Samsung Galaxy Q T589R - user opinions and reviews

Samsung

6.5
6.4
6.2

For someone who needs a phone to send messages and make calls, this fits the bill perfectly (so far).

One of this phones weakest point's is it's software & it should be taken into consideration before you buy this. It's not the smoothest (or the newest) android experience today, but it's still MILES ahead of the dreaded and now almost extinct symbian OS on older devices; They don't even compare in terms of functionality. The OS is definitely oudated in terms of application compatibility.

Hardware wise, things are a little better, but not perfect. The touch screen is capacitive which is a godsend for a phone purchased at this price, but the dpi is rather average, no retina displays or fancy HD screens here. Call clarity is good, the keyboard is a bit oddly spaced and shaped however; my biggest gripe being the space key; it's just 2 small keys with a bit of rubber connecting them together to form a "bar". It feels odd to press as a result. It takes some getting used to but the quirks of it are easily overlooked with repeated consistent use.

The phone feels solid for the most part but be warned; bar phones are definitely a lot more durable than most if not all sliders & flip phones. It just... wont. No questions. The chrome painted plastic rim (which will predictably wear off over time) and plastic housing definitely isn't doing the phone any favors.

The camera is also surprisingly decent for a 3.2 megapixel camera anyways, no graininess and very clear shots in good light conditions, but cameras on phones today can definitely outshine this one in terms of picture fidelity and definition, I'd be hard pressed to call this camera terrible though, I've used much worse before. It does start to get washed out, blurry & grainy in lower lighting, but a flash is present to compensate for that.

The worst part about the hardware is probably the actual specifications, and I'd say this is probably the weakest point of the phone; the small amount of ram coupled with the single core CPU is capable enough for basic phone tasks and a little more, but not much else. The internal memory is laughably tiny. The only thing huge about it is how much of a joke & disappointment it is. You'll definitely require an SD card to use most of the phone's memory-specific features, such as taking and saving pictures for instance.

I may be somewhat critical of the device, but the way I see it, you get what you pay for, bottom line. I bought this new & unlocked off of Newegg.com for a mere $99, and I was well aware of pretty much all of the above, even caught by surprise by the phone for exeeding my somewhat lower expectations of it. Currently satisfied so far.

• 2014-08-17 03:18
  • Qch8

I have had the Samsung Galaxy Q T589R for less than a year. Loved the phone except that when a text or call came in, if you missed the ring it would not ring again!!! So I had to constantly check my phone to see if I had missed a text or call. Pain in the a$$!!! Lately the screen had been freezing up on me and today it totally froze. I could only navigate using my keypad. So I bought a new iPhone. Then began the ordeal of trying to get a program so I could download my contacts to my laptop, as the SIM card for my Samsung was not compatible with the iPhone. Spent hours trying to get it to work to no avail. The program recommended by Samsung would not work so I spent another couple hours MANUALLY inputing all my contacts. Thank God I could still navigate my Samsung using the keypad!!! So not impressed. This seems to be a common problem with this phone. I highly DO NOT RECOMMEND this phone at all. Hoping I will like my iPhone 5S longer!!!

• 2014-08-08 02:38
  • 46rV

This phone is okay, for minor users looking for a simple QWERTY-layout smartphone, but by downloading apps and loading it up, is where it hits the crapper, it starts to have performance issues with more apps, Facebook app is laggy and much more, only good for texting or doing calls, and BASIC usage, but medium-heavy usage, is bad for this phone, only 800MHz CPU, low RAM, I would recommend using avast! Mobile Security and ES Task Manager to make phone faster and free up some space, also the phone only has 150MB of app storage.

• 2014-07-30 23:32
  • j$1L

I really relied on my Galaxy, which I thought was a pretty well put-together smart phone (with it's great slide out keyboard). That was up until after 20 months of ownership when everything fell apart. The touch screen stopped working (which you can mostly get around by using the keyboard). Soon after the display started to fail (first the greens, then the yellows, now I'm just left with red). It's a bit of a disaster now, so at roughly 23 months, the phone is more-or-less unusable. Too bad, it was a good ride while it lasted; just another example of disposable electronics.

• 2014-07-17 08:02
  • 3W6$

> In reply to Csmee @ 2013-08-27 23:42 from q}6q - click to readhey i have the exact problems this phone is a piece of bullcrap and also did anyone have a problem where it did not charge?? well i have that and i dont know why its like that screw this phone DONT GET THIS PHONE!!!

• 2014-07-02 03:01
  • qLww

can the android system b changed ?????

• 2014-06-28 19:42
  • LBHP

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2014-01-03 22:48 from keBn - click to readjust bad luck i guess. Who knows where to get areplacement battery for this phone....thanks

• 2014-02-20 14:30
  • Y6sW

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2013-08-31 20:43 from sgjj - click to readMy wife and I both had these phones and both screens stopped working causing both phones to be unusable.
Very let down as they were not even a year old and we have to replace them at full price.
I can not recommend that phone for anyone.

• 2014-01-03 22:48
  • keBn

Don't blame the over charge, it is not true that charging it over the night kills the battery. It is lithium battery technology and it stops charging when its full, so it doesn't start a new cycle and a phone battery is good for 500-1000 recharging cycles, after this, change your battery and no, this battery doesn't last very long

• 2013-12-24 23:41
  • jnV7

I've had it since June of 2012, and it still works fine. But then again, storage is awful, the battery life is awful AND LIES TO YOU, it's freaking 2.2, meaning next to no apps are compatible with it, and the stupid thing is slower than a snail in a coma. Plus, it's so old it's basically impossible to find a decent looking case for it that's not pink or black. Also, the keyboard, one of my once favourite features, makes mistakes constantly. At least the phone is durable. Like, I've dropped it over 10 times and nothing more than some scratches on the back. One last thing, the camera can't take pictures to save its life.

• 2013-11-07 01:02
  • QwI%

If your sole purpose of owning a phone is to make occasional phone calls and send some texts, then this phone is a worthy contender.
However, if you plan to do anything else that a typical smartphone is capable of doing, then saying that this phone greatly disappoints would be a huge understatement.
The phone performs tasks at an excruciatingly painful slow speed that makes you want to smash it to pieces. Memory is extremely limited and running downloaded apps will often lead to crashes.
The on board storage capacity is an absolute joke (most phones nowadays have more RAM than this phone has storage), but luckily there is a micro-SD card slot.
On-screen typing is absolutely horrible. The keys are tiny because of the small screen, so it's likely that every word you try to type will have mistakes in it. It also doesn't help that the auto-correct feature is very incompetent. If you can't stand the on-screen keyboard, luckily, there's a physical one. This might appear to be useful at first until you realize that you cannot possibly type fast with this given the wide span of the keyboard and the unfriendly tactile feedback that it provides.
The battery life is absolutely horrible. No battery percentage is displayed until you reach under 15%. And this can be reached very quickly. One minute the indicator shows nearly full, and the next, you are alerted to plug in the charger. If you plan to use data and/or one of your downloaded apps for more than 5 minutes, then you need to bring a charger with you and hope that there is an outlet where you go.

If you have even read this far, then buy a different phone. Don't even bother with this one.

• 2013-11-06 19:31
  • FtMU
  • God bless the phone
  • Rating0

Internal memory - the worst issue, A smart phone that cannot download Facebook ? Don't buy this one

• 2013-11-01 01:54
  • NJ5m

phone has many issues and problems.
my first one only lasted 14 months.
it died, due to the screen froze,
i was s.o.l., cus only 12 mo. warranty.
the 2nd one died after 2 months, due to
kept going black, on me, i was told
it was the light proximity sensor.
i can not recommend this phone,
samsung galaxy Q sgh-t589R.

• 2013-10-27 04:40
  • q{Ia

i cant have apps that i want i want sanpchat its not compatible for my phone... what the hell is this. it also freezes on me and i cant leave and app it gets stuck on the app...

love,

a pissed of buyer

• 2013-10-25 00:44
  • IBSj

> In reply to Csmee @ 2013-08-27 23:42 from q}6q - click to readDid you did a way to fix that problem about the screen being stuck at th Samsung logo? PLZ reply!!!

• 2013-09-15 01:24
  • q}mR

> In reply to Csmee @ 2013-08-27 23:42 from q}6q - click to readDid you find a way to fix the problem about th screen getting stuck at the Samsung logo? Plz reply!!!

• 2013-09-15 00:47
  • q}mR

(1) Any phone do not use on battery over limit.(2)Do not play all the time with phone. Keep in mind.God bless you.

• 2013-09-08 12:19
  • q{jM

My daughters phone had the same problem with the screen. I found out that the sliding ribbon is broken and need to be replaced the part is just 7 dollars and if you open the phone you can replace it yourself

• 2013-09-08 02:39
  • qbaa
  • F

So i got this phone, and it was my first day at university. I turned on the gps to see which way to go, and the battery died within 30 minutes. It was fully charged before i used the gps. This phone is a piece of crap. DO NOT BUY.

• 2013-09-04 00:40
  • 4xhB

DO NOT GET THIS PHONE i had it for less than 6 months and the touch screen stopped working for no apparent reason, the battery dies within an hour after hours of charge. and the camera is not very good either. many of the pictures come out like it was done in minecraft. finally you can not get numerous applications because the screen size is too small and is not compatible. So DO NOT GET THIS PHONE

• 2013-08-31 20:43
  • sgjj
Total of 248 user reviews and opinions for Samsung Galaxy Q T589R.