Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket i727 - user opinions and reviews

Samsung

7.2
7.3
7.3

As I had encountered problem when I used Samsung Kies so when i knew that there was a new version (Version 2.1.0.11095...) I downloaded and installed its. However the new Samsung Kies cannot be used as well - it stopped working always.
Samsung, please do not treat your customers this way resulting in substantial wastage of time and expenese (we pay for download time) !

• 2011-11-13 07:10
  • t04y
  • F

> In reply to JP Vasquez @ 2011-11-12 03:37 from LCxu - click to readI actually made the change from a Galaxy S II to this phone and so far it has been a very pleasant experience. The battery may not last as long as the Galaxy S II, but the rest of the features are pretty similar. I live in Phoenix and we don't have LTE, but I have experience incredible speeds with this phone that I never got with the Galaxy S II. I have had readings past 12 MBPS here. Can't wait for the LTE service to be enabled in Phoenix.

• 2011-11-13 06:29
  • 4Iaf

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-11-09 14:03 from YPb1 - click to readOMFG, get some common sense people.

"significantly larger battery(1850 mAh > 1650 mAh)"
- You can get a HTC 1900mah for about $10

"better 2nd camera(2 MP > 1.3MP)"
- Everyone knows that MP doesn't mean anything when it comes to picture quality. Especially when you are talking about the front camera which is used mainly for video calls only.

"Faster 3G(HSDPA, 21 Mbps > 14.4 Mpbs)"
- The HTC Vivid is also HSDPA 21Mbps, get your facts straight. In fact, it covers both 700 and 1700 LTE bands, while the SkyRocket only has the 700. That's why the Vivid gets a faster LTE connection in real world tests.

"superior display(SA+ > S-LCD, S-LCD is manufactured by Samsung&Sony)"
- Everyone knows that modern S-LCD is every bit just as good as AMOLED. You may be talking about 2 year old S-LCD back then when AMOLED dominated. Besides, at least S-LCD does not suffer from direct-sunlight viewing unlike AMOLED screens.

"much lighter(130.5 g > 176.9 g)"
- Of course the Skyrocket is lighter. It's cheaply made of all plastic. Feels cheap in your hand. I rather have a solid-built feel when I hold my $600 phone in my hand.

"much thinner(9.5 mm > 11.2 mm)"
- Okay, the thickness is personal preference and I admit, the thinner the better. If the Vivid can be thinner, it would be a plus. But it sure isn't a minus because 2mm is really not that big of a deal.

I don't see why anyone would choose a Samsung over an HTC because in the end of the day, it's the software that really matters. TouchWiz is crippled as a phone, unless you are just carrying a portable iTouch-like device in your pocket. Samsung is known to be good at copying Apple anyway. From a distance, you could mistaken TouchWiz for iOS. For once, I like to see they create something original. At least HTC Sense is "original".

• 2011-11-13 06:08
  • 0fZD

> In reply to JP Vasquez @ 2011-11-12 03:37 from LCxu - click to readObviously go for Skyrocket. It has 1.5 Ghz processor over 1.0 Ghz processor that S|| has right now.

• 2011-11-13 05:45
  • t}sw

samsung galaxy s2. the best of all smart phones

• 2011-11-13 02:45
  • gKAq

> In reply to eddie @ 2011-11-12 16:25 from YiSv - click to readsignificantly larger battery(1850 mAh > 1650 mAh)
better 2nd camera(2 MP > 1.3MP)
Faster 3G(HSDPA, 21 Mbps > 14.4 Mpbs)
superior display(SA+ > S-LCD, S-LCD is manufactured by Samsung&Sony)
much lighter(130.5 g > 176.9 g)
much thinner(9.5 mm > 11.2 mm)
More direct, simple and faster UI(Touchwiz)

vivid is no match to skyrocket.
from my personal experience, skyrocket is smoother.

• 2011-11-13 01:19
  • YPb1

Personally I would go with the original S2. The only upside of having a skyrocket is LTE speeds and the extra .2" (which I think is too big). In the original S2, you have the 1.2GHz exynos chip which blows the 1.5 Ghz crapdragon chip out of the water. The GPU is also far superior in the original S2 than the skyrocket. Personally, I would get the overall better phone that'll run smoother than going for unnecessary high download speeds.

• 2011-11-12 18:03
  • 4A%V

> In reply to JP Vasquez @ 2011-11-12 03:37 from LCxu - click to readNiether, get the HTC VIVID!

I have been with apple up until this past month. So I am not a fan boy. I wanted to try android for the first time so I bought the S2 and I enjoyed it but found out that AT&T was releasing 2 LTE phones so I used buyers remorse. Since I tried the S2, and new how SAMSUNGS TOUCH WIZARD interface worked I figured I would try the HTC VIVID. I was used to SAMSUNGS TOUCH WIZARD for about 3 weeks and switching to HTC SENSE took a little getting used to but I found I was enjoying SENSE more trough the week. A few days ago I bought the SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 SKYROCKET to try it next to the HTC VIVID to get a side by side comparison and really find out which one I would prefer. I Thought for sure It was going to be a no brainer and I was going to stick witch the SKYROCKET. The HTC VIVID hands down is a far superior phone. I live in Las Vegas and I am picking up LTE signals and the antenna on the HTC picks it up and uses it at my house which is usually a bad spot for att and my download/upload speeds are amazing. The SKYROCKET picks it up but doesn't keep it and will slow down or force close the browser because its confused. One would think on spec comparisons the SKYROCKET would do much better but I proved to myself that HTC is the clear winner.

HTC VIVID does better:

screen quality, user interface, camera, antenna, just about everything. The only thing thats better on the SKYROCKET is the speaker loudness when playing music, battery life but not by much and its lighter.

I Hope you find this helpful. I am not a fan boy and I am very new to android so my opinions come from a neutral stand point. I will be glad to answer any other questions on either phone as I am still using both but I will be taking back the SKYROCKET soon and locking up the VIVID to a 2 year contract.

• 2011-11-12 16:25
  • YiSv

I'm having troubles on deciding wich phone to buy, Im in between the Galaxy SII and the SII Skyrocket, Wich one would you recomend? The Skyrocket has wifi thetering? And final question, whats in the box of the Skyrocket? Please give me some advices. Thanks

• 2011-11-12 03:37
  • LCxu

> In reply to Abhimanue Ashok @ 2011-11-11 07:41 from utkp - click to readNot that I know of yet

• 2011-11-12 00:38
  • YiSv

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-11-10 21:45 from fvUJ - click to read1850mAh is small to u?

face it, the battery is bigger than vivid(1650mAh) and LTE Razr(1780mAh) as well :)

and sammy has the best power manager among them, no one will can't compete to Skyrocket in terms of battery life :)

• 2011-11-11 10:47
  • YPb1

> In reply to eddie @ 2011-11-09 09:36 from Ydyj - click to readis there any quad core processor from samsung?

• 2011-11-11 07:41
  • utkp

its battrey is very shot life and no tv out in it

• 2011-11-10 21:45
  • fvUJ

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-11-09 09:09 from 0fZD - click to readpro for skyrocket over vivid is only a better processor? that's just a start!

significantly larger battery(1850 mAh > 1650 mAh)

better 2nd camera(2 MP > 1.3MP)

Faster 3G(HSDPA, 21 Mbps > 14.4 Mpbs)

superior display(SA+ > S-LCD, S-LCD is manufactured by Samsung&Sony)

much lighter(130.5 g > 176.9 g)

much thinner(9.5 mm > 11.2 mm)

I don't see why should i choose vivid over skyrocket except your are an masochist loves to carry bricks in their pocket.

• 2011-11-09 14:03
  • YPb1

HTC VIVID is very equal to the S2 except for battery! The battery life for the vivid is horrible! I've used both of them so I no for sure! Which makes me lean towards the Samsung! I am gonna buy the skyrocket and use it next to the vivid and if battery life is better then I will switch to the skyrocket! I do like HTC'S INTER face as well as Samsung's! It took me a while to get use to sense while touch wizard was very easy to use! The only reason I returned the S2 was because of the vivid and skyrocket upgrades!

• 2011-11-09 09:36
  • Ydyj

In fact, this phone has the old school WVGA 800x480 resolution, while the HTC Vivid has the qHD 960x540, no comparison there either. The only thing that this phone wins over the Vivid is the processor speed, but that means virtually nothing when it comes to Android.

• 2011-11-09 09:09
  • 0fZD

Where in the world do you get "bigger screen" and LTE ready when comparing this to the HTC Vivid? They are the same. Learn to read. 1.5GHz? The 1.2GHz on Vivid can easily be overclocked to 1.5 and CPU is not what makes your phone experience good and fast. It's software.

• 2011-11-09 09:06
  • 0fZD

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-11-08 19:45 from N5sJ - click to readWhat are you sure this rule over? Please check the Benchmark result of the Droid Razr and the Galaxy S2 and judge: Droid Razr win completly.

• 2011-11-09 07:13
  • fj1x

> In reply to don_bomber @ 2011-11-08 19:24 from UDPr - click to readand that's why u are here, because you want to have a look at Skyrocket which is the sexiest 4G phone and you know that is ture :)

• 2011-11-09 02:12
  • YPb1

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-11-07 15:03 from U@kJ - click to readBigger screen, faster processor, LTE ready.
This rules over vivid 10 times over!!!

• 2011-11-08 19:45
  • N5sJ
Total of 352 user reviews and opinions for Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket i727.