Nokia N8 - user opinions and reviews

7.7
7.7
7.5

@ Mark.

That's some sweet looking headset.

N8 gaming performance. Finestfones benchmarks used an app specifically designed for Symbian OS's called "Speed Go!" which uses the phone accelerometer which has a speed test utility which tests overall speed of the phone.

They say using "Speed Go!" N8 scored 180% higher over the N97, & 54% over the Omnia HD. "Speed Go!" was tested on N8 with 10 widgets running on homescreen, 5 on first homsecreen, 5 on second homescreen, none on the third. The N8 scored 777 in that test. It's still prototype.

The benchmarks FPC 3d Bench is apparently limited to 60FPS, so Using FPC Bench 3D to test N8 Graphics performance, it maxed out with a score of 60FPS in each test.

Some people would like to know to see benchmarks on the USB 3.0 transfer rate, both wired and wireless. Also USB2go, specifically viewing 720p files on a thumbdrive being connected to a HDTV with n8 as host.

Also a desciption of how bad is the OLED screen in sunlight, some have heard it's really bad, but could be a bad rumour. Some pictures taken in the dark would be nice aswell.

• 2010-06-05 01:19
  • n5QF

> In reply to Nokia BH-905 @ 2010-06-05 00:30 from mp%D - click to readNot sure if BH will ever be a part of sales package in compared to low cost phone, I meant N8 is quite cheap considering features it has to offer.

• 2010-06-05 01:14
  • upfP

truely the internal tech. in N8 is superior to that of X10, just as Samsungs Galaxy S and Omnia HD, with amoled and other tech pass X10

• 2010-06-05 01:10
  • SX@d

> In reply to Dev @ 2010-06-05 01:07 from upfP - click to readOh extremly sorry.. I meant output is very promising.

• 2010-06-05 01:09
  • upfP

> In reply to Engineer Man @ 2010-06-05 00:45 from n5QF - click to readI guess its a WH701 in standard sales pack. I recently bought newly arrived 5235 for my little bro and got same headset in package. Output is very packaging. I guess same is being shipped with high end music phones like X6 and its 16 GB variant.

• 2010-06-05 01:07
  • upfP

> In reply to Tom-Helge @ 2010-06-05 00:55 from SrdG - click to readSince i got quite alot of typos in my reply under, then you will get the whole reply again with typo fixes.

I'm guessing like 1 or 2 months after Android 2.1 is released, since Sony Ericsson doesn't have to redo much about TimeScape and MediaScape and the rest of it's UI from 2.1 to 2.2, since 2.1 and 2.2 is 99% the same.

So they can just change some few codes and port over to 2.2 easily.

That's what i think will happen. But ofc, that might not happen though.

• 2010-06-05 00:57
  • SrdG

> In reply to N8 @ 2010-06-05 00:49 from 0U5p - click to readI'm guessing like 1 or 2 months after Android 2.1 is released, since SOny Ericsson doesn't have to redo much about TimeScape and MediaScape and the rest of it's UI from 2.1 to 2.2, since 2.1 and 2.2 is ))% the same.

So they can't just change some few codes and port over to 2.2 easily.

That's what i think will happen. But ofc, that might not happen though.

• 2010-06-05 00:55
  • SrdG

> In reply to Engineer Man @ 2010-06-05 00:45 from n5QF - click to readNope, they are not included in package.

• 2010-06-05 00:53
  • mp%D

> In reply to Tom-Helge @ 2010-06-04 23:21 from SrdG - click to readOh sorry my mistake.
X10 will support flash in the browser when it gets 2.2
When is that exactly?

• 2010-06-05 00:49
  • 0U5p

I'm still using BH 503 with red matching accents on 5800. So are those headphones included in the retail package for the N8?

• 2010-06-05 00:45

@ Mark

Hi Mark

Well... Americans are ahead of us. Britain down the list... Norway, etc..just beat us.

I saw that the N8 doesn't have any drawbacks as far as can tell from currently tested games since hte CPU doesn't play any part, its totally GPU accelerated, 60FPS.

• 2010-06-05 00:34

Nokia BH-905 Review after using for 3 months

Having used many headphones, couple of Bluetooth options as well, this is my review of Nokia BH-905. I would keep it points based rather than descriptive to make it short and sweet.

Pros –
• Sound quality, amazing, feels like in a theatre room. Both wired and wirefree.
• Noise quality, cuts out 80% noise
• Bluetooth connectivity better than any Bluetooth device I have used
• Battery life, surely 15 hours
• Call quality, amazing
• Absolute to use in Trains, Bus and Airplane, tested in all 3 places.

Cons
• Loose fit, not good for running
• Build quality little plastic feel as I broke one of the round things while gently pulling it out but no problem to functionality
• Ear gets little warmed up after long use.
• Don’t like the shape, headband that comes out.
• Cannot be replacement of true audiophile headphones.

Will rate 4.5/5.

Look at the positive reviews on Amazon

On ALA Test, it stands on number 2

Nokia Microsite for BH-905

Nokia BH-905 specs

Anyone who loves their music listening hassle free, BH-905 is must.

• 2010-06-05 00:30
  • mp%D

@ anonymous

Good points there. The Finns are blessed with innovative minds & know how to build a good quality phone.

I wouldn't buy russian hardware though. I have to agree Nokia give an excellent lifetime navigation, maps, voice guided.

That's one of main features Assisted GPS with WIFI now from maps google support added bonus & streeview. it what I like about my nokia, unlike Iphone i can use GPS for more than 40mins when travelling in car.

• 2010-06-05 00:29
  • n5QF

> In reply to Engineer Man @ 2010-06-04 23:59 from n5QF - click to readActually America is behind Nordic countries in 4G..

• 2010-06-05 00:25
  • mbyw

> In reply to Engineer Man @ 2010-06-05 00:05 from n5QF - click to readHi Guys, I like the beam, but I dont think I mentioned that here! lol...

@Engineer Man

Great post on the CPU. Can you elaborate on the benefits and drawbacks of using the ARM 11 in N8 with the broadcom GPU? I see excellent benchmarks so far, and since the S^3 is hardware accelerated I expected this. What is your opinion?

• 2010-06-05 00:23
  • mbyw

@ anonymous

Agree whole heartedly. "Here we are as though phones are the most important material object". It's a little bit sickening.

I pour my heart out to the aid workers in this world. Because the world wouldn't be half as nice.

I'm only here, because I'm a CSE. My spare time when not looking for a real job or doin house chores, is to keep researching & keep keen interest in technology & computing. Still it sucks.

• 2010-06-05 00:20

N8 over X10

More internal storage memory
More memory space for installing apps
More efficient OS, less memory intensive
FM radio with RDS
FM transmitter
Better build quality, unibody
Better Camera, with Carl Zeiss optics
Better Flash for Camera, Xenon vs LED
Better Speaker, as speaker on X10 is "feeble"
Better Browser support out of the box, with Flash
Penta band 3G, True WORLD phone
Faster 3G
Faster and greater range WiFi
Better USB support with USB On-the-go support
Better screen: 16m colors vs 65k
Better Bluetooth
More efficient CPU, less battery draining
Smaller size, more pocketable
VGA videocall camera
Better video recording, true HD 1280x720(720p) versus 800x480(480p)
Faster 3D processor
Faster charging, with dedicated charging port, and like the X10 also supports USB charging
Free DOWNLOADABLE maps, and free life-time navigation
and most of all CHEAPER PRICE!!!

• 2010-06-05 00:19
  • Yc77

@ Tom-Helge.

Hi. Yes. Nice phone. Sony X10 is good phone. My brother has a W995i. The 8MP still camera & MP4, MPEG4 playback are very good. I've used Sony in the past & they're a pretty reliable phone.

My chance to upgrade from 18mth contract comes around again in July. Around time beam is hopefully launched. But I'm reserving judgment because I know theres some great technology & I'm a Cam & vid buff. I'm also an ARM buff.

I guesse we'll all have to wait & see which one produces the goods, the fine fruits. So to speak. I really do love the Active matrix OLED screen, transreflective. Excellent in sunlight. That's what I want on the move.

I don't want unreadable screen glaring back at me my ugly face in the mirror.

• 2010-06-05 00:13
  • n5QF

> So i choosed the XPERIA X10 then :-).

And what a mistake that been, considering waithing a little while longer and you could have had the N8.

Oh well, I guess you just have to try and justify your purchase to yourself, but posting here day in and day out, as if it's the most important thing in your life.

To think we live in a world, we people are dirt poor, and barely able to feed themselves, or work in sweatshops working insanely long hours for little pay, but you found your cause that infinity more important to your insecure soul, educating us, on what you feel is the better phone.

I feel sorry for you.

• 2010-06-05 00:12
  • Yc77
Total of 47882 user reviews and opinions for Nokia N8.