is a very common issue with all the owners. It is a manufacturing defect. That is what i could say. The three soft keys gets pressed by itself most of the time. Even though I keep the phone down, the display just keps switching, cortana popping up by itlself and it will get so annoying in middle of a phone call or while using navigation. The touch randomly works at different pressure points on the screen and i had clearly expeienced with Hungry Shark game. Touch even becomes unresponsive most of the times. The only way to make it responsive is to lock the screen and then unlock. Some times that doesn't work. As the screen doesn't respond to touch, restarting your phone is impossible except by force shutdown shortcut keys (volume down + power key for 10 seconds). I had to restart atleast 10 times a day to fix the issue. I thought of changing the display controller but the reviewers had mentioned the problem to reoccur even with the new display. It appears to me ( i could be wrong here) that the display some how is under lot of stress from the body casing. That is what is causing the touch to work random. This is the only reason i would never recommend this phone to any one.
4. This is a software issue - The three soft keys doesn't turn off while watchin videos or playing games which becomes very very annoying at dark. Dimming the display brightness doesn't dim the keys. It caused lot of strain to the eyes. Microsoft can fix this issue if they are aware of it.
5. Phone heats up a lot but considering the processing power and huge display, it is unavoidable.
Overall it would have been a great phone if the display touch were good.
I forgot to mention, I lost my tolerance with the touch issue as explained in point three, i threw the phone while i was trying to access and touch not letting me to get in the phone. I was trying to enter the pin number to unlock but it typed some random numbers and kept locking the phone which irritated me a lot. Now the phone got a good hit on the floor, causing the display to pop out a little bit on side and i guess the phone is messed up as i couldn't access the camera, the loud speaker is not working. I guess i will be switching to a decent android phone after a long time.
bye bye lumia series. I have had enough with you.
Nickname15, 13 Sep 2015Actually, I never had such issues... The only issue I had is... None actually :). In my opinio... moreI had only one issue with this phone is with the touch screen. There is no way i could predicut if the touch will respond to me or not. Everytimes the touch becomes unresponsive, i had to lock the screen and then unlock again. Sometimes even that doesn't help. Had to force restart by holding the volume down and power keys because the touch slide down to shutdown won't work. Atleast i had to restart ten times a day to fix the issue. Finally I lost my patience and broke the phone. Yeah i lost 550$ but i am happy with a basic android phone now.
My main problem was overheat. In summer the heat is so intense even the LCD get yellow zones in the upper screen. One day gets so hot the 1525 turns off by itself for 1 hour. and need to put in the freeze inside an plastig bag to cool it down. Is a nice hot-phone...
Allan, 12 Sep 2015It's impossible that you haven't experienced Issues with Lumia 1520 such as:
1) Text inside s... moreActually, I never had such issues... The only issue I had is... None actually :). In my opinion this is the perfect smartphone.
Its the best phone ever. Excellent performance, camera, battery, touch, video recording capabilities and above all stable, never crashes. We need more phone like this.
Anonymous, 11 Sep 2015HELLO TECHJUNKIES,
i am a hardcore user of lumia 1520 using it from last 2 years still now... moreThere are some apps that you could use to help you to open up PDF files.
You can't find in the store!
Allan, 09 Sep 2015It's impossible that you haven't experienced Issues with Lumia 1520 such as:
1) Text inside s... moreI totally agree with you! I like certain aspects of Windows Phone,
but the most basic aspect don't work well!
I use Lumia 920 (with 8.1 ) and stability is even worse than you described!
It is almost impossible to use the web due to constant page jumping, crushing,
scaling issues and web rendering issues that you mentioned.
WINDOWS 10 PHONE INTERFACE?!
1) almost no space between tiles
2) uglier contact interface
3) uglier dial pad!
4) Text Message layout? No words to describe it!
4) more dull keyboard with a stupid dot over some key!
3) still too many clicks to access basic settings
4) theme colors have some bug (you click one color and shows a very different shade of that color)
I DEMAND THAT ANYONE FROM MICROSOFT
responds here! What is going on?!
Nickname15, 08 Sep 2015I can see that you never used a windows phone before. I am using the lumia 1520 and web brows... moreIt's impossible that you haven't experienced Issues with Lumia 1520 such as:
1) Text inside search boxes often goes outside the search box
2) Text and Images on certain website overlay one another
3) In many webpages text doesn't fit the screen parameters.
. AND STABILITY ISSUES, SUCH AS:
1) constant crashing of certain pages
2) often uncontrolled page jumping all over the place
3) often page freezing
4) often page flickering
Cheap Android phones also have some stability issues, but not expensive Android phones. And no Android phone has web rendering issues today. Stability issues of cheap Android phones include:
1) occasional web page crushing
2) occasional page freezing
(maybe occasional page flickering and page jumping, although not I'm aware of) .
Allan, 07 Sep 2015Stop disinformation please.
Android is not just for games!
It is in fact much closer to a re... moreI can see that you never used a windows phone before. I am using the lumia 1520 and web browsing is gorgeous. Before it I used an android device and I can say that in any aspect( in my opinion, of course) it is better( beside gaming thanks to the smaller store).
And I never said that android is ONLY for games. What I said is that if you want to play games android is better.
And yes, android is more similar to the desktop windows.
This the best windows phone currently,...... I just wish the front camera was much better though.
Ninos, 05 Sep 2015I didnt owned smartphones, i want it to this be my first, I am hardcore fan of Nokia, I had th... moreYes it is upgradable to windows 10. I am running Windows 10 now but the developers
One of the lumia models made by Nokia I have one I bought last year and am still using it as replacement to my nokia E7 in use since 2011
SYED, 04 Sep 2015widows at present has the most absurd market.... thats the reason it is losing many of its us... moreThe biggest issu is not with APPS (althogh it is an important issue) but stability issues and web rendering issues that are still not fixed, even in the latest build of Windows Phone 10! (I've been using it on my Lumia 1520)
SAME OLD ISSUES OF WINDOW PHONE:
-Many web pages crush!
-Many web pages experience constant screen flickering!
-Many web pages freez on scrolling or before you start scrolling
-Many web pages dont render properly:
a) text, photos or other content don't fit into screen parameters
b) text goes over the pic or pic goes over the text
c) when scrolling the paged left/right or up/down the page jumps back to the previous point or jumps multiple directions for few seconds.
Not only these issues are not fixed, but windows 10 phone interface became 2 times more complicated and uglier than on windows phone 8.1 How come no official technology website never talks about all these issues of Windows Phone but constantly talk about lack of APPS?
MICROSOFT: FIX IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
I didnt owned smartphones, i want it to this be my first, I am hardcore fan of Nokia, I had them like 4 and I am with all pleased.. Had only simbian Nokia.. So only question is 100% that is upgradable to Win10, is someone that tried or what.. Thank you
Anonymous, 02 Sep 2015does it exist another way to charge it faster? thank youMy stock charger some times doesn't charge it so I am using Lumia 730 original charger...4 hours. It's fast for 3400mah battery
ben, 02 Sep 2015How easy to turn off the sound of windows phones. Before u slide up your sleep mode screen, pr... morewidows at present has the most absurd market.... thats the reason it is losing many of its users ..... if windows doesnt improve its app store . well i dont know whats gonna happen.... any ways if we are tslking about best windows phone ''''its going to be lumia 830