Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 preview: First look
Last yearís IFA is where the tale of Samsung and tablets started and now the company is ready to open a new chapter and itís one we couldnít be more excited about. The SuperAMOLED screens were one of the best things to ever happen to the smartphone industry and now they have landed on slates as well. Meet the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7.
As its name suggests, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 has 7.7-inches of SuperAMOLED Plus gorgeousness. The tablet is a living proof that the mobile industry has been progressing at an amazingly rapid rate. A single year is all it took for Samsung to more than double the processing power and get a vastly superior display technology on board, while at the same time reducing the thickness by a third.Just check out the compelling specs sheet that the Galaxy Tab 7.7 has:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 at a glance
- Form factor: Tablet
- Dimension: 196.7x 133 x 7.89 mm
- Weight: 335g
- Display: 16M colors 7.7Ē Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen of WXGA resolution (1280 x 800 pixels)
- OS: Android 3.2 Honeycomb, TouchWiz UI
- Chipset: 1.4 GHz dual-core Cortex-A9 CPU, Mali-400MP GPU, 1GB of RAM, Exynos chipset
- Camera: 3.2 MP autofocus camera with 720p video recording; LED flash; 2 MP front-facing camera
- Memory: 16/32/64 GB internal memory, expandable through a microSD card slot
- Connectivity: quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE and quad-band (850/900/1900/2100 MHz) UMTS with 21 Mbps HSDPA and HSUPA 5.76 Mbps support, dual-band Wi-Fi a/b/g/n, Assisted GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, 30-pin connector
- Battery: 5,100mAh (Up to 10 hours of video playback)
- Misc: Gyro sensor, accelerometer sensor for automatic UI rotation, ambient light sensor, Adobe Flash Player 10.3 support, DivX/XviD support, TV-out (through an adapter)
So not only are we getting a Super AMOLED Plus instead of a regular LCD, we are also treated to a larger screen and higher resolution in a body that hasnít growtn noticeably. Plus, thereís the latest version of the tablet-friendly Android on board, instead of Gingerbread and the oversized-phone experience that it provides.
All this really shows that Samsung is a quick learner. In the increasingly crowded tablet market you canít achieve great things by being as good as the rest Ė you need to stand out. And what could possibly stand out more than a combination of the most powerful mobile chipset, an impressive screen, an ultra-slim waistline and a thin bezel?
Luckily, we were able to get a pre-production Galaxy Tab 7.7 and we went for a short hands-on preview to get you started. By now you should have felt how enthusiastic we feel about the Galaxy Tab 7.7, so we better not waste any more time. The hardware inspection comes after the break.
Reviews > Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 preview: First look