Nokia Lumia 920 - user opinions and reviews

14619935

8.0
7.9
7.9

> In reply to Ronald @ 2012-12-14 17:46 from Rc0Y - click to readHey, thank you for the reply. Yes, it is true that you need to let Symbian behind (forget about it's ways), i saw that while playing with 800 and also with this beauty in some stores. But the UI is not such a problem for me, especially that wp is quite intuitive as you said. The problem for me, lies more in the things that Symbian can do and WP cannot. I'am not so into having 3000000000 apps, i am more into having a good, great, special device:). And this 920 is one of them, but also the 808:)). Ok, this 920 packs allot of goodies to, maybe not such a good camera, but allot of goodies that, i think, can make you forget about Symbian in some time, ok if nokia will make it as closer to Symbian as they can:). Thank you very much for everything you've said. Still confused but at the end i thin 808 will win:)). Though i will wait for some updates and new comments first:).

• 2012-12-14 19:09
  • L7eM

> In reply to akrosh @ 2012-12-14 17:19 from KIpk - click to readYes. I am a heavy Skype user.

• 2012-12-14 19:08
  • Li58

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-12-14 17:22 from 4$Ff - click to read2020? I think it will happen in quarter 3-4 2013...

• 2012-12-14 18:50
  • mrGE

> In reply to carol @ 2012-12-13 21:46 from L7eM - click to read5 weeks now. Very good device. 9 outa 10. Go try it carol

• 2012-12-14 18:36
  • m5fC

> In reply to Carol @ 2012-12-14 11:04 from L7eM - click to readHello Carol. I wouldn't say that I am crippled by the WP OS because it is intuitive and everything I need to do is there, but what is different is the way things are done. Example: The connection icon that is on the top of the Symbian phone is hidden on the most of the screens on the 920. You can make it visible by tapping on the top of the screen, but that is annoying especially when you are use to it being there. But this apparently is how WP8 works. I have to tell you that I got frustrated by day 3/4 and was going to take the phone back, but I realized that I had to give the WP8 OS a chance to prove itself. So since I had 14 days to try it I played it and grew to understand it. You have to remember their approach to what the phone is suppose to be is different than what we are use to. A lot of stuff is intergrated to each other and the social component is a big part of the experience. But I agree with you that if they had made the 808 with these specs I would have jumped that train yesterday. I balanced my decision to stay this way: WP8 is just coming out of the gate so it will improve. Nokia seems to really be listening to its fans so there is hope that some of the Symbian amenities will show up one way or another. The phone is good for 2 years until my next upgrade, if the phone stays the way it is I will do well, but if the issues don't work themselves out in 2 years I can always jump ship...and by then we'll also know what Nokia's future plans really are. And finally, it is a Nokia. As as far as quality is concern, Nokia has proven itself yet again. So to answer your concerns, you will need to let go of the Symbian experience to appreciate the 920. The Symbian UI is easier, but WP8 UI isn't bad and its evolving. I hope this helps. Thanks.

• 2012-12-14 17:46
  • Rc0Y

> In reply to Ronald @ 2012-12-14 01:55 from efB7 - click to readFollowing your long story the phone has lots of shortcomings and its owners have long wish lists yet to come true. We hope next Nokia 2020 based on WP 10 will have a file explorer and Google maps being lighter, slimmer with longer battery life and loud speaker, and Microsoft, by 2020, will have at least 20% from the smartphone market.

• 2012-12-14 17:22
  • 4$Ff

have there is skype in this???? answer me quick

• 2012-12-14 17:19
  • KIpk

ha ha ha i think upcomming android suprphones r gng to pack a 5inch+ displays!"!!!!! Need a pocket for thos!!!its funny its gng bigger n bigger!!!! Ppl jst need gud gpu n cpu wid a gud ppi display (Eg:4" 720p)gud battery backup!!! Mobiles,..not a pocker breaker!!!I n above a size of bricks !!! Even my s3 lags on heavy multitasking!!

• 2012-12-14 15:30
  • v{@D

One reality about apps, all must know. While we all know that app are too limited, they are further limited in regions wise.
I stayed in middle east for couple of week after getting Lumia 920. FOR 90% of apps, when I tried to download, it says, "App not available in your region". So, don't get confused with no. of apps available in store. The real thing is how much are available for you. After all, not everybody is living in US or limited EU countries.

• 2012-12-14 15:15
  • Li58

I will make it short, I was using iPhone for about 2 years and switched to Nokia Lumia 920 about 20 days ago.the bottom line is; the device is good, but the OS is like a child standing next to two giants; iOS and Android. My advice is don't switch now.
Note, I hate Apple and I love Microsoft, but I am not very much impressed with the WP8.

• 2012-12-14 14:35
  • LbmC

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-12-14 06:00 from kg3U - click to readdude u should do marketing for nokia.. u jus murdered some apple sales there.. me for one was interested in 920..now i am suppa interested..

• 2012-12-14 11:40
  • Tr0$

> In reply to jbpianist28 @ 2012-12-14 00:25 from 2CEC - click to readHey, thank you for the reply. You don't feel like you're 'crippled' using it in front of symbian?

@Roland... Good review, thank you... But now i'm more confused after reading your drawbacks. You said is not quite easy to go from symbian to it. Also, it lacks many thigs symbian has. You also said it is very good and a shore buy (which i'm not surprissed, it is Nokia:). But i'm more confused now, i liked the 800 design but after some readings i new i cannot accomodate with wp7 so i bought my n8 cause was the only good phone for me, back then, and wasn't cheap either (i paid some good money on it minding the fact that it was already 10 months old, and there were allot of new cheapper phones, but Nokia is nokia and symbian is symbian) this is how 'fanatic' i get with symbian:)). I've heard that there are some good changes in wp8 but after your review... I a more confused. I like this design and speks. Man would have been good if the 808 looked like this and had this specks. I would for shore have bought it with eyes closed. Now things sucks. One of the Nokia future devices vs. The Nokia abandonec monster....

• 2012-12-14 11:04
  • L7eM

nokia lumia 920 vry nice mobile

• 2012-12-14 09:23
  • vGex

> In reply to nikunjishere @ 2012-12-14 04:49 from KFQx - click to readidont know what is its expecting prizes all nokia wp8 phones,,,,The all model wp8 phones coming in india 2013 january first week ....my friend is working nokia priority centre he told me yesterday....he can attent nokia upcoming model phones (wp8) training programe at chennai....

• 2012-12-14 08:36
  • rA2F

Elop ? pliz show some respect to the consumers, by adding users replaceable battery and micro SD Card slot ( like hotcakes gs 3/GN II ) instead of unibody for the flagship phone in future.
designed is super,
public rating is very high,
but markets slipped down from both hardware + software utility restriction to the consumers.

• 2012-12-14 06:58
  • rK1k

Lumia 920 vs iPhone 5

Lumia 920 >>>>>>>>>>>>­>>>>>>>>>>>>­> iPHone 5
32GB ---------------------------------------------32G­B
$99---------------------------------------------­---$299

Master Maps-------------------------------------Mess-up­ Maps
Offline GPS---------------------------------------iLost
Public transit guide for global traveler ------iLonely and secretly flirt with Siri
PureView Camera-------------------------------PurpleView Camera
Clear lowlight photos---------------------------My party photos are drunker(fuzzier) than yours
Anti-scratch------------------------------------­--Full-Scratch
Survives a fall-----------------------------------The poor pretty thing!
Gets the job done-------------------------------What job?
Good for normal people-----------------------Good for Apple worshipers
Nokia: "Sorry, we will update"-----------------Apple: "You're holding it wrong!"
Clear view under direct sunlight--------------Is my phone on?
4.5" viewing asset-------------------------------Squint retinally
Wireless charger--------------------------------Where is my this-year's-special cable?
Touchscreen wearing gloves-----------------Cut a hole on glove

• 2012-12-14 06:00
  • kg3U

Is it available now in india everywhere ??? if yes wat is price ?

• 2012-12-14 04:49
  • KFQx

Recently Chinese smartphone has use dual core & 1GB Ram in their specification & the price more cheap than this Lumia. So what's the different?
Next generation will be use 4 untill 8 core & smartphone predict can be use as personal computer. Can Lumia going tobe like this? or left behind?

• 2012-12-14 02:16
  • PRWU

I've had my 920 for 4 weeks now. I got the black one. I am a long time Nokia user and I really like the Symbian way of doing things. The Windows Phone OS troubled me which is why I didn't get the 800 or 900, but I was in a fix since my 4 year old Nokia was long in the tooth. AT&T best offering from Nokia is the 920 so I bit the bullet and went for it. It is one of my better decisions.

The best thing about this phone is that you can customize it to be a lot of things. Although I use my phone for business, I chose to make it a fun and entertaining phone. As such, it is a very distracting phone, but that's more of my fault. I will warn you that you do need to setup the phone to your taste when you first turn it on. This takes time because there are updates and stuff like that that has to be worked out, but when you are done you will know the OS workings inside out. The Live Tiles are different, but very fun with all of the flipping and changing. The phone is minimalist in design and has a understated classiness - beautiful. It is bigger than the phone I had before, but that's what I wanted in order to have the bigger screen. Speaking of screens, the screen is beautiful. I recommend it to anyone with bad eyes. It's got to be the best out there. When you move the screen up and down the image stays clean and clear...very easy on the eyes. The camera has the potential to take good pictures especially at night which has been handy already. You do need to familiarize yourself with the camera functions to make sure it is set to take the best pics from the start. Right now I suspect I'm still in my honeymoon phase because I find that I have the phone in my hands all the time looking at something.

For me the biggest shortcoming is that it isn't Nokia system driven. What I mean is that a lot of what was given in the Symbian OS is either missing or in some strange place. My friend who moved from iOS is having a easier transition because he finds that the OS thought process is similiar to that of Android and iOS, but I can't say that for Symbian. I hear that there are updates coming so I hope that some of my concerns like have a time and date stamp on the screen when it is black, the permanent placement of the signal guage, wifi icon, and bluetooth icon on top of the start screen, access to the file folder on the phone (currently it is only available when connected to a computer or some cloud drive), able to create playlist on the phone, louder talk volume, able to set separate ring tones for different features, being about to set a tile/shortcut to call forwarding, being able to call from the text screen, adding photos to your calendar post (there is OneNote, but I'm not familiar with it yet.) In all of these issues there are work arounds, but the UI could be set up better and Nokia has done better with their Symbian phones, so I still have hope.

The app store has grown in the 4 weeks and I find myself adding or upgrading apps every week so I'm entertained by this, it gives me something to look forward to. The smallness of the app offering was a concern at the beginning, but with stuff being added I'm actually enjoying it more. Its like Christmas every week when I check to see what's new. Also, Microsoft Marketplace Store allows you to try apps before you purchase...this is worth the switch alone. I'm just waiting for Whatsapp, a better pdf app, and a hotspot app and I will be complete.

The other highlight of the phone is the speed and with LTE, the experience has been great. Call quality is good, and so far no dropped calls. I got my wireless charging plate last week and I decided to set it up at work. I never realize how annoying it is to plug the phone in until I got this plate. Laying it on the plate and moving on is the way things should be. So I'll be getting one for the house too.

With all this said I can say that, I'm not getting rid of this phone anytime soon. I'm having way too much fun. The games are fun to play on this screen, watching videos and movies, especially in HD is the best, the music apps are so good that I don't need a third party app. Nokia music app is great (free music + offline playlist), but so is XBox Music and they got some weird intergration so you can see what you listen to on both. The other specialties like the map, and photo tricks that come with the phone are a good plus. I'm glad I got a Nokia Windows Phone because you can see that Nokia is putting time and energy into the phone experience.

One last thing...the weight issue that reviewers keep mentioning, I really don't know what the issue is. The phone is heavier than a lot of the new phones, but I was under the impression, based on the reviews, that the phone was going to be like holding a brick. The phone isn't heavy at all, its just heavier than a lot of the other phones out there. In fact when I hold my old phone, I find it too light now. Also, the phone slips in and out of my pant pocket with ease. So in other words, you get use to the weight and it is a good thing.

I recommend this phone to everybody. It can do most things that every other phone is doing - the Window Phone OS and app offering is young and needs to (and will) grow, BUT it is much more fun than what we are use to. The phone quality is solid and the system is fast. And finally, the 920 is a must have for anyone with bad eyes. Thanks for reading. :)

• 2012-12-14 01:55
  • efB7
Total of 11126 user reviews and opinions for Nokia Lumia 920.