Reviews - Reader comments

HTC DROID DNA review: Champion genes

21 November 2012 | Read the review | Post your comment
HTC DROID DNA review: Champion genes - read the full textThe HTC DROID DNA just couldn’t have come to the market at a better time. The Taiwanese company’s first smartphone in the United States with a 5” 1080p display is given the tall task of turning its maker’s fate around, and bring...

 

Sort by:

> In reply to Kal 09 @ 2012-11-26 01:53 from HCqj - click to readLet me make it short and easy for you:
U have the ability to take photos while recording a video in note2...Are u aware who brought that?
U have ability to access apps from lockscreen in note2...Are u aware who brought that?
Do u know the camera on one x ,+ and Dna have f/2.0 lens which is not found on any other phone except 808 or one of the sony phones lately i don't remember.
TO KNOw THE USE OF IT, MOVE A BIT FURTHER AND CHECK THE SINGLE CAMERA COMPARISON RATHER THAN SAYING THAT THESE HTC'S RECORD AT 24FPS AND S3 AND NOTE2 DOES THAT AT 30FPS.
Having note2 u must be familiar with the s-pen.Do u even know about HTC Flyer, the tablet who's stylus had more features than s-pen.Research on it
Further i am not sure about this one:
do u have the ability to move your apps to sd-card without rooting?
And let me remind u that if u are a browser junkie, then absence of text reflow hampers the experience a lot.
But as u said, u haven't had an HTC yet so no point in debating.
Now to your point that HTC is high on problems:
well check out S3(global version) comments section on gsmarena itself.Now that it has been several months like i said 5-6 months it has been out in the market, people have started complaining about it.Obviusly u'll see comments like:
S3 is superphone, it is the best etc.
but when it came out there were only positive about it and that's the case no more.
Just to recheck my this statement u can see in NOTE2's blog that people are right now only commenting in +ve manner but wait for 2-3 months more and u'll see for yourself.I would also recommend to visit onex(global version) and u'll will see that ratio of -ve over +ve's is less than that of s3.
U have direct call, smart stay, ok..
Now tell me how would u feel that while on a call u flip over your phone to keep it on a flat surface and loudspeaker automatically goes alive or when u set your ringer volume less than max and your phone is in your pocket and in case of ladies, in their bags, the phone automatically rings to max volume.

Anyways,I am not here to promote HTC.They better do their marketing task by themselves.
U must visit HTC.com end explore HTC Sense.Further do check HTCdev.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLvmhm9tzXQ

Check it out.Notice the voice in both the cases and the use of Bigger lens in case of one x...

Do check the company structure of apple and samsung as compared to HTC to put shed some light on your knowledge
Cheers mate :)

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-26 05:56
  • vGeJ

Great phone..

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-26 05:13
  • 6%16

> In reply to Kal 09 @ 2012-11-26 01:53 from HCqj - click to readI see you asked for implementations from HTC, did you know that HTC implemented and populzarized the 4.3" in the smartphones with big screens, and that HTC HD2 was choosen by a lot of big websites and magazines best smartphone of the year, beating iphone 4 (HTC HD2 is one of the few phones which could run the largest number of operating systems in the world), HTC also was the first company with an HD screen in a smartphone (the ONE X) and FullHD (DROID DNA), and HTC have the best 3D smartphone, the EVO 3D.

You also said that most of the people do research before buying an smartphone, dude if that were to really be the case, Apple couldn´t make all that money with the iphones, the people buy what's on tv, that´s how this world works nowdays...

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-26 03:09
  • PtGM

> In reply to Nishu11 @ 2012-11-25 08:49 from vG6h - click to readLet me make this clear; I've been around long enough to knows the doo and daa of phones. I'm certainly not claiming to be a know-it-all but I know enough to make educated statements as opposed to others who post whatever trash that fulfills there self-motivated ambitions.
My social skills are hardly that important when "debating" with someone over the net! I wasn't being obsessive, I was simply replying to you as how I saw you - biased and misleading.
You say that HTC aren't as big as Samsung? That they don't have as much money? Neither do Nokia or Apple but they don't complain! If HTC have the money to purchase the latest S4 chip sets and make redundant upgrades like the OneX+ then they have the resources to build reliable phones that don't incur faults. Now I've never used a HTC but it's widely known that they're right at the top of the "Phones need repairing" list.
Have I got a problem with that or HTC? No. Quite frankly I couldn't care less. I do however have a problem with the studies that you provided which are absolute garbage. HTC being second spoke volumes of the study itself. So no, I have no problem with HTC - just you and your useless links.

When I said HTC brag about benchmarks I was referring to the company and no their fans, although I may beg to differ on that. What I mean is that HTC focus on benchmarks too much and how powerful their chip sets are as opposed to producing something that's different to the markets offering, the DROID market. That's why they'll always be behind Samsung and EVEN Apple.
And you say that HTC have tried to differentiate from others? Give me 5 significant software/hardware implementations in their recent devices that were first introduces in their phones.
LOLOLOL you're unreal! People aren't aware of what they buy is basically what you're implying? You're implying that EVERYONE who purchases a smartphone buys it without knowing anything about the device.
Even though I clearly bought the Note 2 and returned my S3 just because it's big and not because of the many advantages the Note 2 has. LOL get real and fix up. Just because you get people that buy phones based on reputation or social influences doesn't mean this behaviour represents the mass. The majority of people will do thorough research before they purchase a DROID or an Apple handset. People aren't stupid and not everyone are so narrow minded. You need to get this fixation out of your mind because quite frankly it's embarrassing.
Text reflow? You mention one software implementation that Sammy don't have? Is that all you can come up with? Quite frankly that's sad.
And yeah people (iPhone users) do buy on social trends - oh it's an iPhone how cool am I? But you also get people who have make educated decisions before they buy a phone! :)

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-26 01:53
  • HCqj

Great phone with good os, chipset and screen. Only problem is storage and battery. One x has 32gb and one x+ has 64gb. So why did HTC put only 16gb in the droid DNA?

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-25 20:55
  • m1Px

The review is quite incomplete. why didnt gsm arena include the audio quality tests with headphones attached? i am very interested in the headphone audio quality as i base my purchase on that (I use my phone a lot to listen to audio). I currently have galaxy s i9000 with voodoo audio and its amazing. are the beats audio dacs really good or just ok?

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-25 14:45
  • 0CTN

Well apart from different opinions and fights. Once HTC was a cool smart phone producer and somehow leader ... such as touch hd, hd2 ... but now things are different ... meizu , huawei and similiars will be the next ...
But samsung as far as I know right now is the best ...

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-25 10:00
  • a4Xi

> In reply to Kal 09 @ 2012-11-23 17:39 from HCqj - click to readu couldn't get me because u got obsessive.Its your obsession that made u possesive.U gotta need some social classes before commenting on such social forums.
anyways thats your personal matter coming to your point
Firstly:
Do u think that HTC has more money than Samsung to pay for such researches?
whatever the size of research was, there was same probability for every company to come on top.So don't become biased towards samsung.
Yes, u are right that nokia was once producing reliable phones infact they were the only one's people would have heard of.But the scenario has changed alot for them.
Then u said that HTC brag about benchmarks.
I would like to tell you that i too myself don't consider benchmarks as a sole for performance but for your kind information it is not me neither was HTC to brag about Benchmarks.
It was samsung to bash it.
Send me a link to single preview on youtube from past 3 months to 1.5 years back where sammy fans have not bragged about benchmarks.It seems you are new to the market brother because u say that HTC brag about benchmarks...HUH...
Secondly:
HTC, from day 1 has tried to differentiate themselves from others because neither they want to compete to others nor they have ability to do so(I have mentioned this before that HTC is a small company compered to others).
As far as lag is noticed, i didn't told you or anyone to believe me rather anyone can go out to the store and check for yourself.
Now don't give me the sales as the proof for yourself coz people mostly buy just to show of.I am again mentioning that owners are not even aware of the features of their own phones.I told before that don't believe me and check for yourself.Exynos has problems considering its life my mate.There's no use of having that large Developer's support when there's problem with the chipset.
U talk about samsung's true innovation and features.Ok they have got multitasking, direct call etc but do they offer text reflow(a small consideration but leaves to desire a lot if it is missing in browser experience).Its about preference my mate but the problem today is people don't choose buy their preference but by seeing others in their social circle.

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-25 08:49
  • vG6h

no micro sd slot.... 11gb of space... fail....

overall great phone but fail...

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-25 04:40
  • I0Fg

If the international version has more memory i will buy it, im tired of waiting for nokia to wow me againg. Its time to move on, and if nokia by some miracle brings out an super phone il switch back again..

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-24 06:06
  • NmqR

Very2 great phone, don't hear some bloke's rants, haters gonna hate

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-24 04:59
  • PVaa

This really is an awesome phone, it´s a shame that only it have just 11gb available for the user (or at least for me), What I really want is a review for just the screen on this phone, colors, sunlight reflection, NFC functionality, brightness, etc, because this device is iconic, the first 1080p phone!!!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-24 04:20
  • PtGM

> In reply to Kal 09 @ 2012-11-22 19:03 from M$2g - click to readLol. You were relevant up until the point when you started going off on your rant about deciding who's the general mass is and how putting the case on your phone is subjective and irrevelant to the device's built quality. Because somehow your specialty on reading up reviews and perhaps maybe a couple tech-junkie friends of yours have persuaded you to automatic think that is what the mass wants. Now I'm safely assuming that we are talking about the gigantic note 2 here and nothing else in your mind that might baffle you. Let's just say out of hundreds and millions of smartphones the note 1 or 2 and any other devices in its catagory captured 5 percent of that. Better yet, I'll be nice and give you 10 percent. What am I'm basing this off on? Well since you are so good about reading up blogs and reviews I would think you have already calculated the math based on sales.

To add further, almost every big so-called smartphones(5inch and bigger) failed and failed miserably before the first note. Give credit to Samsung riding off its galaxy line reputation, great marketing, and riched filled features to finally make a dent into this market. But by no means it represent the bigger part of the general mass you were so quick to defend. Have Apple iPhone(small 3.5-4inch screen)sales ever lost its stride?

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-23 22:03
  • jbVi

fail!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-23 20:16
  • 3pRb

> In reply to Nishu11 @ 2012-11-23 03:37 from vGeX - click to readYou're a very BIG hypocrite and just to let you know you should read your sources before you use them as proof as those links were quite frankly embarrassing.

Firstly, studies that are produced on such a small scale have no reliability or relevance simply because "we" (anyone with a sane mentality) will go with something more constructive and representative of the majority and not a few people paid to give biased doo-daa.
The second link you posted lost any credibility you had with the study taking place before the release of the S3 across the Atlantic.
What makes these studies even more ridiculous is that HTC is placed 2nd and Nokia is literally at the bottom. Anyone with an ounce of common know-how will tell you HTC are just wannabe's who think benchmarks and chip-sets will give them success and Nokia is widely known as an efficient durable handset producer. Assuming these studies are reflecting users happiness with regards to long levity because after all you keep banging on about how Sammy goes all bust after 4/5 months!
Long story short, these studies have no relevance and foolishly using them to back you up won't get you anywhere.
You claim the S3 lags after 5 days that didn't work so now you're manipulating people by saying they lag after 5/6 months of usage.
Each and every sect' of your post has to this date included some bias way of marketing your hatred to Sammy and as a result you've lost all credibility. It's clear that you will do anything out of your way to discredit Samsung. Such a boring depressing desperate life you live...LOL..Keep hating on them though as they continue to dominate the Android and smartphone market..

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-23 17:39
  • HCqj

Don't Worry About Storage. Because This Phone's International version HTC Deluxe is getting 64 GB Of on board Storage With No Micro SD Slot. I Think This Storage Space Is Enough For Most Of Users

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-23 08:08
  • YTLq

> In reply to Noel Carson @ 2012-11-22 13:57 from XNtq - click to readI would again like to mention that half of those features are in no use most of the time
Further u wanna see lag in Touchwiz then take for instance:
In S3:
Go to settings>Display>Tap font size and Tap font style>Then press home button...
See for yourself brother...well i am just another guy writing all this
Being known to the fact I don't have a recognised identity just like you people, I don't even expect you to believe me either
But for sure XDA's , google, and my bookmarks have identity
So just check XDA forums to know about the life of EXYNOS,
Check Google to compare the life of Amoleds vs LCD's(why doesn't samsung's own tabs don't have LED coz max resolution limit of LED's are lower than of LCD's)
And here goes my BM:
Check them, FOR 2012

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1357...tion-survey/

For 2011:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/0...rim-reading/

I hope that you can infer one thing that apple is on top because its owners are highly obsessed with it.
I just wanted to share that people though buy sammsung considering features but the phone start lagging after 5-6 months...The result is below average satisfaction from samsung users..If u want more proofs i have many.
Let me tell you that Samsung came into smartphone race just 2 years ago..HTC was there well before that(This means something if you could get my point)..CHEERS

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-23 03:37
  • vGeX

"No microSD card slot; only 11GB of user-available memory", this phone is irrelevant/unuseable, only waste of money!

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-22 20:56
  • J5M$

Its a totaly fail mobile only 11gb space thn wht is the use of ths full hd mobile..totaly fail..

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-22 19:26
  • 7tx9

I hope, Like One X+ has, Droid DNA also carries a USB OTG function which is in Sense 4+ UI. Good luck HTC

  • Reply
  • 2012-11-22 19:25
  • U{GB

Note: Sponsored advertising links are in green.