Is there any way of enhancing the touch wiz interface to make it in par with the touchflo3D and does tomtom mobile work well with this phone? also does the WQVGA really compromise the screen quality when compared to the htc diamond, can this be fixed by software or is this hardware limitation?
theefman, 11 Aug 2008The major problem you have with the phone is that the interface is boring??!! Is that why you ... moreno, what i said that was ONE, of the major problems, my main problem is the QVGA resolution screen which can get very pixalated at times, its not as crisp and clear as i want it to be and the interface is very similar to the other samsung phones which is why i commented on it being very boring as i wanted to see something new with this phone, like i said, its a pure windows mobile device and really for windows mobile fanboy
Plus is it the fault of the phone that applications dont work? 400x240 is a legitimate WM device resolution not something cooked up by Samsung as seen here:
Any developer should be able to make his app compatible with the Omnia even if it is not compatible right now, blaming the Omnia blindly does not tell the full story.
Anonymous, 11 Aug 2008the major problem with this phone is its interface, its just sooo boring! screen resolution an... moreThe major problem you have with the phone is that the interface is boring??!! Is that why you would spend money on such a device, to get an exciting interface? And how many applications are incompatible, did you try them yourself or just going by the word of those bashing the phone? This is getting ridiculous, these anon posters who have either not used the phone or have no clue what to do with it. Have a look at the list of software so far tested to work with no problems:
- SPB Time
- SPB Pocket Plus
- SPB Mobile Shell
- SPB Diary
- SPB Phone Suite (No vibration for missed call and unread sms even if you set)
- Spb Backup 2.0
- PhoneAlarm (Profile Switching will remove vibration settings, in the end no vibrations at all except for incoming call)
- Olivetree Bible
- ZTA4 QVGA version
- Zenyee SIP Select
- DinarSoft Memmaid
- The Core Pocket Media Player (Recompile Version)
- AgendaOne version 2
- Resco File Explorer 2008
- PhatNotes 5.3 Build 5.604.0605
- ListPro 22.214.171.1246
- Pocket Informant 8.1
- Inesoft Cash Organizer 8.0.6
- Mapking 2007 (Needs port splitter) - GPS tested and working - Slight titlebar redraw problem, but no big issue. Will redraw properly when u go into another different screen.
- Mapking R12 (Needs port splitter) - GPS tested and working - Results same like Mapking 2007.
- Ultimate Launch
- SKTool 126.96.36.199
- Photo Contacts Pro 5.08 (With slight screen redraw problem at the bottom but screen items still accesible).
- Chrono 3.8.5
- PocketBreeze 5.4.1 (with all the extra spaces, the Pinned Calendar suddenly becomes such a useful feature).
- TranCreative Wordbook (Dictionary) (Cannot use Samsung Phonepad xT9 for word input)
- No Data from Modaco (To enable/disable GPRS)
- CapSure QVGA v1.10 (To do screen capture)
- Laridian Bible
- Mighty Minds Pocket Street Directory
- Adobe Reader LE version 2.5
- Concise Oxford English Dictionary. 11th Edition with Deluxe English sound module
- Garmin XT
- SBSH Phoneweaver 1.22
- JAL Port Splitter Ver 1.11 (For Mapking 2007 and R12)
- Coreplayer Version 1.2.5
- TouchPal v3.5 for WM6.1
- My Mobiler Version 1.23 Build 32 (Can Control Omnia screen from Desktop via Activesync) - To type using your desktop, Input needs to set to Keyboard. Setting to Samsung Keyboard will not work. I did not try other input method.
- PocketToolMan 2 Version 2.26 Build 36 (It works but I did not test all the applications inside. Please use it with care as some settings involve OS Tweaking)
- BatteryStatusExt1.05 Build 0321 (Does not show CPU)
- Throttlelauncher 0.9.2 Beta (Work with BatteryStatus)
- TomTom v7.45 (it runs with my external GPS)
- wkTask 1.173 - great as a task switcher/x-kill etc
- illium Software PowerTap PKT to switch of screen (instead of power button)
- DeveloperOne CodeWallet 6.62
- BeeLineGPS v188.8.131.52
- Skype for WM6.1 (http://rapidshare.com/files/13...6.1beta.CAB)
- Emils Andersson Pocket Sudoku
- Mike Johnson Japanese SIP
- Mike Johnson Dictionary (MJDict)
- Octopus Software Mdict
- ifontz 0.99
- S2P 0.4 ( works very well with S2U2 )
- Pocketweather 2.0.8
Thanks for playing though.
the major problem with this phone is its interface, its just sooo boring! screen resolution and the fact that so many applications are incompatible with this phone because of the weird screen resolution and they are major issues amongst other things, i was thinking about going for this phone for a very long time but then i heard about all these problems so ive decided to go with the HTC Diamond, it may have a smaller screen and a worser camera but the screen is VGA which gives a crisp interface while the QVGA Looks very pixelated and the camera is okay for everyday use, plus the lag issue has been solved and all round, its a much better phone, this phone is a pure windows mobile experience and is a plus for the windows mobile phone, otherwise i wouldnt recommend ...
Anonymous, 01 Jan 1970i hope this website answers you question
its the only uk based shop i've found
Zingaporean, 11 Aug 2008I was reading your comments when it comes to your Ominia. Bad Luck to you. I've bought mine a ... moreSamsung will sell hundreds of thousands Omnia's. So yes now and then one (or two, or three) will fail. Just as it is with cars, TV's, etc.
The Omnia is not for nothing called "the iphone killer". Even so in the review here on GSMArena the Omnia came out as very good "- the HTC Touch Diamond and the iPhone 3G - seem to offer more in some respects but severely fall behind in others." This means that the touch diamond and iphone are no bad phones, but the same hold also for the Samsung Omnia i900. More precise, when you read good the Omnia comes out as best!
Can I say how helpful all this lively discussion is.
I am a trusting person and have been deeply influenced by all the negative points made about this iPhone beater.
Although I have had the phone for a couple of weeks (from Italy)and have, AS YET experienced none of the problems other wiser reviewers on here have cleverly discovered, I feel I need to get rid of it because I want to fit in with what is going on and what other people think.
Personaly, the phone has been very good and the camera is really nice BUT if what you say is right then I have made a big error. Thank you for saving me.
I will just give the phone to my mum or sister I suppose and get something everybody likes like a Nokia or iPhone 3G. They are dead popular aren't they.
Your help makes a difference.
Which is the better processor? Qualcomm or Marvell?
The "Htc Touch Pro" has more memory ROM and RAM.......Does it really metters?
style, 11 Aug 2008to theefman: are u telling me that ur omnia does not save photos in ram and that u can take hu... morestyle, the Omnia can save photo's where you choose and by default is set to save to My Storage. As for taking hundreds of photos, I dont but have managed to take pictures successfully. However there IS a bug in the camera application which leads to a memory error occasionally and I have experienced that. I am not arguing that point and that is clearly up to Samsung to address.
However my usage of the Omnia goes beyond taking pictures so I am not judging it by its ability or otherwise to take pictures. The G4 firmware which was recently released has a few other bugs but above that I dont have any problems with the device and my installed programs include MS Voice Command, MS Remote Display Control, Live Search, Weather Watcher, psShutXP, SKTools, Adobe Flash player and Today Agenda. I also use the internet (PIE and Opera) and email extensively and my experience has been that this is the most stable WM phone I have used. My free RAM (as opposed to Storage) is normally around 57MB with no apps runniig and I have never had a problem running multiple apps due to lack of RAM.
Make of this what u will but your post sounds like someone who has an axe to grind rather than someone with a legitimate issue. And thanks for your concern, but I am not worried at all about any problems as the phone works just fine for me.
It is coming out on 02, just got off the phone to them because i want to upgrade to them and they said they should receive it at the end of august. It looks amazing
800 usd here cambodia 16gb. Very expensive. After it drop to 400 usd i will buy.
Anonymous, 01 Jan 1970Sorry the guy that placed that post i found didnt say when his upgrade was due, iv see people saying 11th for orange but i think thats unlikely since its not actually on their website yet, im hoping itll be before the end of the month but i have no idea as yet, voda are still sticking ti thier date of the 24th but no news yet if they are doing the 16gb or just the 8gb
guys please can you help me out? do you guys know how to change the language on the phone? cause i brought mine in portugal and i want it in english please help me asap please
ljay, 11 Aug 2008i was supposed to say that issue with this phone..i bought this phone cause i thought its gonn... moreJust like the other poster said, YOU ARE NOT STUCK WITH SAMSUNGS UI / PROGRAMS.
I dont like the touch player either so i just downloaded the program called "FlipSide" which is ten times better with higher resolution artwork.
There are tons of programs out there for windows mobile. Take advantage of that.
stlyle, 10 Aug 2008to anonymous: where did u get ur iphone theme? when u intall spb shell do ur contacts and thei... moreThe iphone theme i use is called ifonz. I believe its free. There are ways to get spb mobile shell for free(cough cough bittorent) if you want.
If you change the UI to spb mobile shell the phone is easy to use in the sunlight. I have no problems. If you dont like Samsungs UI, youre not stuck with it you can change it. :)
So, the videocall camera is only for video call? Can it be used to take photos?