Nokia N86 8MP preview: First look
We finally have a full review published, so if you are interested in getting our full coverage on Nokia N86 8MP, you'd better off heading this way.
This latest Nseries offshoot can be many things and will probably strive to satisfy quite a lot of your daily digital media and connectivity needs. However one thing's for sure - it's been a while since we last saw a cameraphone as revolutionary as Nokia N86 8MP.
Nokia have been quite late coming up with their own player in the megapixel race and they are still falling behind in pure numbers. However their wide-angle, variable aperture, mechanical shutter camera changed the way we think of shooting stills with cameraphones much like the Omnia HD reshaped the digital video recording on a mobile phone.
The goodies on board the Nokia N86 8MP make quite a count, including but not limited to a 2.6-inch AMOLED screen, dual-slide form factor, an active kickstand, 8GB of internal memory, a microSDHC card slot, FM transmitter, Wi-Fi and GPS connectivity and a digital compass, a 3.5mm audio jack and TV out. There's also quad-band GSM and tri-band HSDPA support for a truly worldwide voice and data roaming.
But have a look at the specs yourselves.
Nokia N86 8MP at a glance:
- General: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 900/1900/2100 MHz, HSDPA 3.6 Mbps
- Form factor: Dual-slide design
- Dimensions: 103.4 x 51.4 x 16.5 mm
- Display: 2.6-inch 16M color QVGA AMOLED display with scratch-resistant surface
- Memory: 8GB storage memory, hot-swappable microSD card slot (up to 16GB)
- OS: Symbian OS 9.3 with S60 UI 3rd edition with FP2
- Platform: ARM 11 434 MHz processor, 128MB RAM
- Camera: 8 megapixel auto focus camera with dual LED flash, wide 28mm Carl Zeiss lens, variable aperture, mechanical shutter, geo-tagging, time-lapse shooting and VGA@30fps video recording
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth with A2DP, standard microUSB port, standard 3.5mm audio jack, GPS receiver with A-GPS and Ovi Maps
- Misc: Accelerometer for screen auto rotate, active kickstand, FM radio with RDS, FM transmitter, digital compass
- Battery: 1200 mAh battery
The Nokia N86 8MP is quite an accomplished smartphone with rich equipment. Perhaps the only disappointment is the screen - we couldn't help a sigh over the now aging Nokia N95 8GB 2.8-inch screen, not to mention that QVGA resolution hardly cuts it anymore.
Camera-wise however, the N86 8MP seems to reduce the distance to point-and-shoot digicams quite successfully. Its camera performance is yet to stand trial by fire but the specs look impressive.
Let's not waste any more time then and slide the Nokia N86 8MP up for a quick preview of what it's worth. We promise, the fully detailed review is just around the corner - it should hit our homepage some time next week. Until then, hop on the quick and dirty preview bandwagon.
Reviews > Nokia N86 8MP preview: First look