Nokia N8 - user opinions and reviews

7.7
7.7
7.5

@ anonymous

Good points there. The Finns are blessed with innovative minds & know how to build a good quality phone.

I wouldn't buy russian hardware though. I have to agree Nokia give an excellent lifetime navigation, maps, voice guided.

That's one of main features Assisted GPS with WIFI now from maps google support added bonus & streeview. it what I like about my nokia, unlike Iphone i can use GPS for more than 40mins when travelling in car.

• 2010-06-05 00:29
  • n5QF

> In reply to Engineer Man @ 2010-06-04 23:59 from n5QF - click to readActually America is behind Nordic countries in 4G..

• 2010-06-05 00:25
  • mbyw

> In reply to Engineer Man @ 2010-06-05 00:05 from n5QF - click to readHi Guys, I like the beam, but I dont think I mentioned that here! lol...

@Engineer Man

Great post on the CPU. Can you elaborate on the benefits and drawbacks of using the ARM 11 in N8 with the broadcom GPU? I see excellent benchmarks so far, and since the S^3 is hardware accelerated I expected this. What is your opinion?

• 2010-06-05 00:23
  • mbyw

@ anonymous

Agree whole heartedly. "Here we are as though phones are the most important material object". It's a little bit sickening.

I pour my heart out to the aid workers in this world. Because the world wouldn't be half as nice.

I'm only here, because I'm a CSE. My spare time when not looking for a real job or doin house chores, is to keep researching & keep keen interest in technology & computing. Still it sucks.

• 2010-06-05 00:20

N8 over X10

More internal storage memory
More memory space for installing apps
More efficient OS, less memory intensive
FM radio with RDS
FM transmitter
Better build quality, unibody
Better Camera, with Carl Zeiss optics
Better Flash for Camera, Xenon vs LED
Better Speaker, as speaker on X10 is "feeble"
Better Browser support out of the box, with Flash
Penta band 3G, True WORLD phone
Faster 3G
Faster and greater range WiFi
Better USB support with USB On-the-go support
Better screen: 16m colors vs 65k
Better Bluetooth
More efficient CPU, less battery draining
Smaller size, more pocketable
VGA videocall camera
Better video recording, true HD 1280x720(720p) versus 800x480(480p)
Faster 3D processor
Faster charging, with dedicated charging port, and like the X10 also supports USB charging
Free DOWNLOADABLE maps, and free life-time navigation
and most of all CHEAPER PRICE!!!

• 2010-06-05 00:19

@ Tom-Helge.

Hi. Yes. Nice phone. Sony X10 is good phone. My brother has a W995i. The 8MP still camera & MP4, MPEG4 playback are very good. I've used Sony in the past & they're a pretty reliable phone.

My chance to upgrade from 18mth contract comes around again in July. Around time beam is hopefully launched. But I'm reserving judgment because I know theres some great technology & I'm a Cam & vid buff. I'm also an ARM buff.

I guesse we'll all have to wait & see which one produces the goods, the fine fruits. So to speak. I really do love the Active matrix OLED screen, transreflective. Excellent in sunlight. That's what I want on the move.

I don't want unreadable screen glaring back at me my ugly face in the mirror.

• 2010-06-05 00:13
  • n5QF

> So i choosed the XPERIA X10 then :-).

And what a mistake that been, considering waithing a little while longer and you could have had the N8.

Oh well, I guess you just have to try and justify your purchase to yourself, but posting here day in and day out, as if it's the most important thing in your life.

To think we live in a world, we people are dirt poor, and barely able to feed themselves, or work in sweatshops working insanely long hours for little pay, but you found your cause that infinity more important to your insecure soul, educating us, on what you feel is the better phone.

I feel sorry for you.

• 2010-06-05 00:12
  • Yc77

Respect & Cheers to Anonymous & Mark. The beam nicee. "Can't touch this". I meant to say 100MBPS 4G. It's broadband for mobiles.

4G might look up for Uk. Like the new colition government actually say they want to drive ahead the broadband plans for the future. righhht. hmm

• 2010-06-05 00:05
  • n5QF

> In reply to Engineer Man @ 2010-06-04 23:51 from n5QF - click to readYou mean this phone from Samsung?: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsun...eam-3150.php

If it's that phone it's a very good phone.

My plan was to wait until it would be released and then buy that Samsung phone, but i got the money to buy a new phone much earlier than i thought, so i had to buy another phone then.

So i choosed the XPERIA X10 then :-).

• 2010-06-05 00:00
  • SrdG

The N8 is Uk 3.5G futureproofed to 10.2MBPS. lol. In the Uk the fastest current 3.5G network speeds are roughly stretched at maximum roleout of 3.6MBPS estimated roaming speed per 3 metres distance travelling coverage.

I guesse there are other european countries that left us in the Uk behind. Maybe they get higher transmission rates. Porably have better planned networks.

US gets 4G now. 1000MBPS with WIMAX. But is behind with cellphones. lol what a stark contrast.

• 2010-06-04 23:59
  • n5QF

> In reply to Engineer Man @ 2010-06-04 23:51 from n5QF - click to readOnly Mark love "beam" :)
Good to see You bro :P

• 2010-06-04 23:54
  • mi6N

@ Tom-Helge. The last post was taken from samsunggalaxysforum by electrofreak.
Credit to his article here http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=17125

Beside I wish that tom-helge would stop going on about CPU's. For me it's the N8 or the samsung Beam. Reserve judgement.

• 2010-06-04 23:51
  • n5QF

> In reply to Engineer Man @ 2010-06-04 23:44 from n5QF - click to readEngineer Man is brilliant.

Good Post.

• 2010-06-04 23:50
  • mp%D

> In reply to Engineer Man @ 2010-06-04 23:44 from n5QF - click to readThat's very true.

This was one of the best posts i have seen here in a loooooong long time.

• 2010-06-04 23:47

16M colors on screen
Aluminum unibody construction
USB OTG
HDMI out
Ovi Maps 3.0 (downloadable!)

Brilliant phone with so many amazing features!

• 2010-06-04 23:46

@Tom-Helge

Nope, they're entirely different processors made by different companies, and have nothing to do with one-another (aside from being direct competitors).

The Snapdragon is essentially a completely custom processor designed by Qualcomm, while Hummingbird is a modified Samsung ARM Cortex A8.

While Snapdragon has roots in the Cortex A8 and runs the same ARMv7 instruction set, it is essentially a complete rebuild of the processor.

Hummingbird, on the other hand, IS a Samsung Cortex A8 that has been modified significantly by Intrinsity, the company you may have heard in recent news was just purchased by Apple.

The reason we've not seen a 1 GHz Cortex A8 is because until this point, it's not been possible to release it at a stable 1 GHz. However, Hummingbird is the first production 45 nm ARM processor that we've seen announced in a smartphone. This reduced scale allows for about 20% more clock speed and power efficiency, hence the ability to clock at 1 GHz. Snapdragons on the market are currently still on the 65 nm feature size.

Basically, Hummingbird is the best SoC (System on a Chip) on the market right now for 2 reasons: it's the first 45 nm smartphone SoC we've seen, and its modifications by Intrinsity allow it get more performance per clock cycle than a typical Cortex A8.

It's tough to say if it beats a 1 GHz Snapdragon in performance currently (it appears they're pretty neck-and-neck), but it definitely is significantly more power efficient. Add Samsung's claims of 4x the graphics performance that the current Snapdragons offer, and the result is a pretty impressive.

Hummingbird will lose out in performance to the 45 nm 1.3 GHz Snapdragon released later this year, and both will be overshadowed by the Cortex A9 SoCs released early next year.

But for the time being, Hummingbird is the best you can get in a smartphone. My article covers all this and more, in detail.

• 2010-06-04 23:44
  • n5QF

Who cares if a processor on another phone is a billion times more powerful than the one in the N8. If it's not in the N8, I don't care about it.

X10 troll, the N8 beats your joke phone in so many areas!
Better connectivity
Better Media with both video and sound
Better Build Quality
FM Radio!
More efficient OS
More internal memory
Cheaper price!

Only 480p video recording on your phone, and yet you go on and on about the processor. Get a life!

• 2010-06-04 23:42
  • Yc77

Did you know that an older Symbian Series 30 or 40 series phone with 300Mhz CPU could run 60 Apps & mult- task quite effectivley!!!

Nokia 5800 was upped from 3**Mhz to 434MHz after V.20 firmware. for the increase overheads & add ons.

Samsung had poor build quality not long ago & poor customer & software support but they are getting better with these new models. Build quality & soft support is getting better.

Nokia have always had good to excellent build quality & par customer & good Soft support. Nokia are starting to build some quality phones again.

The samsung will give better credit to a better experience watching Movies on the move in sunlight.

The N8 will have a more reflective display & won't be as pleasurable watching movies in sunligh on the move as the samsung.

The N8 will take better pictures & better 720P thanks to the CCD imaging sensor, lens & aperture & brilliant filter.

The samsung may in the end have less internal storage. I know Vodaphone are geting 16GB model but the 8GB model may be more widely avaiable maybe?

Nokia has 16GB. However the samsung may have the better GPU over N8.

The rest is down to debate over Android vs symbian on memory management, kernel management, cpu, GPU overheads I guesse.

I don't agree with the persons that say the N8 is not a smartphone. The Nokia 5800 certainly is, the N8 more so.

Considering the N8 has 256MB more NAND flash ROM is great. For it will have a another partition to porbably allow you to store OS apps within the 16GB Storage drive. The Nokia 5800 could only use the 256MB NAND ROM for this aswell as the OS.

• 2010-06-04 23:34
  • n5QF

> In reply to Tom-Helge @ 2010-06-04 23:26 from SrdG - click to readARM 11 is old processor with old assembly instructions and don't have registers like Snapdragon and ARM 11 overclocked on 1GHZ is unstable and such MYCH power!
It's NOT possible to overclock and stable work and compare with 1GHZ Snapdragon!

• 2010-06-04 23:32
  • mi6N

Guys, no need to give attention to trollers.

• 2010-06-04 23:30
  • s86f
Total of 47809 user reviews and opinions for Nokia N8.