Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4 - user opinions and reviews

Samsung

I got this phone brand new and couldn't make it working because of the "Region lock" invention of Samsung. I am abroad and I am using a roaming Sim card. Totally disappointed, i will return it and get a Sony Z2.

• 2014-06-14 20:58
  • nt6G

> In reply to GOPAL KEDIA @ 2014-06-14 11:06 from t1$C - click to readCheer up buddy. 99% of people don't know this. I just tried to inform you and I never said you are misleading people.

Another thing. These battery saving apps are crap. Useless. The only good battery saver is you. Turn on the power saving mode in the phone and optimize the device you'll see amazing results.

For example see my amazing endurance from the last charge. I optimised the display and settings to suit my needs and achieved amazing result.

Time on battery = 1 day 20 hour and 36 seconds.
screen 55% usage
On screen time= 6 hr 36 min 20 sec.

This is a proper discharge from 100% to 0% with misc use of 1 hour on 3G, 1.5 hour on e-book reading, 2 hour games, around 30 min video and rest for music and timepass.

You can achieve this kind of endurance by proper optimization.

Have a nice day.

• 2014-06-14 18:00
  • YQrM

> In reply to manu11 @ 2014-06-14 11:59 from U{d% - click to readIf you are for light usage and optimise the device, you can get even 3-4 days of battery life.

Even for ultra heavy use, it will last one day at least with 3G, GPS on.

And it has removable battery so you can keep a spare battery if you want double battery life.

Have a nice day

• 2014-06-14 17:51
  • YQrM

how many hours battery spend after fully charge ??? only light usage like net off gps off and only 2g network for FEW calls ... i just scared about battery life n i want to buy black edition can i go for it ??? PLZ REPLYYY THANKS>>>>>

• 2014-06-14 11:59
  • U{d%

> In reply to darkgamer @ 2014-06-13 18:30 from YQrM - click to readI had no intention to mislead any-one..
I wrote what I saw, but now it is clear...
The time I was saying is on battery not on-screen (my fault, not known)... now I checked my on screen time as you told.. it is only 2 hr 10 min and now battery is 50 percent... so it can be said the on screen time on full battery consumption will be 4 hrs near...
Sorry subham but I thought you are saying about the time showing just after clicking on battery in settings. I dont knew that on-screen time can be checked after clicking on screen option under battery.

• 2014-06-14 11:06
  • t1$C

For the folks with battery issues. If your S4 suddenly heats up and the battery is discharging quickly, it's probably some application's fault. In my case, facebook messenger started being crazy on background, while on data conectivity, battery saving mode on and the screen off. After killing the app, the device cooled down, and the battery kept the charge. This happens a few times after I uninstalled the app.

• 2014-06-13 22:03
  • P2dc

HOW to transfer family photoes from s4 to nexus 7 2013 via wifi direct please ? s4 n nexus 7 seem to connect via wifi direct -no transfr -

• 2014-06-13 20:06
  • gA9r

> In reply to GOPAL KEDIA @ 2014-06-13 16:09 from t1$D - click to readSee using an s4 for 8 hours doesn't mean 8 hours on-screen time. Currently, my s4 is unplugged from 38 hrs 7 min and still there is 20% battery left. But my on-screen time is only 5 hr 13 min.

On-screen time can be seen insettings>battery and then clicking on the area where screen is written. Then the screen use details will be opened. There you can see the time for which screen was on in 'time on'.

Have a nice day

• 2014-06-13 18:36
  • YQrM

> In reply to GOPAL KEDIA @ 2014-06-13 16:01 from t1$D - click to readI think you are misleading here. time from unplugging and on-screen time are completely different.

Just do this thing for me. Charge your s4 to 100%. Go to settings>more tab> battery and click the area where screen is written. There will be a time there. It must be in seconds. Around 20-30 sec as the phone is just unplugged. Now use it extremely. At the end of the day or 2 days when battery reaches less than 5 percent go there and see the time in hours mins and seconds and tell me.

And screenshots are welcomed at shbhm.ydv@yahoo.com

• 2014-06-13 18:30
  • YQrM

> In reply to GOPAL KEDIA @ 2014-06-13 15:55 from t1$D - click to readBuddy sorry for interfering but background apps using cpu is going to stick affect on battery backup for sure.
Battery backup depends on cpu,gpu,screen ,other hardware usage.

• 2014-06-13 16:35
  • t1$B

> In reply to darkgamer @ 2014-06-13 10:16 from YQrM - click to readI charge my mobile at night (whole night it is kept for charge), morning nearly 10 am I take out the charging pin and it need charge again at evening between 6-10 pm ( it varies daily in between)...

• 2014-06-13 16:09
  • t1$D

Superb phone,infact the best phone i've used so far,great camera,blazing fast,sleek n'light weight with good battery life even with kitkat update,just loving it preferred this over LG G2, xperia z/z1 compact & nexus 5,all these phones i mentioned were cheaper than S4 but still no regrets :-)

• 2014-06-13 16:09
  • PI9a

> In reply to darkgamer @ 2014-06-13 10:16 from YQrM - click to readI wish I could send you the snapshoot of battery details...
My S4 battery really run more then 10 hours every day... internet is on 24 hours with 2G network and sim (browsing different sites and apps for more then 5-6 hours, as college is over for last 1 month and more one month left of holiday)... other features like GPS, NFC, Smart view and all those features are always off...

• 2014-06-13 16:01
  • t1$D

> In reply to Arkajeet @ 2014-06-13 12:09 from PSLa - click to readDu battery saver dont disable internet or some other thing.. in my phone that is just installed, he dont interfair in any of my tast (no killing, killing apps will speed-up your mobile, will not save battery at this extent). It does nothing except increasing the battery back-up.

• 2014-06-13 15:55
  • t1$D

> In reply to Arkajeet @ 2014-06-13 12:11 from PSLa - click to readI also get around 1.30 to 2 hours while playing high end games.

• 2014-06-13 12:32
  • t1$B

> In reply to Arkajeet @ 2014-06-13 12:16 from PSLa - click to readYup but I also heard still some bugs are there and some new bugs too. I read on website.
Are you using kit kat ?
How is your battery back up ?

• 2014-06-13 12:30

> In reply to Arkajeet @ 2014-06-13 12:09 from PSLa - click to readSee buddy,
Battery saving apps works as you set the mode , if you selected a mode(can be different for different app) which has a setting to disable mobile data , Wi Fi or bluetooth.
However I haven't had any experience as you are saying , the one I used just shows me what are having their hands in draining the battery and then I can choose what to keep and what to kill.

I never use battery saving apps.
Just kill useless apps , keep your brightness low and keep data ,wifi,gps,bluetooth,smart features,gestures off and keep the power saving mode on.
There you are ready to save your juice completely.

I found battery saving apps useful only in two ways
1st. Showing trickle charging to maintaining battery health.
2nd. Some battery saving apps auto kills background bloat wares when we lock the device.

Tip: Use blocking mode when you are not going to use any kind of data , call ,notifications,led indicators too.

• 2014-06-13 12:25

> In reply to The-MJ @ 2014-06-13 12:10 from t1$B - click to readHey,
I had seen a increase of batter of about 30% after the Kitkat update.
I also hear that there will be 4.4.3 for s4 and few other phones is rolling out which will further increase battery life and reduce battery consumption by the camera.

• 2014-06-13 12:16
  • PSLa

> In reply to darkgamer @ 2014-06-13 10:16 from YQrM - click to readyeah That is true.
S4 gives about 2 hours from 100% to 60%(if im reading a ebook or something)
If playing asphalt it drains to 30 in 2 hours of gameplay straight.
Good battery but not the best (sompared to lgg2 and lgg3)

• 2014-06-13 12:11
  • PSLa

> In reply to darkgamer @ 2014-06-13 08:04 from YQrM - click to readI see your advise buddy,
And I am using a pure black wallpaper but as you know we rarely used to keep on buzzing on our app tray or home screen, most of time we used to have our hands on some apps or games or media contents, in which a black theme is not so much helpful , however it helps in other way.

I have kept the battery saver unchanged mean to say that cpu power saving is on.

I personally believe that my battery is either draining due to some bloat wares or it can be a software glitch.

My battery has a wonderful standby time but the usage time is little disappointing though.
So that's why I am thinking to update to kit kat via kies as I did two update using ota.
The first update was of only 25 mb or so and second was of 130 mb. I remember my battery backup has been increased than primary days.

• 2014-06-13 12:10
  • t1$B
Total of 15939 user reviews and opinions for Samsung I9500 Galaxy S4.