It is a GOOD news for North American. Samsung will release this phone in October that will be compatible with the 3G network in Canada and US. The model is named Samsung GT-i8000L Omnia II. Here is the link to the side
Andrew Tan, 28 Jul 2009My small review of it: :-) Design: - This is one of the reason I buy it, the menu crystal ... moreI like your review piece. Good job - short and sweet (not wasting time describing what is already apparent from the specs). Please post more as you spend more time using the phone's various functions.
Andrew Tan, 28 Jul 2009My small review of it: :-) Design: - This is one of the reason I buy it, the menu crystal ... moreya agreed on the No landscape mode for Office apps, that why i am holding out!!
samsung II is only 270usd!!!
Can this phone sync with email sub-folders? Thank you for any help to answer this query.
My small review of it: :-)
- This is one of the reason I buy it, the menu crystal button is damn beauty. (All button is customize to whatever you like)
- The device is extremely slim, only 11.9mm for such 3.7inch screen size.
- 2nd reason I buy this, ya they still got certain place not enough smooth. (I believe future firmware will solve it.)
- Overall is speedy, the most speedy WinMo phone I ever try.
- WOW! Nearly 90% customize. (and it still let you return back to old boring, ugly design of WinMo)
- The most beauty Photo Viewer and Music/Video player ever done by Samsung.
- The contact scrolling is damn cool like iPhone / iPod Touch
- It is only 5Mega but the quality still really great. At least it still far far better than LG Crystal and Viewty Smart 8Mega (Off course my ultra touch 8Mega is better)
- Extremely WOW! For WinMo, WinMo limited to 65k color but Samsung mention this unit run 16M color and it really look like 16M
- AMOLED is stunning! LCD is ugly for me now, I already feel my iPod touch screen ugly already.
- A lot people complain this as it is not as fast as original ugly WinMo, actually it is ok, it slow for 1st opening, after that it will be ok.
- 256 RAM, 512 ROM, 8GB Internal Storage + up to 32GB MicroSD! Wow! (Official only came with 1GB MicrsoSD)
- 800Mhz Processor with Hardware acceleration. Another WOW! Effect.
- Upgradable to WinMO 6.5 for free. 3rd WOW!
- below left corner and center difficult to press, after a play I just notice seems like Samsung count the location not correctly where you need to press more lower to do it. (This is happen to my Ultra Touch also, but the new firmware already fix it)
- some selection still tinny, but this issue will be fix once WinMO 6.5 is out.
- No Chinese input (need find third party program, still no time to search) but capable to view.
- No normal phone keypad. (need find) I not really get use to QWERTY pad.
- No Landscape mode for Office Application. (This is kinda stupid)
What is the internal memory of Omnia II available for 745sgd in Singapore ??Is it the 2gb model or 8gb??
When can we see the complete review for this phone in GSMARENA???
To those with this phone - can the email program sync up with sub-folders without requiring any add-ons?
Ewen, 27 Jul 2009Not sure why the specs say this phone is released - it's definitely not released any where und... moreIt will be released some time next year in the UK, or very late this year. UK are renowned for being the last to get phones released under contract.
John, 27 Jul 2009I do owen both phone but can you tell me what Omnia do that Iphone no do and on the other hand... moreIphone cannot run more than one application at a time - most phones can. This is the main difference and can be annoying if you are in the middle of something and you want to text or email or phone at the same time as having something else open - you have to completely close the app down and restart it again later. The Iphone has one of the best capacitive touch screen interfaces which no other phone has really been able to match yet. Syncing with MS Exchange requires add-ons as far as believe with the Iphone and 3G reception appears to be an issue on the new ŁG and 3GS, plus AT&T in the US have been criticised for limiting tethering on the iphone.
Anonymous, 27 Jul 2009yeah, iphone so smooth because it is doing one task at a time.. LOL!
sorry, but iphone is n... moreI do owen both phone but can you tell me what Omnia do that Iphone no do and on the other hand what Iphone do that Omnia can not do?
What does Smart Phone do that Iphone can not do?
Iphone has also Quick Office that can do Editing.
For me I love Both phone and they are different.
Anonymous, 27 Jul 2009I own the HTC Touch HD and more recently this i8000. The i8000 rocks!! Compared with the T... moreIs the digital compass really working now on your Omnia 2 and how you figure that out? if so you can show me a link with private email. I know winmo is the best open OS platform to be customized but it is JUST darn a bit slower than Android or iphone OS but wth, 1 sec slower is nothing once the useful apps get going, beat that iphone!
John, 27 Jul 2009Ohh it was really something that i wanted to ask...You can use SPB Pocket Plus and get rid of ... moreTouchwiz is just another application that runs on WinMo 6.1. So it can be turned off. Just like HTC's TouchFlo 3D.
I didn't like Omnia's TouchWiz because not highly customizable.
With SPB PocketPlus I can create launch buttons for documents as well as applications.
I also run WkTask, a freeware application that displays on top of the screen icons of launched applications running in the background. By clicking on the icons, you can switch between applications like in "Windows". I can switch from Word to Excel to Opera, etc, fast - with all these programs running concurrently.
This is where iPhone loses.
It can't multi-task like Windows Mobile.
Anonymous, 27 Jul 2009I own the HTC Touch HD and more recently this i8000. The i8000 rocks!! Compared with the T... moreOhh it was really something that i wanted to ask...You can use SPB Pocket Plus and get rid of the toudchwiz 2.0?? Can you make the menus seem as the old school WM and not as Samsung has changed it? This is the power of habit...I can't get used to other than my customized today screen!
I own the HTC Touch HD and more recently this i8000.
The i8000 rocks!!
Compared with the Touch HD, this is lighter & faster with a brilliant screen, better video recording quality at 720x480 30fps with TV-out capability. Really bright double LED flash - can use as an expensive torch.
There's a built-in digital compass (not obvious but can be invoked with engineering codes)
More efficient use of ram - I've more ram remaining running applications than the Touch HD.
Longer battery usage, probably AMOLED is energy saving.
TaskSwitcher is great.
Don't like the Cube thing though.
Look, it's not perfect, but definitely improved.
Probably the best WinMo phone currently.
If you don't like the stock applications, change it!
WiMo phones are customizable with many 3rd party applications.
I don't use the TouchWiz and the widgets.
I installed SPB PocketPlus instead.
Using SMS-Chat by Vito for threaded sms & TouchPal for the best finger keyboard.