Nokia N91 - user opinions and reviews

Nokia

7.4
7.4
7.3

does it still (N91 available at the market?

• 2014-09-05 14:52
  • Mfx5

My n91 saying hd corrupted format hdd to continue but when i formating at last it saying that battery low hdd not formated.i tested with chargr also.also when the back cover put on the set is not opening,but when the back cover is put of the set is running like normal except the music playr nd hdd.frnds i luv my n91 very very ....much.pls suggest me what to do

• 2014-08-25 09:15
  • t}Uk

It was a good comparision- n91 vs m8.. I hav purchased a used n91-1(8 Gb) few days back, totally abused condtion & i hav given it for complete restoration.. I own sony walkman z-764 & nokia 808. I doubt n91 could be restored as the spares in india is a problem and not received any progress abt the n91. I want to know the second best phone which is capable of reproducing upto 90% of audio quality which n91 does and comparision with n91(only symbian), detailed as ur previous review.
Also I want to know if there r any difference in terms of audio quality of two phones N91 vs n91-1(8Gb) & comparision of nokia n82 vs n91.. Because n82 is readily available at my place..

• 2014-07-19 14:17
  • utap

To all those who think HTC M8 (One) or other earthly gadgets come near the N91 in terms of audio quality, here's some food for thought.

HTC M8 has an integrated audio-amplifier support along with few razzmatazz in form of software tweaks and gimmicks to give you a placebo that the sound quality is improved.

With a brand name of Harmann-Kardon, it's easy to trap customers in believing your words. Reality remains, M8 is hardware-limited to go any further down the beautiful sound alley that leads to salvation.

That Harmon-Kardon thing you keep hearing about is plainly limited on embedded player that HTC comes loaded with. Root/disable/uninstall that, and HTC will sound like any other run of the mill phone.

Now iPhones are distinguishable from the current gens mainly because the audio renderings in them are better than the Samsungs but not better than HTC flagships. Apple’s audio library has some exclusive dlls that make it possible to add a distinct ting to the sound they produce. The original beats on the m8 is just an algorithm designed to extract the best out of whatever audio it may produces.

But then, put all these phones at one side and put N91 on the other - strictly for audio observations.

I have a classy-chrome N91 with me for last 6 years or so. I have a Sennheiser CX300II, Sony XB90EX and BrainWavz R1 Dual Dynamic Earphones. During one fine Saturday, I went to nearest store to try out the M8 One as I was sick of ‘audiofools’ going gaga over its oh-so-orgasmic audio output.

The song I tried was Massive Attack - Angel on stock audio setting on both the phones.

Part 1:

M8 coupled with CX300II - Above average sound. Distinct mid-range but passable low and upper range with obvious muddled sound noticable. Sound quality at full volume is awfully shrill.

M8 coupled with XB90EX - Same as above. Sony’s IEM are overrated like nothing else, barring a good built quality. Sound at full is quite OK, nothing to boast about.

M8 coupled with Brainwavz R1 - Awesome! Low range was flattering, Mid was astoundingly wide in terms of sound spectrum but who listens to Angels on low and mids? Highs were good but indeed not loud! Yup I mean it!

Part: II

N91 with CX300II: Extremely bassy and yet so subtly vivid with sound produced. Though I could sense Sennheiser wasn’t happy when I jacked up the volume beyond 85%. The earphones were vibrating on even smallest of the beats!! That doesn’t imply a bad headphone just that, I used a 128 kbps mp3, whirr noise and static accompanies the song throughout. Or maybe a loose connection

N91 with XB90EX: I take back my statements regarding Sony. They were astounding with ranges. You could hear the picks hitting the guitar at the very same time when intense bass blasting was flooding out of the spectrum. That was jaw dropping performance. Again, I couldn’t withstand beyond 90% of sound levels...

N91 with Brainwavz R1: Just the perfect companion to the legendary N91. The very first beat of the song sent the shivers pumping down my spine, hair on my back stood up for the most versatile performance I’ve ever heard, I was immersed into the song beyond comprehension and at 85% of volume level, that electric guitar strumming which hits the song at the highest tempo, was masterfully rendered making it one of the most beautiful things I had ever heard. I recall hearing a song where I heard the singer whispering, before actually starting the song.

My affinity with M8 one was long gone.

The dedicated Toshiba DAC 33 DCH audio chipset, which was then not regulated by EU laws, led to the most beautiful thing in the audio arena ever, the world has witnessed. Even though N81 carries the same chipset, it is softer and more towards generic sound thanks to limited hardware prowess of the otherwise legendary chip.

HTC M8 isn’t even remotely close to sound quality produced by even the N81. Yup I had that one as well. Software tweaks, good algorithms cannot replace even a real yet poor hardware. It’s like installing the best graphic driver for inbuilt graphic unit of motherboard will replace the need of an external graphics card.

HTC One M8 is great but N91 great? Sorry to disappoint you guys, grab both and test it out yourself.

• 2014-07-16 17:13
  • K6tb

I oncce owned this beautiful phone. Where can I get it now?

• 2014-07-03 15:08
  • ajJ2

The Nokia N91 uses a special DSP-33 chip set made by Toshiba and a powerful in-built Harman Kardon amplifier to boost up its volume while maintaining acoustics, resulting in louder, deep bass and rich sound with perfect low, mid range & a slightly damped high range frequency which has not been achieved by any iPod or Sony Walkmans. that's what wiki says!!!!wow.

• 2014-06-17 09:14
  • NhJv

> In reply to Samarth N8 808 user @ 2014-05-10 20:24 from t}m8 - click to readhi samarth...
I hav listened to samsung S4 & S3 and i can clearly say that the stock mp3 player of s4(stock firmware) in the audio department is not as gud as nokia 808..
The instrument separation in s4 might be a bit better, but 808 is very accurate sounding compared to s4(with dolby turned off)..

• 2014-05-21 18:50
  • utag
  • Samarth N8 808 user
  • Rating0

> In reply to bharathnel @ 2014-04-26 19:37 from uu3@ - click to readBharat, I have heard N91, Nokia 808 and Galaxy S4 in headphones.

Nokia 808's audio is clean, clear, good enough if you love music. I have it, and I listen to it.

Galaxy S4's audio is actually better than 808. Its audio is something you would call "spacious, crystal clear" with all elements being perfectly audible... There is a feeling of evolution in it.

N91? Well, its the incomparable legend.
Its sound is clear enough with all elements being precise and audible, but its enhanced bass, music processing and very high volume levels make listening music so damn exciting that nothing in mobile phones quite matches it.

Today, you could attach a N91 to some serious amplifiers and it still has best fidelity among phones. And that audio quality.... it sounds "exciting" like nothing other can.

No matter what you listen to, Pop, Rock, Jazz, Indie, Country..... N91 makes any music "better", such matured and lovely music processing it has. Seriously.

You will have to listen it to know....

• 2014-05-10 20:24
  • t}m8

> In reply to bharathnel @ 2014-04-26 19:37 from uu3@ - click to readthis phone is audio output much better than S5 & htc one m8. Find your fren that is having one and you tell me..

• 2014-04-27 18:13
  • TSQ{

can any one comment on audio quality through headphones with modern smartphones such as nokia 808, samsung S4 & HTC one.

• 2014-04-26 19:37
  • uu3@

i want my n91 back meh :'(

• 2014-03-08 15:15
  • JFkk

sound quality is excellentttt..it's veryy loud with superb base..i beleive best mp3 player till now. m lovin it.

• 2014-02-15 21:44
  • KIeK

What a phone..... have been using for 8 yrs still working like brand new....

• 2014-02-05 09:17
  • K6mw

Finally i ve got it.can u believe it in 2013! Yes i m a music freak and i hate the rubbish android and its sons (read Samsung,Lg etc).i ve a smartphn though.i searched a lot.and found only one piece in kolkata ,India at rs 2400(40dollr approx).it is in very poor condition.but i will try ofcourse to repair it,after all it will be my companion forever.(sorry 4 my english).

• 2014-01-08 16:47
  • t1$A

> In reply to Samarth N8 808 user @ 2013-09-26 15:45 from t@Cc - click to readWe can only dream. But the reality is cruel. N91 is one of a kind. A perfect music experience with no successor...

• 2013-10-08 22:04
  • nm5m
  • Samarth N8 808 user
  • Rating0

I'm afraid that the Elop-misguided Nokia staff is not even seeing our comments.

All I can hope is that they come to their senses and create a more modern N91 version 2 with:

1. FLAC+ 24 bit playback support,
2. Music modification, Pitch blending, speed, equalizer, etc.
3. Atleast 64 GB memory.
4. Upgraded Nokia Music setup with addition of high quality music option,
5. More music keys,
6. The SAME AUDIO QUALITY... not even 1% change, please.

But its a sad dream. Won't be fulfilled unfortunately.

• 2013-09-26 15:45
  • t@Cc

i'm currently using xperia l but i jumped to my old nokia n91 only due to it's audio chip inside WOW! i just felt the bass with my sennheiser cx 270 headphone which i couldn't on xperia l.xperia l has very low volume levels.

• 2013-08-16 19:19
  • utdc

I have the black edition. Very classic but great sound performance.

• 2013-08-05 14:08
  • tH3G

Awesome Phone for music & perfect for my hands.I still use it as a backup phone.When I plug my senheisser on it the bass & quality , cannot be compared with the latest samsung/I-Phone.

• 2013-07-14 16:34
  • tesH

I still have mine. best looking phone with great stereo sound. I loved when people keep asking me what phone is that. I wish someone can come up with something like the design of N91

• 2013-07-04 15:13
  • 0FIb
Total of 6267 user reviews and opinions for Nokia N91.