Samsung S7220 Ultra b review: More than meets the eye
Sharp looks and decent kit, Samsung S7220 Ultra b is one of those handsets that would rather do the job than do the talk. Not so long ago, the S7220 Ultra b could've been basking in the Soul kind of hype. Instead, today it quietly sits in the middle of Samsung's portfolio, ready to cash in without fanfare.
Samsung S7220 Ultra b knows to keep a low profile - and that's a compliment for a phone with a stunning screen and distinct styling. But it sure knows to keep up with the pace of the evolving midrange and takes a prominent face so you don't get lost in the crowd. In a busy corner of the market, it takes a few aces up the sleeve to keep the competition at a safe distance. The first impressions when we previewed the Samsung S7220 Ultra b back in February were very encouraging but let's see how it stands the test of a full review.
- Quad-band GSM and dual-band (900/2100 MHz) UMTS with HSDPA (7.2 Mbps) support
- 2.2" 256K-color AMOLED display of QVGA resolution
- 11.8mm thickness
- 5 megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash, Smile detection, Wide dynamic range and geotagging
- Built-in GPS with A-GPS support
- Stereo FM radio with RDS
- Hot-swappable microSD card slot (up to 16GB)
- Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP
- microUSB v2.0, charging through USB
- Accelerometer sensor
- Basic Java multitasking
- Office document viewer
- Smart dialing
- Smallish display
- Small and fiddly soft keys
- No camera lens protection
- No full-featured voice-guided navigation software
- Inadequate flash performance
- QVGA video recording only
The most prominent feature of the Samsung S7220 Ultra b is its AMOLED display that sets it apart from the majority of market rivals. The excellent screen quality is topped by a pretty capable 5-megapixel autofocus camera.
The nice metallic finish and the distinctive styling do give the Samsung S7220 Ultra b a bit of an edge against its competitors. The decent feature set and the solid looks make it a credible contender in the midrange.
Hit the jump to start exploring the Samsung S7220 Ultra b. Bear in mind that while in different parts of the world the handset is known under various names, such as UltraCLASSIC, Lucido and Eltz, we will keep to the original Ultra b.
Reviews > Samsung S7220 Ultra b review: More than meets the eye