Nokia N8 - user opinions and reviews

16%

7.8
7.7
7.5

but nokia why did you make such great mistake.... and look at how this four yes legendary phone n8 is getting much interest from your customers,but you end up given your company to the hands of those that can't produced such a gadget like n8 .

• 2014-12-17 17:09
  • r3Hf

16% daily interest suddenly. Nice to see the N8 is still popular despite being 4 years old.

• 2014-12-17 00:10
  • 0wxc

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-12-12 05:19 from v0qG - click to readWow, we have had 15% interest for days now. Maybe people are waiting for my reply? Why don't all those visitors ask something? Hey I'm available for interviews! Oh well. :-)

Old Symbian was so cool for the era, well even now smartphones can't do some of that stuff. I remember the 3650, one of my friends had it, and I just looked at the 3230. I still have my 6600 for which I've had a few "Oh is it the one from the movie?" comments. :-) That was my first Symbian, after that an E51 and a few phones in-between. It was so much fun with all those apps and games, I remember battery could last for a week, but with my use... A day or two.

Well Apple assumed everything right - give them one big button that they can press when they don't know what to do, and they're safe, voila, best phone ever. I remember trying to make my father take a pic with an iPhone (he's very old) and telling him "just press the only key there is to take a photo" and he kept pressing the "home" key instead the _only_ key shown _on_the_display_! Argh! Make something that even a fool can use and only a fool will use it. :-) As someone said elsewhere on GSMArena - the world is full of people, and people are made of humans. :-/

Back on topic, the other day I used an app called BelleCleaner and got some more free space. However, it looks like it cleaned too much as when I went to the messages there were no sender names beside the messages any more. Only phone numbers. Oops! Solution: Go to phonebook, set "SIM card contacts" as default, then go back and set "phone memory contacts" as default again. Problem solved. :-)

• 2014-12-16 01:52
  • B}QL

> In reply to MdN8 @ 2014-12-11 20:17 from B}Qp - click to readI'm reminded of the time when one of my online friends on a now defunct site called her gf while an action movie was playing on smartmovie.

On a nokia 3650.

Maybe apple assumed ppl are too stupid to shut down apps sent to the background but I can't blame them since a lot of ppl caused my nokia 3230 to hang because they thought pressing RED KEY equates to shutting them down.

Bummer. Must be the same reason why nokia s40 didn't include multitasking out of the box or turn the RED KEY into Appshutdown on their s60v2 os8 and up.

• 2014-12-12 05:19
  • v0qG

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-12-11 05:30 from v0qG - click to readHa! Totally agreed. I've always thought of the iPhone as the Nokia 3310 of the new era - wow it's fast, it's pretty, everyone has it, everyone wants it, everyone talks about it (except the "indestructible" bit naturally)... But when a demanding user gets one it's just frustrating. Back then, I got rid of my 3330 and got a Sony Ericsson, slower but with proper menus and I could actually do things quicker. :-)
You think egg timer stopping is bad? OK, now imagine this: I'm talking via Skype on my N8 (back when Skype still worked on Symbian) to someone with an iPhone 4. I get a message - I hear a beep, I check the message, I keep talking. A bit later I need to check something on the web, I check it via Opera Mini while still talking on Skype about what I'm reading. And then...
ZAP!!!
Call dropped.
The other side calls again and says sorry, there was a text message.
Hello???
:-D

• 2014-12-11 20:17
  • B}Qp

> In reply to MdN8 @ 2014-12-10 19:11 from B}Qp - click to readThe only iphones I've used are the 4 and 4s. And navigating them is very tiring. Takes a lot of presses to move around. Was playing with an egg timer when my friend's 4s received a txt that needs to be answered. Egg timer goes to the background...................

And stops. Totally.

That explains the "smooth" operation. ahhahah

• 2014-12-11 05:30
  • v0qG

N8 has limited apps but you can't use some of them if you phone is not hacked. But fortunately it's really easy to do it. Thanks to N8 fanclub for their apps and support.

• 2014-12-10 22:06
  • vTQR

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-12-09 07:14 from v0qG - click to readI sort of remember that, when all this interest counting started, N8 was number 1, and even back then it wasn't exactly new. :-) The other day I've read that Nokia sold 10 million of them, but it was just something someone mentioned somewhere. So every hypothetical owner researched his purchase and checked the page at least 3 times, which can't exactly be said for iPhones or most Androids, looking at their view counters. :-)
As for LEDs, sad but true. There's an interview with Damian Dinning on AllAboutSymbian where they are speculating that the next Nok... - I mean Microsoft - camera flagship won't have Xenon - and some leaked prototypes sort of confirm this - because of more possibilities (combining more images into one etc) to play around with LED. Well good, but I still need the hyperfast old-school Xenon. Sadly it's sort of a niche product category, and I'm betting most people don't even know what it does. Except that phones with Xenon aren't thin.
2 and 3... It's all because of mass consumerism and money making, sadly. I'm thinking of expressions like "throwing money at problems, not solutions" or "creating solutions for non-existent problems" and of course "planned obsolescence". I wonder how many people actually stream music while driving to work, with bad signal, battery drain etc? The same for uploading and backups, should I leave my phone on wifi and charger all day? And trust that photos of my dog won't end up in the wrong hands? :-) Companies still make phones that are worse than flagships 2-3 years ago and yet do everything to persuade people that they should get a more expensive new one instead a perfectly good old one. Imagine how it was possible, 10 years ago, to launch a flagship that was still desirable and perfectly usable 2 years later...
Off-topic - I played with the iPhone 6 Plus yesterday... Wow it's big. And thin. And light. And feels cheap-ish. :-)

• 2014-12-10 19:11
  • B}Qp

> In reply to MdN8 @ 2014-12-09 00:37 from akvp - click to readYou know what bothers me with some of these "advanced" phones people keep talking about?

1. Advanced camera optics with LED FLASH.
2. Non expandable storage/pitiful storage for App installs (1st world reaction: Who cares about microsd? Just upload to Google drive/One drive etc)
3. "Nearly" non removable battery. (1st world reaction: I change phones every 2 years so it's not a proble for me. I say: Yeah, it's the proble of the next guy who will buy your phone, right?)

PS. N8 is no. 4 on the interest list. hahah

• 2014-12-09 07:14
  • v0qG

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-12-08 19:45 from nIqh - click to readMaybe you could recommend something to him, who actually has no plan of buying android related items, a device that does not have a sh***y camera.

• 2014-12-09 06:57

> In reply to Rev-KILOSH @ 2014-12-08 09:27 from N7Dq - click to readHell-o,
I don't know about Adobe, but I'd recommend NSR Reader - it's free on AppList, fast and light ( http://applist.schumi1331.de/content/148 ). Or Picsel Smart Office, both handle .pdf much better than Adobe.
No idea about the search shortcut, I used it a few times and forgot about it, sorry.
I agree about Android, tried it, it's not bad but not too good looking and I don't like the idea of being spied on and paying for it. :-) I would get one just for Skype but I don't need it that much any more, so...

• 2014-12-09 00:37
  • akvp

> In reply to Rev-KILOSH @ 2014-12-08 09:27 from N7Dq - click to readHave a look at the moto g, very similar phone with much better specs, a very ergonomic design and great user experience. Almost stock android, so no unecessary bloatware and is 100x better than the nokia n8 which i found very annoying to say the least and the ovi store is just atrosious. Also, the moto g is still a very afordable phone and is in the same price braket as the nokia n8

• 2014-12-08 19:45
  • nIqh

Hi there! My NOKIA N8 still the best option by far. No thoughts of buying anything Android related. However, i have a lil concern
a) my N8 Adobe PDF has stopped working. How do i resolve that?
b) secondly, my shorcut for music search is also not working. If i use the shortcut 'search' for images, videos, etc, it is working fine. If i search for music (mp3),it does not respond. Help me out please.
Thanx!

• 2014-12-08 09:27
  • N7Dq

> In reply to Supremo @ 2014-12-07 09:41 from KAet - click to readAh yes, I see what you mean. I haven't seen a theme with a transparent menu bottom bar yet so I guess it's not possible. What makes me angry are theme makers who don't make the bottom bar transparent (which _is_ possible) even in the home screen, so when I turn the camera on there's a non-transparent stripe at the bottom covering a part of the frame. I guess it's not a problem for other Belle phones, but for the N8 it surely is. I haven't seen a transparent theme yet, definitely. Sorry.
As for AMOLED, I actually use a theme with a dark brown background, mostly because I use my phone a lot at night and if the theme is completely black I don't see where my thumb is too well. :-D

As for the Store update, the guy from AllAboutSymbian is trying to find out what it is about too and there might be an article about it on Monday. I actually used Twitter to read that, which doesn't happen too often. :-)

• 2014-12-08 01:02
  • akvn

I also got the small update today, no idea what has changed.

• 2014-12-07 23:25
  • 0wxc

> In reply to MdN8 @ 2014-12-06 12:45 from B}QB - click to readUnbelievable but true. I got the 5.1 MB update for the Nokia Store today . Just updated but I don't see any improvements except the Store offers smooth and faster navigation now. It's worth the update. As you know, Nokia X2-00 is having 240x320 resolution and theme there on the forum is made for 320x240 resolution so it won't fit well on the X2-00 but since it's a Nokia, it will at least work. Try it on your Nokia X2-00 and you'll get an idea of what kind of theme I am looking for my Nokia N8. This is a fully transparent theme where the wallpaper can be seen in most of the user interface and except the icons, all the elements are transparent through which you can see the wallpaper. I want a theme like that for my Nokia N8 if possible :-) Nokia Evolve theme is AMOLED friendly because it's a black theme so the on screen buttons on the menu won't be transparent.

• 2014-12-07 09:41
  • KAet

> In reply to MdN8 @ 2014-12-06 12:45 from B}QB - click to readThe Nokia Store got an update? I haven't noticed it yet but I have to charge my N8 first. Didn't use it for some days. I will see if I will also get the update.

• 2014-12-07 00:49
  • 0wxc

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-12-06 17:37 from v0qG - click to readHmmm maybe he opened it and realised it's not the color he advertised? But then, where would the images be from? Well if it's eBay you should be protected somehow. And if I remember correctly you were looking for the pink version - in that case you're probably color blind and it's all the same to you. :-))) Kidding! :-D
Anyhow, I got mine used, and I'm probably the 3rd owner. Took me a long while to find one at a price I could afford, a few went away right before I called, and finally I found one in a city next to mine. The case was scratched and a screw was missing near the hdmi port (I got it later, and the case didn't get any new scratches since) but I was tired of looking and... On one side a lovely dark grey Nokia N8, on the other side some pieces of paper with numbers of them - Just give me my phone already!!! >:-)
For all I know it could have been opened or repaired in the past, but luckily, 20 months later and still no problems. The thing is really built to last (knocks on wood).

• 2014-12-06 18:09
  • B}QB

> In reply to MdN8 @ 2014-12-06 15:08 from B}QB - click to readAugh. My brain is all over the place.

Summary: Housing color was different. So much for the Never Opened part.

• 2014-12-06 17:37
  • v0qG

> In reply to MdN8 @ 2014-12-06 15:08 from B}QB - click to readI forgot to mention he also changed the description on his advert. From [censored] color to [censored] color. Shhhhhh. Same images. Same ad. Except for the COLOR aspect. hahaha. And nope, they're not stock.

Won't say anything more.hehe

• 2014-12-06 17:35
  • v0qG
Total of 48026 user reviews and opinions for Nokia N8.