Excellent review I have found online.
Why should you buy WP? Why not Android or iOS? Best answer is WP does BASIC tasks very efficiently. WP is not app-centric like Android or iOS.
1. You can integrate all contacts from all ur accounts (Facebook, Hotmail/Outlook, Google, LinkedIn, twitter etc.) into single place called people's hub.
You can create a group, by choosing some people & name that group, then pin it to start. That group tile only contains info about those people u selected. If u swipe right side, you get all updates from all set accounts in single place like Facebook wall/tweets etc.
If you use android or iOS, you must install multiple apps and jump between them and there are some 3rd party apps too but their experience is very dull and not polished compared to integrated approach of WP.
2. Pressing camera key launches camera no matter where u are, even if phone is locked (long press camera button). Snap a pic and instantly share it in any way u want (NFC, Mail, Bluetooth etc). Same works for search button.
Many times you install applications related to camera. In android u must launch that app for using it. In WP, launch camera normally and press lenses option & u get list of all apps related to camera and u can simply choose one from list and bam! You get the functionality of the app , don't like that lens? Choose another or download more from store.
3. Tiles: You can pin your favourite web pages, videos, albums, documents, contacts etc. to ur homescreen for quick access. You can also pin shortcuts for switching on/off Bluetooth, WiFi etc. You can also pin Tiles for stocks, weather, news etc.
Live tiles help u to see whatís happening; they get updated in real time. Overall interface of WP is very clean, intuitive & consistent across the OS and even the third party apps.
4. Kid's Corner: You have kids? Then Kid's corner is for you. Itís is like a phone inside another phone. Turn on kid's corner and add apps, games, music which you want to allow access.
When u press lock button, phone gets turned on and now swipe towards right, u get second lock screen for your kid. Kid's corner cuts off connectivity and prevents children from access or messing with data.
Don't have kids? Use it like "Media centre" or "Nokia centre" with specific apps u selected. I turned kid's corner into media centre with all media stuff. You can also use it as Guest account by adding all non-personal apps so that you can handover ur phone to anyone without privacy concerns.
5. Sky Drive: Sky Drive uploads automatically whatever photos and contacts u added in your phone to the cloud- as Outlook or Google. You can turn off if u want, but itís quite useful because data is safe on cloud.
6. Donít forget Nokia & MS apps. They are awesome! Office and Office 365 suite is integrated in OS along with Exchange server for business users. There are official apps for other MS productivity tools like Lync.
Nokia HERE Drive is only true offline voice guided turn by turn navigation suite in whole world! You can download country or state maps and navigate offline when there is no data connectivity or no data roaming in odd places you may have to travel. What else you want?! If you do, HERE maps, city lens and transit apps complete location based experience. I have found all those apps by MS and Nokia very useful on various occasions. And itís free!
Sure, I can make even bigger list guys, but my point is simple, After u use WP for a month or two, itís hard to go back to app-centric Android.
At this price, no android device can play any high end game anyway apart from normal games, forget the rich UX and functionality of WP.
Many restrictions of WP7.x are removed in WP8. It supports drag and drop, no need of Zune or Windows Phone app (itís optional). BT file sharing is built in and works flawlessly with any other device. Kernel is changed to Windows NT so that apps are easy to port from Windows 8 and RT. Unity engine is supported for gaming so games are easy to port from Android and iOS. Expect many new apps and games in coming days to WP8 due to these core changes.
Expandable memory is added. Dual band WiFi is available on all WP8 Lumia phones. Only other devices having it are iPhone 5, iPad 4 , Galaxy S3 , Note 2 and iPod Touch 5th gen. Every other phone has 2.4 Ghz WiFi which is slower than 5 Ghz band.
Get the phone guys, itís awesome.
I think Lumia 620 is the lowest price phone with so many features you get in 30k range smartphones like NFC, Dual Band WiFi, Dual Core S4 krait Qualcomm processor, Dolby sound enhancements, rich recording dual microphones etc.
downloading and installing apps from store is easy as walking in the park :)
indian108, 14 Mar 2013well, tell me where i am wrong?
I like nokia and hope it rises but win 8 is really bad.
Thos... morefirst,i can download files from ucbrowser while txting and looking news from people hub ..isnt it that multitasking .. 2nd..we all knew at first b4 buying this lumia that ie is n0t for downloading ..
Ms promise us that file manager will appear after update..
ovel, 14 Mar 2013you are such a GREAT LIAR!!! we, true user don't believe in you .. trololol...well, tell me where i am wrong?
I like nokia and hope it rises but win 8 is really bad.
Those who have ever used android will never like it.
Hi Apprentice...as of now you have the L620...can you please confirm if the the issues higlighted by indian108 are there?
indian108, 14 Mar 2013I , like any other Indian waiting 3 long months for this mobile and was it worth it??? Lets fi... moreI don't know how u use ur phone maybe u should buy android phone I use Nokia x6 before Lumia is much better that x6
How people start commenting on everything.i just dnt get it..its kinda disgusting nd Tat to tat long..
as a fact i was interested reading it but it was too long nd i hate novels...
r3d d3vil, 14 Mar 2013Hai guys , ..All of u guys who have had a good hands on with the lumia, hows the performance o... moreIt will take sometime to settle, I had the same issue first, now it runs fine.
indian108, 14 Mar 2013I , like any other Indian waiting 3 long months for this mobile and was it worth it??? Lets fi... moreyou are such a GREAT LIAR!!! we, true user don't believe in you .. trololol...
Hai guys , ..All of u guys who have had a good hands on with the lumia, hows the performance of WhatsApp.. Mine seems to be very disorganized and cluttered , and also experiencing undue delay in incoming messages..
Hi favourite 4, i've a query frm u guys. Hope u'll satisfied me.as u've discussed in previous threads that nokia l62
is capable to play 1080p full hd video.so let me knw it play by default media player or any third party app? B'coz screen resulation is only 800x480p,so it should have been limitation upto 480p by default.as we knw l620 has been powered by msm8227 SoC,Qualcomm s4 plus dual core krait cpu coupled with adreno 305 that is capable to handle video recording & playback upto 1080p with ease.but what about resulation? So plz explaim me.... video playback depend on what factor?
I , like any other Indian waiting 3 long months for this mobile and was it worth it??? Lets find out....
My phone had over heating problem and i got it replaced but still the problem remains.
1. Decent Camera
2. Super smooth and sensitive touch comparable to any other high end phone in the market.
3. good resolution.
CONS: its a long list and most of the cons are WP8 centric...so here we go and i will be very honest..!
1. Muli Tasking is a complete joke on this phone. All the apps are suspended in the background i.e they are not working but just waiting . So if you are downloading a file and want to read a pdf doc simultaneously... dont expect this phone to keep downloading the file in the background while you read happily!! how annoying is dat??
2. Installing apps is a real pain in the aSS... you have to log in to your hotmail id to install apps.. dat is fine but even if you hav saved the xps (installation file) on your micro Sd card.. you need to connect to your windows live account to install it..!! so basically you cannot install an app or game offline ever!
3. IE 10 cannot download an mp3 file ...it can only stream it!!! so there is no way for you to download any mp3 from your favourite music site...legal or illegal..! it cannot even save a mp3 if it has been attached to a mail in your inbox!! you cant download any other file format like avi, utube vdos , rar, etc "WoW""
4. Cannot rename photos , you cannot even see the file details like resolution, image size, etc.."sigh"
5. cannot send video file by bluetooth...
6. you cannot delete mp3 songs from your phone!!! How on earth did microsoft even come up with such lame bugs???
7. whatsapp is there and installed but its still a reduced version of the android ... there are no smileys!!
8. Nokia music allows you to download latest bollywood songs for free(legal) wooowwww.... but that is a half truth.... the songs which are downloaded are compressed and so the quality sucks..!!
9. There is no sign of a file manager. So basically you cannot view or know where all your files are on the phone. So if you recieve a file via bluetooth from a friend which is not a mp3 or a video.... those files get totally lost in sum mysterious place on your phone! they eat up space and u cant even search for them and delete them.!
These are some of the bugs that i can remember on the top of my head..!! I havent yet even tested the very famous multi touch issue..!! Dont get me wrong... i really want to like WP8 but believe me microsoft have screwed up big time.! i am not even blaming nokia for the mess!!
This phone is Dumb.. even my old 6600 symbian phone dat i bought way back in 2006 was way smarter than this mobile. yes it did not have stereo sound, big fat RAM, 5 mp cam or a giant processor.... but it was smart. It ws intuitive and did not force me to do things a certain way..!! it never forced me to stay connected to install a simple app on my phone!!
It had apps that allowed me to create playlists on my phone itself...(remember PowerMp3 ??) The point is.. if you are spending 15k on a phone... it should be worth it!! i cannot force anybody to not buy this phone but atleast i can warn people about what they are getting into. The review might sound harsh but those things have annoyed me.!!
THANK YOU :)
abhizylo, 14 Mar 2013thanks will be back if i ahve more queries hope my questions also help others ...once again th... moreYou are welcome buddy, you don't owe me anything, I am just doing my bit to help others, as I too was helped by others in the same way :)
TheApprentice, 14 Mar 20131.how do i set a song as a ringtone - I just use the nokia ringtone maker. 2. same goes to th... morethanks will be back if i ahve more queries hope my questions also help others ...once again thanks mate owe you big time for all the things you do here ....thanks
Anonymous, 14 Mar 2013Lumia 620 Hanged twice in 24hrs. :-| Else its a Masterpiece :)Wow wat u do to make it hag 2 times in 1 day
abhizylo, 14 Mar 2013yo my queries for today TheApprentice youre up
okay i have a lumia 620 and here are my quetio... more1.how do i set a song as a ringtone - I just use the nokia ringtone maker.
2. same goes to the alarm - Same goes for alarm
3.got an update for the other folder thing but still hovering over the 800 mb mark any ideas for that will be helpful - Disable your auto skydrive uploading of photos
4. bluetooth streaming is quite good but i need an equaliser to work with the streaming none of the builtin apps provide that option for that(music+videos and nokia music ) suggests a music player with an inbuilt equaliser - I don't think there is any other music player.
5.how to disable the images in ie 10 - Cant
6. how to set home page to blank in ie 10 - While closing IE. Open the bottom drawer click on tab, close all the current tabs and then hit the back button to close out completely. That way next time you start it will be a blank page.