Samsung i550 - user opinions and reviews

Samsung

7.5
7.6
7.6

Hi guys. I know have had this phone for 1 month and i absolutely love it!! In the past year and a half i have had nokia n73 , nokia n95, samsung u700, nokia n82. This is by far my most favourute phone. Awesome design and ergonomics great features. The n95 was a brick, the n82 nice phone really liked but i hated the design. Simply hated the u700 touch sensitive keys, but the mp3 player was brilliant. To me this is the perfect phone for my needs. Stability issues, the phone only restarted on me 3 times in the month that i had it and thats because i was running too many applications in one time. I use a 6 gig memory card which works fine .Awesome smart phone.

• 2008-04-03 02:55
  • RNNw

Is anyone knows how do I turn off the STUPID CONFIRMATION message "Change audio routing to loudspeaker?" after I enable the LOUDSPEAKER option for incoming call?

Tq.

• 2008-04-02 04:34
  • 25KQ

I bought the wireless version SGH-I550W. I have installed Garmin Mobile XT and it works very well. If there is a negative it is that the trackball does not allow fast browsing of the maps but everything else is first class. The phone searches and finds the Internal GPS (after one has activated this in the Garmin software). The screen is bright and clear. I have owned a number of s60 phones - the last was the Nokia E65 which had a mind of its own at times. The I550W is far more stable and in ten hours of running through programmes and settings it has behaved very well. It would be great if Samsung (or Garmin) could allow the number keys of say 2,4,6,8 to be used to browse the map in the absence of the trackball moving at speed. I bought this phone as my important requirements were GPS and WiFi and there are not many phones which fit this category. The price is very good for the features it offers. In Garmin mode the settings allow for Car/Motorcycle, others and Pedestrian so one can pick the mode one wants and use that. I tried all types and it never missed a beat. Most of the other features are very similar to the Nokia setup which is adequte for me. The software bundled with the phone on CD was easy to install and quickly Sync'd all my calendar, notes and contacts with MS Outlook. All in all a very good phone for the price.

• 2008-03-31 09:23
  • TSAP

is battery life really bad?
rock-mobile.com/detail/329/Samsung_SGH_i550/

it says only 150h standby?!

• 2008-03-31 04:42
  • kWxw

Finally, I've managed to bought this phone after painstaking experience.. :( - SAMSUNG i550w (with WiFi)

I am from Malaysia and I've bought this phone somewhere in Kuala Lumpur with the price of RM1550 (with 4GB memory card).

Trust me, after 2 days using it.. I have no restart problem at all!!

The only one major frustation for me of having this phone is it's screen clarity!! I am so excited about its big screen but only to find out that the resolution is a mediocre, >:<

I am based on the display on my k800i. For the same picture, it is so obvious that i550w lacks of clarity, sharpness, contrast and very less saturated.

Anyway, I think for those who did not compare.. the screen display is just nice. You won't find it's bad unless you compare it with k800i.

That's all for now.

Thank you.

• 2008-03-31 03:13
  • 25KQ

The garmin software did not work o this phone due to software seurity complications. The restarting problems are frequnt on this phone. The signal s very weak compared to sony ericsson or nkia phones. GPS signa and battery standby time is also weak, I had mentoned all this 8 weeks ago but my comments were removed, plus there are some users who are trying to convince the others that this phone is cost effective and practical, i think otherwise.

• 2008-03-30 18:59
  • mwRK

dear darren and all i550 users,

i checked garmin and mapking about the gps software which could work with my i550w but with all the dozens of lists im confused which of these will work. navigon is too expensive 129 pounds!
Is there an option of inserting a contact no. while making an sms?
Next is that im getting a problem with messaging. my sms's are nearly 200 and im getting a phone advisory which says like i need to delete. i did but unless i restart i cant reply or make an sms. other than that, i dont experience the frequent restarting of this phone like other i550 owners. Please help!!!

• 2008-03-30 17:57
  • wYye

Hi all i550 user^^
I hav brought it few weeks ago.
Did u guys try be4 its gps function?
I press it Navigator button near the music key.
First, it start with searching GPS then follow by calculateing... but it didnt show my coordination.
and jus write no destination...
even if i wait for almost 15min -_-
How to solve this problem or i need to do any activation for this i550 gps?
thanks for all kindly help.

• 2008-03-28 08:16
  • ib6k

Yeah, GSMArena, please review this phone. I already emailed you guys about this. I am really thinking about making this my first S60 device but I need reviews.

Only one review so far, and that's from www.smape.com but it's of the non-WiFi version, shouldn't be too different but the review was good.

• 2008-03-28 07:04
  • kaJV

Yeah I agree.

It's been such a very long time.

This phone should already had a full review here in gsmarena.

Tq.

• 2008-03-27 10:13
  • 25KQ

when will gsmarena going to have a review on this one?

• 2008-03-26 15:43
  • 2AmU

Whoa... Could it be the phone is so perfect till no one is able to list down the advantages?

Ehehe..

• 2008-03-26 09:16
  • 25KQ

Dear Darren & all Samsung I550 owner..

Can you all please list down all the disadvantages of this phone.

Thank you very much.

• 2008-03-24 14:24
  • ibhr

How to use the gps feature?

• 2008-03-23 11:31
  • m8Ty

Thanks Darren

I pretty much know NAVFON is not free but I would like to try out the free trial that I have before I decide to buy it. By the way, the link you gave didnt work when try it. I'll try it again later. Thanks

• 2008-03-17 13:29
  • TKba

guys i confirm u all my i550 phone restarts alot its even restart in the middle of calls :S im sure of what im saying, it sometimes restarts for more than once like 2 or 3 times :( i really hate it and hate all samsung mobile phone now, plus the signal is very bad , i cant use untill now the WIFI i dont know why . I bought this phone from Kuwait and im using it in Egypt. i will resend it to Kuwait and take my money back . i will buy a SE phone for sure now

• 2008-03-16 13:29
  • iEu{

get navfone and maps for malaysia here, http://westwoon.sytes.net/Gall.../Yin%20Cheng's%­20Files/

• 2008-03-16 03:56
  • ibfj

Tomi: therefore it is working , if you're driving , put the phone under the wind screen, detection of gps satelite sometime takes up to 5 minutes or more. my smartmovie not lagging . just the audio preroll time need to be calibrated.
-------------------------------------------
Mie: you can see some pictures i taken from samsung i550w at unnamed.aminus3.com .March archive.
-------------------------------------------
DC: booh, finally someone with the same review with me.
-------------------------------------------
TheJackal: lol, seriously , try threaten samsung and make them pay u some $$$ to keep things down.
-------------------------------------------
Kean & rovine: yay , clap* clap* wink* , navfone is not free guys, u need to purchase it to unlock . erm , ok , i will upload it on a file hosting website soon . they are many other navigation software out there, like nokiamaps, mapking , garmin. no neccesary to stick to navfone , It wasnt that perfect software i used . ok cheers.

• 2008-03-16 03:47
  • ibfj

deat darren:
i had got the method how to use GPS by yours words.but my phone even in my card have no "NAVfone".and i cannot found it for download,can you send it to me ? my mail: malei0125@sina.com . thanks a lot!

• 2008-03-15 19:54
  • iXwM

Hi Darren,

thanks for the advice. I can get the satellite signal already. Its just that I don't have the NAVFON software installed. Do you think you could send it over to me? My email address is iawnaek@yahoo.com

Thanks
Kean

• 2008-03-15 06:11
  • TC$G
Total of 1133 user reviews and opinions for Samsung i550.