Samsung Exhibit II 4G T679 - user opinions and reviews

Samsung

6.3
6.5
6.1

I don't think I was the target consumer for this phone because I hated it almost every second I had it. It is slow, unresponsive, and runs software and hardware that was outdated even when I bought it (Fall 2012). The keyboard can be glitchy (e.g. key presses produce no on-screen letters), and apps either ran poorly or did not function at all. Memory and space are limited on this phone. The camera focus is SLOW and the photos are of medium-to-poor quality-- the camera app also forgot settings every now and then, especially with regard to image size. Often the camera would switch from the 3MP size to the 640x480 size on its own, meaning you could have a day of photos completely ruined by low resolution. The biggest culprit is the selfie mode, which automatically switches the phone to 640x480 and keeps it that way even when switching back to normal shooting mode. Imagine going out on hike, taking great high resolution photos of the area, doing a quick selfie, and then forgetting to switch the settings back once you return to the rear camera. Super disappointing.

Sometimes it would take up to TWO MINUTES for my contacts list to populate, or even show up. Usually, in the time it would take for certain music apps to load, I could already be at my destination. Every now and then hitting the 'call' button resulted in no immediate action, only to have the phone try to make calls about FIVE MINUTES LATER. And if you hit the call button more than once, it would queue all the calls and try to do them in succession, so you would have to repeatedly hang up each call individually.

Other times the phone just shut off randomly, or froze to the point where you had to take the battery out. Or got stuck on 'media scanner.' Or... you get the idea.

I recommend this phone strictly for people with no desire to do anything but call or text. The web browser is slow and the Google Search app is buggy as heck (after searching and browsing results, the app would sometimes randomly send you back to the search bar and not allow you to return to the page or results you were looking at). A relatively young user, like college or high school student, will likely find this phone inadequate to keep up with their social media needs. Plus, the thing is not stylish at all. Just very basic with a cheap feel.

I honestly have no clue how I managed to use this thing for two years without smashing it with a hammer.

• 2014-09-15 09:10
  • rWgq

Just an OK phone as supplied by T-Mobile. This runs on Gingerbread (i.e. ten Android versions old!) and it is loaded with junk you don't want / need.

Absolutely the way to go is to root the phone and install Cyanomod 11 (based on Android KitKat 4.4). KitKat was optimized for smaller RAM sizes and it really flies compared with the stock Gingerbread ROM. One you root the phone and install Cyanomod all the preinstalled garbage from T-Mobile is wiped and you have a totally clean up-to-date Android OS that you can customize as you wish (Google Play Store is your friend, lots of good free apps). Just don't turn on the ARM compiler as the small RAM can't handle it if you have a lot of apps (but WOW, it files with ARM compiled apps).

Rooting is not for nervous newbies, but it is not that hard. Read the instructions over at the XMA Developers Forum carefully (including the part about making a backup) and you will be fine. My rooted Exhibit II runs much faster than my wife's stock iPhone 4S and has loads more functionality.

• 2014-07-24 18:36
  • stCr

The mega pixel does not work

• 2014-07-16 18:59
  • qTIP

Not exactly anything I'd recommend. It's an entry level phone, that is very dated. It seemed that no matter what I did, it always ran slow, due to the lack of memory.

Pros:
-Unlocked Bootloader
-Can run Android 4.x
-Decent camera
-Can run minecraft PE alright on the stock GB ROM
-Easily obtain SwapSD support (The feature I miss most)
Renable USB Mass Storage through Mods

Cons:
-Very small size (For some this is a pro)
-Ancient specs
-Struggles to do minute things
-Spotty Network (Mostly would be using 2g\Edge)
-Manual Camera focus takes a minute to adjust then snap photo.

I lost patience with this and ended up smashing it.

To end it all, It's an okay starter phone for someone who wants the basics, a decent camera, music, and lightweight gaming, but if you want to have facebook, skype and various resource hogging programs running, then get something else...... and also make sure the bootloader is unlocked! because MOST companies will force crippled, resource hungry versions of android on phones and lock the bootloaders making them just as useless and slow as this samsung was.

• 2014-07-13 23:57
  • qLKs

Plaes help me my samsung galaxy exhibit ii 4g it can not accep 3g or 4g but can accep with 2g or gsm i'm from las p.d.r what will to do

• 2014-07-05 21:22
  • PECt

> In reply to ajith @ 2014-05-15 10:38 from rJW2 - click to readWhy ...!! My moblie not usaing 3g or 4g but only uasing 2g who is know updet softwire...?? help me now...

• 2014-06-01 00:25
  • PF9Z

> In reply to PK @ 2014-05-07 23:27 from jJA{ - click to readPlease tell me how you installed the costom ROM on your SGH-T679.
Email me you answer......My Email address is (hassannadeen80@gmail.com)

• 2014-05-27 14:22
  • uZaU

im using this mobile the mobile model is super but it working slow and slow ...its version is old can we update it are say how can improve its speed ple reply

• 2014-05-15 10:48
  • rJW2

im using this mobile ....the mobile model is super ..but it working slow and slow...it is old version can we update it...are say how can improve its speed ...ple reply ..

• 2014-05-15 10:38
  • rJW2

> In reply to Emmanuel @ 2014-04-24 16:05 from fsWr - click to readWhy is it that the phone can't even move to 2G or 3G and you claim it is 4G. please teach me how to set it to at least 2G thanks

• 2014-05-11 15:42
  • fuvG

I installed recently custom ROM into this mobile. My new one burned, so I was forced to return after year to this phone. It has almost three years now. It was slooow and slowing down.
After some tries I installed Slim Bean 3.1.0 Ancora ROM and this mobile is flying. I'm runing Skype, Fring, Oovoo, Viber, IM+, IMO, wifi tethering, weather widget plus other aplication simmultaneously and this phone is working without lagging. When I compare it to my previous quad core phone it is practically same speed.
It is Android 4.1.2 anyone annoyed by slow speed of this mobile please go for it.

• 2014-05-07 23:27
  • jJA{

the phone works great..in the united states...it supports 4g perfectly...in the united states...t mobile its great..in the united states..please people..understand that if there was a t mobile network in your area..wherever the heck it is..nepal...buenos aires..etc..this phone will work great...but since there isnt...it wont.....i am in peru..it supports 2g perfectly..no complaints here phone is great..but it will be greater if i was in the united states of america

• 2014-05-02 05:17
  • Kmft

> In reply to Jjay @ 2013-01-24 20:57 from khwK - click to readIts pretty good actually and it doesn't freeze doesn't have network problems and I really like this phone :-)

• 2014-04-30 02:08
  • RbqA

It is not even up to 2G or H.If it is up to 3G then please show me the process

• 2014-04-24 16:21
  • fsWr

My problem is mine is not even 2G ,talkin abt the data....It is only Edge.Please help me to get 2G or 3G

• 2014-04-24 16:05
  • fsWr

The best phone I ever had, It's got all the features we want, It has two cameras and flash What more do we need from a phone that It has everything I've been having the phone for almost 4 yeares and nothing happened to it it never got broken or got screen scratches it's really a good phone that I wouldn't exchange it with any other new phones, I am satisfied with it.

• 2014-03-22 20:57
  • JKXt

My screen touch has blocked, so what can I do?

• 2014-01-07 11:04
  • N9QU

I had one for three years and it functions well even today as we speak. The one problem I had with it is that it's only 3 a megapixel camera. Considering I bought it new for $150, it's an amazing phone dollar for dollar. I'm actually selling it now in Europe for 60 that is about $80. Not a bad investment.

• 2014-01-02 19:51
  • 5x7u

I bought this phone two years ago. It was decent at first but the longer I had it, the slower it became. It got to the point where making a call took 5-10 tries, with restarts.
However, I will say... rooting this phone changed everything. It now runs apps and such smooth as butter.

• 2013-12-01 01:33
  • 0gjt

• 2013-11-30 20:21
  • Ibxp
Total of 224 user reviews and opinions for Samsung Exhibit II 4G T679.