Drew/ @Drew, 14 Feb 2012Hello Ray/ @Ray,
Hope all is well. First I have a comment and then a question. You have bee... more I too experienced an increase in battery consumption after upgrading to Legit Belle. I"m a heavy daily user, to be sure.
I believe this is NOT a bug or bad software. By default, Belle is running more widgets and accessing data more that Anna so it's gonna consume more power. Ironically, it's reminds me more of my HTC Droid phone that needs charging at least twice a day. Simply, put, if you want more widgets, screens, and updating and polling, and so forth it's gonna cost you more battery life.
I got my battery usage back in line by reducing the number of widgets running, and deleting a home screen I didn't need. Additionally, I set my mail to sync less periodically and only during the day. I've heard that using the Wifi on/off is a major battery drainer as it makes your phone constantly scan if it's on! This solved all my probs and my battery life is now very good.
As far as checking your battery I use the Battery Monitor application from the Nokia store. It will even tell you what apps are consuming the most power. You will notice that by default, your background usage is very high on Belle by default hence the widgets and so forth. Hope this helps.
Hello Ray/ @Ray,
Hope all is well. First I have a comment and then a question. You have been brilliant!!! I really hope you could help. Plus you were right, ever since upgrading to Belle I don't have the "maximum connections in use" issue anymore.
Since upgrading to Belle my battery life has dropped massively. I have to charge it at least twice a day whereas prior to Belle i.e. Anna; charging once took me through the whole day.
My N8 with Anna, by pressing on the battery icon you could tell how much battery power you had left (25%, 50%...etc) Is there anyway I can do that with Belle? With the rate a which my Battery dies I really need to be able to monitor my power usage.
Thanks A Billion Ray!!!
Take Care Amigo.
Belle! Aah what a fine lookin' lass you are. But alas untill your issues are resolved i'll be going back to ANNA 25.7
I believe camera with Belle is not good as with Anna. Wonder why???? Has anyone notice about that...
One other thing I miss in Belle in compared to Anna. Remember, Anna had this Notification widget? Suppose someone called me & I missed it. When I notice it, it's too late (like late in the night) & deciding that I will call that person later, I could keep the notification active to remind me in the morning (when I would look at my phone I would still see the missed call & would call the number). But in Belle, I don't have that option. Again, the messages & missed calls don't come to the notification area. Then what is the use of notification area? See Android's notification area for the example, it gives you all the notifications you want to see. In my opinion, the notification area is not complete, it is full of bugs.
Ray Hipkiss, 13 Feb 2012
@ N8 and me
I haven't updated my phone to Belle because my operator hasn't yet approved... moreVery good decision, Ray. I wish I would at least keep one of my N8 in Anna. Right now I'm super frustrated. Until the bugs are fixed, please, DO NOT UPDATE. That's a request/advice from a suffered friend.
DK, 13 Feb 2012It’s been 3 days I’ve updated mine still lot more to learn , according to my experience, I’d l... moreDear DK,
Thanks for your reply. But sorry, don't mind, you didn't understand half of my speech here & held it against me. I'm trying to clarify them here:
1. When in Anna, I used to keep only two folders in my main menu screen, other 10 were applications. The folders contained the subfolders to get more applications. Suppose, I had folder 'A' & folder 'B' in my main menu. Both had subfolder 'A1' & 'A2" & 'B1' & 'B2' inside which had applications sorted in different criteria. I had Folder 'A1', 'A2', 'B1' & 'B2' in my homescreen for quick access. So I didn't need to press more times to access those applications in those folders. Now, if I put folders in my main menu, think how many folders do I need to keep: Office, Games, Gadgets, Entertainment, Logic (contains settings apps), Desk (contains special apps like Vlingo & timer etc). If already six of my places are taken by folders, where is the place for applications like google maps, recorder, Opera Mobile, FM Radio, Settings (main), Photo Editor, Video Editor, Messaging, LinkedIn, Adobe Reader, QuickOffice etc? Those are some of the apps I use most frequently. The thing I'm saying is, if there was option like before, then both you (who want flat menu) & me (who want folders & sub-folders) would be happy. What was wrong with being both happy? Besides, in iOS & Android, you have pages for apps. You know that you'll find a certain app in a certain page. In Symbian^3 series (Belle), if you scroll, you don't know where you'll stop (based on your scrolling pressure, it'll stop closer or further). So, to find a certain app, it takes more time than in Android or iOS.
2. I didn't get any 'Activate Voice Command Application' anywhere. Can you please describe how can I reach to that point? I have Vlingo, but using a third party software for something I already had, isn't that being stupid? Please, pretty please, guide me how can I activate the voice DIALING, not command (FYI, voice dial can dial a contact by recognising your said name, specially helpful when I'm driving a car & cannot look at the screen of the phone, I just double press the call button of my bluetooth car handsfree & it waits for the name.)
3. I never said that the music player widget or mail widget is NOT AWESOME, they are GREAT. But they were supposed to have more sizes available (up to five).
4. The lock screen clock DOES NOT go off. I checked it by putting it under a pillow (the proximity sensor part) & waited a few minutes. It never went off. Might happen that some options are there which I have missed, but you activated.
5. I didn't say I have ANY issue on multiple marking in gallery. All I said is that previously it needed only a single click (just the check mark icon) to activate multiple marking option. Now I have to click option > Mark/Unmark > Mark Multiple Items (3 clicks) to do the same. Won't you agree that 3 clicks are more than 1 click? That's all I said, nothing else.
6. I didn't say the call log option (30 days) is not available. I said, both the buttons do the same - bring the same window. It would have been better, if one of it would bring up the detailed call log menu.
Please, try to understand while you read. I hope you don't mind me correcting you. Even if you do, I needed to correct you, so that you don't mislead people understanding what I'm trying to say.
Belle is really a good addition to Symbian devices and I am more than happy with it on my N8.
I do need a great support from Symbian^3 users and Nokia fans in order to improve this refined experience even much more useful and easy. For the purpose on the following link I place some concept and ideas and please if you can, give your feedback about it.
Just to be clear that site is not my personal site and my only objective is to do something for Symbian.
Hi everyone Belle Update is available for N8 Now! I jest received email from Nokia....
Enrique, 14 Feb 2012Is nokia n8 has NFC after upgrade to belle? @Enrique: Nope I think. N8 does not have NFC chip.
Guys after the belle update. When I'm playing .AVI file, the video will start but after 3 to 4 seconds the video will stop and my phone will hang. Do you guys experience this kind of issue too? please I need feedback here.
Take note: I did a clean install of the BELLE update.
when upgraded to belle it runs smooth like gushing knive in butter no issues of lagging n hang
Dalai, 13 Feb 2012Hi Nokia N8-users!
I´m thinking of buying me an N8. I can get it for about 350 USD in... more@ Dalai,
Yes, i recommend you buying it, but be carefull to be "made in Finland" and not elsewhere.
Enrique, 13 Feb 2012Is Belle has power saving? I need ur information..Yes Enrique....Belle has power saving....all u need to do is just press the power button once and you will get option to activate power saving.....follow the same procedure to deactivate power saving....