Reviews - Reader comments

LG Optimus G review: Grand Slam

22 October 2012 | Read the review | Post your comment
LG Optimus G review: Grand Slam - read the full textDesigned to a flagship standard and powered by the latest in handheld computing, the Optimus G cannot hope for a warm welcome from rivals but is due every bit of their respect. LG is not asking for it its getting ready to earn it...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Mobilemaster @ 2012-10-25 10:00 from 0UuF - click to readwell if u r talking about capacitive screen on mobile ,,it was Lg first

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-25 14:32
  • Hkqj

> In reply to ppp @ 2012-10-25 10:12 from n$Q% - click to readi understand u ,,u hav been right till now,,giving good hardware is not the complete package ,,software assistance should be up to mark,,it's an universal fact
but i'm saying just to be a little bit positive about them,,,might be possible they might be learning by their past,,,android first introduced was not perfect nor it is now,,but u can see how it's heading ,,so may be Lg would be heading in right direction,
I am saying this bcoz after so many earlier bad attempts Lg is still trying to be in the race and sometimes try to be ahead of the race ,

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-25 14:30
  • Hkqj

> In reply to ppp @ 2012-10-25 09:20 from n$Q% - click to readGet real! What a load of rubbish you said there...

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-25 13:31
  • 0Us{

> In reply to IgorSh @ 2012-10-24 21:28 from ptRB - click to readGo and buy a Samsung or a Motorola phone, you won't regret it.

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-25 10:50
  • 0UuF

> In reply to ai @ 2012-10-25 09:03 from Hkqj - click to readWell I'm concerned about LG p920 not 2x p990 ... And I'm not saying I won't buy LG phone no more ... Maybe I will, but it is bugging me to read all those praise lavished upon Optimus G; I agree it has strong hardware but software is as important and here LG have had some real problems, and it is very unlikely that from now on all will change and there will be on-time updates and support, sorry but I need some proof after all those months of deception by LG

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-25 10:12
  • n$Q%

> In reply to ppp @ 2012-10-25 09:20 from n$Q% - click to readI don't know why I can't Log in, but I am going to tell my opinion, and my opinion is, that some people doesn't know what they should know. There were touchscreen phones in 2002 as well(Sony Ericcson P800). So NOT LG was the first with a touchscreen phone.

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-25 10:00
  • 0UuF

> In reply to eFiJy @ 2012-10-24 21:54 from 0Us{ - click to readHave you read my posts?? It seems you haven't. As said before no ICS update is just a part of the story. The real problem is the software. I'll repeat it again: buying a phone one expects one can make and receive phone calls, but with LG p920 that was actually not the case for 4/5 months. Very, very frustrating, and what was even worse was LG attitude to their customers, Instead of addressing the issue they were denying and lying that the there was not such a problem. So it is not only about the updates but the company's reliability and attitude towards their customers which put many people off.

Now about the first touchscreen mobile, as far as I know the first mobile to sport a touchscreen and be a smartphone was HTC Wallaby, back in 2003. So LG was not as innovative as you think while producing their touchscreen phones, they copied from HTC. And even if they had been the first to introduce the touchscreen mobile (but they hadn't been the first...) it is not a reason to buy their phones which have poor support and software.
And saying LG is not for common people ... trololololo, yes I agree LG is for special people LMAO

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-25 09:20
  • n$Q%

> In reply to ppp @ 2012-10-24 16:35 from 0wS7 - click to readto every cryers
Lg released the ics source code for the LG optimus 2x..
Now stop crying about Updates,,,in a matter of few days you will have very much functional CM10 and who knows Official update....
u r right at your point ,,but as i said ,,u and peoples like u ,,,should give Lg a second chance ,,,hardware wise they are first amd may be this time softaware wise also

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-25 09:03
  • Hkqj

@ppp

Why do you keep saying that they don't provide updates? Have you found another issue with an LG phone? Of course not, and you pick on LG only for this problem, the update problem. As I said before, this will be solved from 2013. I accept that LG did some mistakes in the past, but get over it.

You have to realise that if you have an Iphone, an S3, a DROID RAZR or an Xperia is because LG decided to make the first touchscreen phone and smartphone. You people really don't know to appreciate these things, and you never will, that's why is LG special and is not for "common" people.

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 21:54
  • 0Us{

Never buy an LG phone. 1 year from now, you will end up with a expensive hardware monster running the same Android version.

You wouldn't buy latest technology LED Full HD TV just to watch analogue signal channels, would you?

The same thing happened to me with my Optimus 2x. Still running on Android 2.3, October 24th 2012, still no update.

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 21:28
  • ptRB

> In reply to ppp @ 2012-10-24 18:44 from 0wS7 - click to readHARDWARE?

The hardware here from LG is excellent. It truly is. From the display, the simplistic yet unique design, their glass-like rear panel covering that 13 megapixel camera and more. LGs hardware has always been fairly nice,

SOURCE: Android Community

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 19:44
  • t7y0

> In reply to ppp @ 2012-10-24 18:44 from 0wS7 - click to readLG's Optimus "G" BATTERY?



LG is advertising that the Optimus G will last for up to 15 hours in a call and the phone delivered and even exceeded that slightly with 15 hours and 30 minutes. This beats the Galaxy S III time by over 50%, an impressive achievement.


LG Optimus G offers good battery life that should easily get even heavier users through the day.


We suspect the Optimus G time will also improve when LG gets around to releasing the JB update.

SOURCE: GsmArena

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 19:42
  • t7y0

> In reply to ppp @ 2012-10-24 18:44 from 0wS7 - click to read LG'S Optimus "G" AUDIO?

LG Optimus G with some of the cleanest output we have seen.
the Optimus G results came out excellent in the first part of our test.

LG Optimus G produced one of the cleanest outputs we have seen. The volume levels dont drop like on most of the Optimus G rivals, either, so they can qualify as average on this occasion.

SOURCE: GsmArena

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 19:38
  • t7y0

> In reply to LG LIFE IS GOOD @ 2012-10-24 18:14 from t7y0 - click to readOh boy another LG fanboy ... hey have you read the Optimus G review? It says "13MP camera [is] hardly any better than competitors' 8MP units" so it is not very good ...
About camcorder:
"In our video comparison tool, the Optimus G didn't quite manage to match the HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S III performance in either good or bad lighting. The Optimus G videos are still perfectly usable, but it's obviously lagging behind the One X and, particularly the Galaxy S III on this occasion". There you go ;)

@eFiJy
Leaving aside displays (as I said it is very subjective matter: one prefers IPS, the other Sony Bravia, while another SuperAmoled, Let customers decide); the problem with LG is their support or lack of it and the software itself ...and their in-phone cameras are quite poor ;)

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 18:44
  • 0wS7

> In reply to ppp @ 2012-10-24 17:58 from 0wS7 - click to readLG is comeback...


LG's Optimus "G" and LG's NEXUS 4!

whatever you say...
atleast

Optimus "G" is currently the BEST phone.

excellent Chipset/Processor/Hardware
excellent Display
excellent design
excellent Audio/Speaker

very good HD 1080 Video recorder
very good 13MP Camera
very good UI
very good Multimedia
very good Batterylife.

OVERALL: winner over competitors...

Lif's GREAT!

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 18:14
  • t7y0

> In reply to ppp @ 2012-10-24 17:58 from 0wS7 - click to readIphone has LG displays...what don't you understand from this sentence? And indee it has the best features of all phones, only lacking the software update, but it's a small price to pay...

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 18:04
  • 0Us{

> In reply to eFiJy @ 2012-10-24 17:08 from 0Us{ - click to readyou're very wrong: first of all I'm talking all the time about LG p920 (not p990), as Gsmarena has it p920 was released in July 2011, so it has a little more than a year, for you information Samsung s2 was released in April 2011 and has been updated to ICS a while ago and now is getting Jellybean, HTC Sensation also has been updated to ICS, even one-core SE mobiles have been updated to ICS (Xperia Arc S, Neo v); So please DO NOT LIE, because almost all flagships, aparat from Moto Atrix, and LG, were given ICS update. The worst thing is there is no clear message from LG as I said before. Each time they say different things or postpone the ICS update over and over so that many users are fed up with it and promise not to buy LG phones no more and to warn others of LG and their lack of proper support (I'm not making this up, it all have been told many times on the lg p920 forum).

And the second part of you post shows you are either an LG fan boy or employee, I mean this part: "the best building materials, has the best design, the best hardware, the best displays". For sure you mean IPS screens, but HTC has AMOLED with higher res., Samsung has SuperAmoled and PLS, Sony has Bravia Engine and Motorola also uses Superamoled, not to mention Iphone's retina display, and to choose the best from that group is a subjective thing, all of them have their pros and cons. For your knowledge Google is also working with Samsung and probably Sony and HTC too because they want to provide a whole range of Nexus devices; don't forget that 3 previous Nexus phones were manufactured by HTC and Samsung...a coincidence I don't think so ;)

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 17:58
  • 0wS7

> In reply to ppp @ 2012-10-24 16:35 from 0wS7 - click to readAll phone manufacturers decided not to update their older phones, like 1 or 2 years old...the O2X is 2 years old. Get over it! Beginning with the O4X HD, LG has changed its mentality and with the appearance of Optimus G, you can see for yourself how good it is, LG can't move backwards from this, they learnt many things from their past. And all of you who like the Optimus G but are afraid that it won't be updated, don't worry, it will be updated worldwide before winter holidays.

Trust me folks, LG has solved this update issue by making the next Nexus phone. This partnership between Google and LG can only be good for both sides, LG especially, if Google helps them as much as they helped Samsung with on time updates, then everyone will want an LG, not a different brand. Why do you think Google chose LG as a base for the next Nexus? Because they're rubbish? No, because Google knows that LG uses the best building materials, has the best design, the best hardware, the best displays(they sell displays to other manufacturers including to Apple). And with the best OS running on a device made by LG, the world would now realise what an LG means in fact, you have to like the other features too, not only the OS.

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 17:08
  • 0Us{

> In reply to eFiJy @ 2012-10-24 15:10 from 0Us{ - click to readit seems you have not read my post carefully; lack of the update is one thing (and what you mean by: "living in the past") p920 is/was a high and phone and lg promised to update it, however they failed to do it on time, what's worse though is the fact they seem not to give a toss about the customers, there is lack on information from them and each time you ask them they say different things;

why haven't you referred to the ghost call issue? just to explain the term: calls and sms do not reach you, extremely frustrating as it is LG played a fool saying there is no such a problem (anyone interested see xda forums), To be fair, after 4 or 5 months LG released an update which seems to solve the ghost call issue, however the fact that they were denying it for so much time is contemptible. But the list of problems is longer than that ... check for yourselves.
And no I'm not LG hater, I just express my opinion based on my experience with lg products ...
You've written that people do not think for themeselves and buy products which are advertised in the media ... To some extent you're right, however many will choose samsung over lg because of what they've heard from people as you and me and what they have read on the internet and believe me LG is not well written/spoken of, and that's their own fault

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 16:35
  • 0wS7

Nice looking phone, good HW but, locket bootloader, and LG sw support, I have Optimus 2X. Good phone, I wouldn't change it, but LG fu*ck about customers. Still without ICS. And they don't say anything, this phone without xda would be dead.

  • Reply
  • 2012-10-24 15:52
  • AZ%V

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.