rastaman, my Atom runs fine. Most of the time at 728MHz.
1. I have no echo at all, no one ever complains of voice quality when they call me.
2. I have no problem at all with media player.
3. I have no problem with 900Mhz.
I am sure other Atom users can share their experience as well. I suggest you return your Atom for service, you probably have a defective unit.
O2 Atom cannot read or write Chinese words. You will have to install software like CE-Star. There are some free software around that will allow you to read chinese on your Atom.You might want to consider Dopod 818 Pro since Dopod provide CE-Star free of charge for Dopod owners. Then you will be able to read and write (on the touch screen) in Chinese.
Synnexo, u can try the following site:
Its gona cost u US$17.95. If anyone has any other sites to recommend, please let us know.
Just wondering how to overclock the processor? Seem quite impressive that the processing speed can reach up to 728MHz.
Can anyone clear my doubt?
if i upgrade to the latest rom, will the programs in my memory card also be erased?
I have installed all my programs in memory card? will they be erased?
Anybody could tell the download side of 'Sky Force PPC v1.21' for the Full Version. The game is wonderful. So far what I can find is just the Trial/Demo version.
hey !! i would really appreciated it if there is anyone can answer me a very simple question here!
Does O2 phone read and write chinese words?
i just lost my phone today, now want to look for another .... Please help!!
i am considering between Motorola A1200 and Atom!!
hi guys, i have a prob. After i update the latest ROM that improve the camera, it helps. but when my phone rings, the ringtone sound intermittent stopping. why is it like this? does anyone have this prob?
My O2 is cool, but the battery lasts oonly 2 days, while i am not using the phone more than 1 h per day. Is this normal? i tought it would last at least 3-4 days...
about your bluetooth comments i disagree the bluetooth works fine my dad has one of these and i have a SE k750i workd magic yes it was a little slow but not as bad as some phones such as the nokia 6230 which really has transfer problems
Thx Mr.Will , your info help a lot a lot of peoples, thx for u one more time... i also own ATOM rite now for about 3 months but first i really find annoying coz lagging, bla bla bla bla..... so annoying, i upgrade my ROM for twice , n the last time i upgrade is yesterday, after i upgrade ive seen a progress, running very stable BUT !!! ringtones still running not smooth [ stop play stop play ]
I bought this Atom about 2 weeks ago. Excellent little pda-phone. But a lot of stuff to take into account. Here's a little review:
1. DO NOT install any additional software onto the phone until you have actually upgraded the ROM on the phone. Otherwise, all the programs you have installed will be deleted. (I made that mistake)
2. The phone works great after the upgrade but sometimes the phone does get jamed and a soft-reset is required. I think it's a pretty normal thing consider that most products that runs on MS usually have clitches.
3. I have installed SPB softwares such as:
Pocket Plus, Weather, Diary and some games.
Problem: Pocket Plus (install this software onto the main memory) does not offer any shortcut to Bluetooth functions. I was really disapointed about this. I tried everything but nothing worked. You just have to go into the settings everytime you wanna turn bluetooth on. So I decided to leave it on at all times.
(I recommand that you install SPB Weather & Diary onto the storage card instead of the main memory because it may take up a lot of space)
SPB Weather and Diary works like a charm on WM5.0. I love the layout of it. You will like it a lot too. One thing though, you might want to download SPB unithemes to change the look of it. I recommand the Silver unitheme. It's free anyway! But be careful: SPB unithemes are zip files. Download the file. Create a new folder in the O2 Sync folder on your desktop before you unzip it into it. Otherwise, your files will look like a mess. (I made that mistake and it cause a lot of problems to sync the files).
Games: I have installed Handmark Monopoly, Battleship, Tetris, Chess, Freecell & SPB Arkaball. Every game runs very well except for Monopoly that sometimes shutoff by itself during a game. No worries, your game will not be lost but sometimes it does get annoying. I can only come up with 2 possibilities for this problem. Either Monopoly doesn't work very well with WM5.0 or I have installed the program onto the storage card instead of the main memory. You may want to try installing this program onto the main memory and see if the problem persiste.
4. This phone has a 2.5mm jack for your earphones. The earphones that comes with it aren't the nicest ones I have seen. Instead, why don't you go to Circuit City and buy a 2.5mm stereo adaptor (Make sure it's STEREO not MONO) and then plug in your own set of earphones for a better sound quality. The adaptor cost only tops 4-5$.
5. Bluetooth works pretty well. I bought the Motorola H3 Bluetooth headset and it seems to work wonderfully. No problem there. HOWEVER, bluetooth file exchanges is nearly impossible. I had pictures on my Nokia 8800 and tried to send them over to my Atom. The Atom wouldn't accept them. Pictures you take from the Atom cannot be sent out either. Huge disapointment. I have not tried with any other phones, so I must stress that you try before you jump to conclusion. One way around this problem. You take pictures, sync it on your desktop/laptop and then find them in the O2 folder and do whatever you want w/ them at that point.
6. Battery is pretty decent. Last about 1.5 days on extensive use (gaming/emails/calls/browsing). Take into account the I have set my backlight to turn off after 10sec of inactivity and the backlight density is set at the second lowest level. Your personal settings may vary.
7. Mini-SD cards will work on your phone up to 2gb. Make sure you buy the Mini-SD not the Micro-SD. Some tend to make that mistake. Otherwise, no problem there. You can explore your SD card through Active Sync and drag & drop pretty much anything on it.
8. DATA: I strongly recommand that you set up your GPRS monitor before you use it to surf/emails. Setup takes 2min but you will know exactly how much data you're going through. This way, your phone bill won't come as a surprise to you. Keep in mind that this phone is EDGE ready too and that when you're running data on EDGE, it goes very fast. Next thing you know, you have already busted your data limit.
9. The micophone does have static noise from time to time but I'd say that it happens about 10% of the times. Nothing alarming and besides, it only happens for the first 10-15 sec of the call and then it's off.
10. The backdoor does get loose a little so be carefully not to loose it. I don't think there's any replacement parts available at the moment, especially if you this Atom is an import for you. But if you live in UK, HK or Aus. you might be able to go to a O2 dealer. Users from Canada (like me) or the US will have a hard time if you loose the backdoor.
10. This unit does get messy a little with fingerprints!!! It's a nice shinny black but, man, these fingerprints drives me nuts!! So I keep a mini towel with me at all times.
This pretty much sums up my review for those potential buyers out there decided whether they should buy this unit or not. I give it a 8.5/10 final mark. I can honestly say that I don't have any regrets buying this phone. I love it. Sure, there are some down sides to it. But then again, can some1 find me a product that is perfect? I think not!
Hope I help anybody who had questions about this unit. Enjoy your future Atom!
P.S. One more thing, if you ever need to make a hard reset (master reset) on your Atom, I have figured it out how on my own. You have to press the reset button on the bottom of the phone + the power buttom simultaneously for 3-5sec. VERY IMPORTANT: A hard reset (master reset) will erase EVERYTHING you have in the phone and bring it back to its original factory settings. You will loose all the programs you have installed. So please, do this wisely and back up all your files before you do so.
I just happen to check out if there's any updates & I saw the new march rom upgrade?
Ok, it's actually not for the rom. It's for the camera.
The Xda Atom Camera Patch for English ROM (Mar 2006)where it contains improvements to quality of picture taken by built-in camera and provides fixes to camera software that sometimes causes device to hang when it is used in low light intensity environment.
It's available at http://www.seeo2.com/user/XdaA...N_Mar2006.vm
Remarks: As usual, unable to login the account... *sigh*....
hi guys, is there any new upgrade for Singapore? I think the latest upgrade ROM is for ppl in Malaysia, Vietnam and so.
It not good as they said, I bought it since 1st january 2006 but until now it still make more mistakes such as:
1-You will be hearing your voice when you call me.
2-Windows media player doesn't work until soft reset.
3-Poor connection with GSM 900
Just bought less than a week, fill that the speaker is very bad. The sound is very slow and not clear. Camera respond so slow, can anybody help me?
Dopod 838 is a good phone. However it is larger , heavier and much thicker than the Atom and comes with a seriously slow CPU (195MHz). It does have a nice keyboard though. The 818pro is closer in size with the Atom, but also comes with a seriously slow CPU that will not allow you to run skype. Both their battery size is much smaller than Atom, 1200mA vs 1530mA for the Atom. For me, compactness is very important since I carry lots of gadgets, so I demand all of them to be the smallest and lightest in their class.
Vikas, yes, it does support handwriting recognition, even in English word/sentence recognition using transcriber. You can write anywhere on the screen. I also have a Chinese software installed which allows me very accurate Chinese handwriting recognition. It will definitely support 2G miniSD. I know someone who uses one and I am planning to get one myself next week. 1G is totally insufficient given the power of this phone. If you get it, make sure you get the very latest ROM update done by the dealer before you bring it home. I had mine updated by the dealer before I get it.