[deleted post]Nope, read other reviews comparing ip4 and galaxy s, and they all consistently say that the ip4 has better display visibilty than galaxy. Colors on the retina display is not faded at all. No reviews ever said that about the retina display. Geez you're so dumb :)
Also, amoled does have deeper blacks, but the retina display has better whites. Blacks on the retina display may not be as deep as the amoled's, but it's still black, while whites on the amoled display is bluish, yuck :)
Anonymous, 08 Aug 2010You cannot say that amoled is better than the retina display just by contrast alone. Like I s... moresorry but i think you lose since you've forgotten that apple has failed making a functional phone...cough..dropped calls. Even before these two phones can be compared, Galaxy automatically wins.
Anonymous, 08 Aug 2010You cannot say that amoled is better than the retina display just by contrast alone. Like I s... moreyou 're right. more pixel means better text reading even it is dam small. I m not apple fan , but I can't find a matching substitute.
Anonymous, 08 Aug 2010You cannot say that amoled is better than the retina display just by contrast alone. Like I s... morevideos and pictures look better in retina? you must be delusional. have a real demo galaxy S and watch movie there...i assure you, you wont watch a "mp4-limited" faded video on iphone again.
iphone is for stupid, 08 Aug 2010haha retina is better than SUperAMoled?? have you seen both in your hands,, i did! both look g... moreYou cannot say that amoled is better than the retina display just by contrast alone. Like I said, the retina display is more legible outdoors, has better text rendering, which is what we look more at on a phone, colors more natural looking, more crisp both in text, videos, and photos, longer life, and much brighter. A lot more reviews favors the retina display over samsung's amoled display. You and gsm arena lose :)
Anonymous, 08 Aug 2010I agree with you that galaxy s is a great device as well, but it's still android. Which means... morehaha retina is better than SUperAMoled?? have you seen both in your hands,, i did! both look great but the most observable/MOST OBVIOUS difference is the color contrast of the S-amoled. the pixel density is not noticeable unless you put your face directly in front of your id*iotic face.
it scored higher because of a larger screen size and better looking superamoled .
[deleted post]Amoled is not not better than ips lcd, yet. Retina display is still better outdoors, more crisp, longer life, more natural looking colors, better whites (not bluish like amoled). Amoled's only better in contrast and viewing angle and that's it. Not all android devices have flash support. And yes, I am having so much fun and very happy with my iphone that is almost perfect :)
To all those who think the review is biased, if this review favoured the iPhone over the Samsung would you still say the review is biased ? Of course not.
If you have a problem with this review because you dont agree with the result than your problems go much deeper than a simple mobile phone review, please go see a psychiatrist.
Everything that is not pretty about the Galaxy S
OK. This is going to sound like a post which bashes on the Galaxy S. In truth, this is the best phone I ever had and I like it. But its not perfect. Actually, except for one thing, my problems with the phone are related to the “half-baked” nature of some parts of the phone and not the hardware and not Android. Anyway I will write all that I don’t like first, followed by just a few of the things I like which others have not talked about.
BTW, basically I moved from first gen iPhone to the SGS.
What’s not to like?
1. The absolute worst problem with the Galaxy S for me is a hardware design issue involving the headphone jack. On iPhones, you can use any headphone and talk into the phone and then listen to music. On the SGS, you can use any headphone to listen to music, but you can only use the included in-ear headphone (which are good…if you like in-ear stuff which I don’t) to talk. If your other headphone is plugged in during a call, you will neither hear the other side and they will not hear you. I am not aware of any specific adapters at this time. I tried a nokia N85 adapter and the other side could hear me, but I could not hear them.
2. On my unit, battery life is not spectacular (it does solidly last a day, but not much more), and Wifi disconnects after sleeping. GPS barely works. There are sometimes slowdowns, but rare and getting rarer. All of these I’m hoping will improve as new Froyo firmware comes out. I know that custom roms already fixed much of this.
3. Touchwiz is stupid. Fortunately, both custom roms and launcher apps like LauncherPro and ADW.Launcher both can essentially replace TouchWiz (BTW Touchwiz or SGS dialer with fast smartdialer is good)
4. My second biggest complaint…which I hope will get fixed… is that my contacts are not syncing into categories from Google. That sucks. And Google’s contact management leaves a lot to be desired (unlike calendar and gmail, which are best)
5. The software and drivers for USB PC connectivity are at best…crap. I cannot sync with my pc now. I can connect in mass storage mode, which is good (a little more complicated than doing this with a nokia, but that’s a quibble)
6.iPhone has more games and stuff. I really could care less because my phone is not for playing games. SGS comes with a word compatible document editor. Much more important.
What is great?
1. Coming from the iPhone 1st gen: speed, screen, customizability, reception, functionality. Maybe I would feel different if I came from the iPhone 3GS or iphone 4.
2. Many have said it before… the Android alert notification system is very good. Its such a relief not having messages pop up on my iPhone. This is one of the defining features IMHO. In itself this is not multi-tasking...but it sort of is in the true sense because this allow me to continue using my phone the way I want to use it without interruption.
3. Regular people don’t care about multi-tasking sure. But having gtalk and fring on…truly on… in the background is really cool
4. Information where and when I need it. Having my calendar and events and weather right there on the home screen is one of the reasons why I bought this phone. I love it.
So is iPhone 4 better? Antenna issues and cost aside, to me, clearly it is. But as I care about having schedule information / widgets front and center on my phone, and I have had bad impression of iPhone reception from before, and because where I live there is a huge price difference, I have to say that for me the Galaxy S is better.
ALonZo, 08 Aug 2010iPhone haters are so dumb. They worship the stupid iDont list but now come to praise the Galax... moreI agree with you that galaxy s is a great device as well, but it's still android. Which means, as far as apps are concerned, it cannot be as capable as the iphone, and it doesn't matter if they have identical ram or processor. The os is what makes iphone more superior. Majority of app developers prefer ios platform over android.
And yes, this review is bogus. This is the first review I've read that gave samsung's amoled display and edge over the retina display. Other reviews I've read always give more credit to the retina display, some gave them a tie, but never gave the winning display to the galaxy. Well at least now, galaxy fanboys have gsm arena as their reference. Still, this review is easily outnumbered by other professional reviews giving more credit to the iphone4. I guess you can't win all the time, eventhough they didn't really proclaim galaxy as the winner here. They just gave samsung more points and gave the iphone4 as little points as they can, lol. Sorry gsm arena, but I don't think what you say really matters. You guys are not that recognized in the tech community yourselves :)
And the Galaxy music player is better? The Apps support for the iPhone don't get 10/10? The Safari browser gets a lower rating? Wow how much can GSMArena hate the iPhone? Mind you that's prob just ONE persons opinion. Try giving a comparison to a non biased person next time, not an iPhone hater. Both phones are equally as good as each other. If ppl disagree, look at the design and Apps layout of the Galaxy S, it's based on the 3GS, meaning Samsung were influenced by Apple in order to make a great handset!
iPhone haters are so dumb. They worship the stupid iDont list but now come to praise the Galaxy S! The Galaxy S has no camera flash, a capacitive touchscreen (remember the iDont list lovers knuckle shuffle over the fact that resistive is better), the Galaxy S has no infared, no Flash for browser (until Froyo). Don't get me wrong, I think the Galaxy S is amazing, as good as the iPhone! But the iPhone haters are so dumb and make me laugh ha h ha ha
Just a heads up; the iPhone 4's camcorder doesn't actually crop the video recorded, it is just shown on the screen zoomed in to compensate for the ratio of the iPhone screen. Double tap anytime during recording to zoom out and you'll see the entire frame recorded.
This review is very good, but the applications section is not right. Maybe i change the Iphone to 10/10 and Samsung to 7/10 for today. For the later months of this year this score maybe change to 10/10 - 8/10. The rest of the review is ok.
I've read almost all reviews from bouth phones and the worst is from phone@rena tha gives Iphone 4 9.5 and Galaxy S 8.5. Theres no that great difference between both. Same here, besides antennagate problem AND applications, where have the clear differences.
Anyway, i've bought and Galaxy S and have an 3GS.
I've used Iphone since its first generation ,and I have to admit it,it's just a hoax,a big faliure...Apple should just go back making computers,and leave mobiles for the experts to produce !Samsung has marched to the top,with reliable handsets ! My next purchase will defenitly be a top Samsung one ,Android rules without a doubt !
To those that claim that Galaxy S would be succeeded with another galaxy in a few months time. You are wrong. Galaxy S wouldnt have a successor as fast as you guys thought. The fact that Galaxy S is the baby of a 22 Man task force created by Samsung to tackle the rising popularity of smartphone, they are currently working on the updates of galaxy S. recently on its result release conference, the executive of samsung mentioned that galaxy s wouldn't be succeeded yet until next year. So buyers are assured that the phone they bought are still the flagship model of samsung and they are still looking into the updates of the phone.
apple is a joke.. they pay tv and radio personalities like ryan seacrest and kissFM to endorse them. theyre not popular for their performance, thats for sure. its a sad day when the iphone is the best we can do. Galaxy S > iphone
I Have a milestone just because of the physical keyboard i don't have no complaints. To each his own!
http://gizmodo.com/5605714/thi...hate-too-far you need to read this. I need to get a room with this dude LOL