Samsung B7610 OmniaPRO preview: First look
Samsung are not quite the standard-setter in communicator devices but are obviously keen to have their say. Playing catch up seems well in order for a debut but we guess someone here is set to play for keeps. The Samsung B7610 OmniaPRO is a generously spec'd device that's poised to tackle the best in the class and even raise the bet. While sheer size and scope confine it to a niche, the Samsung communicator might be just the right option for those served by that niche.
Having acquired a pre-release sample of the side-slider PocketPC we are squeezing in a short preview, introducing its most important features. The chunky bloke does give a decent first impression, but handling will be the ultimate test. For starters, let's look at the key items on the Samsung B7610 OmniaPRO's balance sheet.
Samsung B7610 OmniaPRO at a glance:
- General: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, UMTS 900/2100 MHz, HSDPA 3.6Mbps
- Form factor: Full QWERTY side-slider
- Dimensions: 112.6 x 57.8 x 16.2 mm, 159g
- Display: 3.5" 16M color (65K effective) resistive AMOLED touchscreen of WVGA resolution
- OS: Windows Mobile 6.1 (upgradable to 6.5), TouchWiz 2.0 UI
- Memory: 1GB built-in storage, 256 MB RAM, hot-swappable microSD (up to 16GB)
- CPU: 800 MHz processor with dedicated graphics accelerator
- Camera: 5 megapixel auto-focus, with dual LED flash and VGA video at 30 fps
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0 with A2DP, standard microUSB port, GPS receiver with A-GPS, TV out, 3.5mm standard audio jack
- Misc: Accelerometer for screen auto rotate and turn-to-mute, FM radio with RDS, DivX/XviD video support, work and leisure modes
- Battery: 1500mAh Li-Ion battery
Samsung are obviously eyeing market penetration at all levels. The B7610 OmniaPRO is their scout in a long colonized territory. HTC.are clearly the key target, though the communicator game is competitive enough with XPERIA, Nseries and Eseries all keen to take the lead.
A heavyweight fight it sure is but let's focus on this one contender here. The OmniaPRO will hit the scales and warm up with a hardware inspection on the next page.
Reviews > Samsung B7610 OmniaPRO preview: First look