I'm not sure if you misunderstood me but your comments are exactly my points. I totally agree that LG Shine has nice looks and a decent camera but the rest are a small catastrophe in a way. So I think in terms of functions, usability and ergonomics Samsung is definately way better.
Furthermore, I'm sure that U600 is a step up from D900 in many ways. However, I'm the kind of person who needs ergonomics (as I textmessage often) and the mobile to feel sturdy. To me U600 does not offer those things and that's why I'm not going to buy it.
Obviously I should try it before I judge it, but I fear in Finland one can demo U600 not until two to three months. Moreover, I have a hard time believing that U600 which is even slimmer than the wobbly D900 would feel very sturdy. I'm sure the structure is better than in D900 but that's not saying much. And as you migh know, many people have wobble U600s so it is in fact, well, a fact that U600 isn't the most sturdy mobile.
Anyway, it's an amazing mobile for sure, but as I'm a bit neurotic person (fear that I break expensive stuff) U600 is not for me.
I hope you really buy a LG and then realise that their software is the worse on the market. Samsung ain't the best, but it's doable.
Nokia's and SE's are the best.
When you want to call with a LG Shine via bluetooth the connections breaks after 5secs, if you want to answer a call you have the "anykey function" but when you want to hang up the phone needs to open! (to then close it again or press the button), can continue this for several minutes.
It's not logical at all.
Try it before you judge it.
I've had mine a few weeks now. And I can say there's nothing wrong with the key pad. And as for the feel. This is one of the best phones I've had, It feels so comfortable in the hand, Nothing like the D900.
Samsung have improved this phone over the D900 in just about every way.
My advise to you is, Try the phone for real before you judge it.
I'm not getting this mobile even though for a long time it was my number one choice. The reason? The keypad isn't good and the mobile is just too slim. I know the keypad isn't the worst ever but I doubt anyone hear can say without being biased that for example it is really easy to textmessage with U600. And about the slimness... If you haven't tried out Ultra Editions you should before you buy. I have demoed D900 extensively and it does NOT feel good. Too plasticy, too slim (the screen wobbled and felt loose). I know they have improved the matters somewhat in U600 but you have to remember that U600 is even slimmer than D900. And since it does NOT have metallic structure like LG Shine, for example, it is bound to feel somewhat like a toy mobile.
Don't get me wrong, U600 has some awesome features and while it loses to LG Shine lookswise the ergonomics are better. However, they aren't good and I'm not buying a 400 euro mobile that is not that easy to use (or that you have to get used to it), that is too thin, wobbly and plasticy and that apparently is in some cases a downgrade to D900.
Suggestion to Samsung: quit making your mobiles slimmer and slimmer, 12-14mm is slim enough; quit using plastic so much and use metal to make your mobiles feel sturdy; and put proper keypads that do not compromise easy of use and comfort in order to be cool and flat. If you don't, LG is going to steal away your slider market as I'm sure it soon realises that it already knows how to make awesome-looking mobiles and focuses on making them comfortable and logical to use.
Does the battery drain quickly when using the media player? What is the maximum length of time that you have played music on the mobile phone? What was the battery life before and after the music experience?
In your opinion, is it worth using the U600 as a music player? (I don't intend to carry lots of devices (Ipod) for different tasks, prefer to have one device which does everything i need, an example is the U600).
Alternatively, do you think it is better to get another phone (Nokia 6300 as an example) and an Ipod mini (4GB) so that i can have a phone and a music player, or is the U600 good enough to do both?
Thanks in advance.
**Just to answer a few question people have**
- You cannot have the phone on silent and still get the alarm to be audible, it will only vidbrate.
- You can have the phone vibrate and ring at the same time for incoming calls.
- You cannot have vibrate and tone at the same time for messages, only one or the other.
- When using the 'Themed' dialing displays, you cannot turn off keypad tones. You can only turn them off when you use the conventional numbers as your dialing display.
- With keypad tones turned off, ensure you have the keypad tone volume set up if you wish to hear camera noises and power noises. Having the volume up but the tones off will still make no keypad tones.
- You can change all camera tones from withing the camera settings when you start up the camera.
- The camera has a flash.
- The max video resolution is CIF, not QCIF as some have been saying.
- There is a built in FM radio.
- The main number pad is not touch sensitive, it uses easy to use button. Only the 4 buttons around the navigation keys are touch sensitive. These are not as sesitive as people make out, they are in fact very easy to use. Of course, they are touch sensitive so be careful with accidental presses. You soon learn to avoid this and its not hard!
- The touch sensitive buttons lock when the phone is in a call (so they dont get set off by your face). You have to press the power button or 'i' to unlock, then press the red phone.
- I advise you simply use the slide to answer and end calls... sliding up answers, then when you done, slide closed to hang up. Much easier!
- The phone allows you to set in setting whether you want pictures videos saved to the phone or to a memory card. You can save directly to a memory card.
- The music player allows you to sync directly with Windows Media Player if you want. Overwise you can simply drag and drop using the Samsung software.
- To use the FM radio you must have the headphones plugged in as they act as the ariel. It wont allow it to start overwise.
- The phones screen turns off during charging (some older Samsungs left the screen on throughout the whole charge).
- The phone is generally well built. It is however, due to is thinness, not 100% solid. The slide wobbles FRACTIONALLY. This however does not at all feel like a weakness or a problem. The phone does not feel like it will break.
- The two 'softkeys' and the 'i' button cannot have their function changed. They remain as 'Menu', 'Contacts' and 'Internet' respectively. You can however change the shortcuts on the navigation keys, eg. press left to start a new text message. This can give you access to 'My Shortcuts' aswell.
- 'My Shortcuts' can be customised to whatever you like.
- The phone supports 2Gb MicroSD cards.
- The battery is not as bad as people say. Its not brilliant either. I would say it last 4 full days unused, 2 full days on general use (some calls, music, radio, etc) and only 1 full day of heavy use. I wouldnt say its a problem, my last phone was similar and you quickly get used to putting it on charge every other night before bed.
- The battery also has a fast quick charge. If its low and your going out, 15 minutes charging will massively boost it to ensure you can make lots of calls that night without worry.
- You can watch videos fullscreen, landscape.
- You can view pictures full screen, however, there are odd small zoom logos etc on the screen overlaying. Not bad, but not pure picture!
- Finally, READ THE MANUAL!! Most of what your asking is in there. Just have patients and spend 2 minutes looking it up in the manual and you will most likely find what your after. The PDF of the manual off Samsungs site is probably the easy way!
** I cant think of anything else that has been asked or could be useful right now. I hope this helps you. Ive had this phone for a few days now and love it. I highly recommend it, you wont be disappointed. It is by far the best Samsung phone. They have fixed all the silly things from old Samsungs and have stolen a few neat tricks from Sony Ericsson! If anyone does have any further questions, please ask and I will try to answer. Address your questions to me though (Lex). **
Well on my phone the i button takes you to the wap browser - the irritating 'Samsung Funclub page' - can this be changed?
I am used to the central button taking you to a menu.
I am in 2 minds about sending this phone back at the mo.
I have the same problem with the alarm in silent mode. With my D500, I could still use the alarm tone in silent mode. With the U600, I can only use the vibration in silent mode. Anyone can help?
Does anyone know how to make alarms work in silent mode? is it possible to do this?
I'll guess that a future firmware update may fix that with ring AND vibe for text messeages.
This feels like än bugg in the software and Samsung may fix that. But, this is only my option.. i still haven't got the phone yet (live in Sweden).
Yes, finally ring and vibrate at the same time but only for incoming calls. For tone messages, it is only vibrate OR ring. Either Samsung engineers are plain stupid or really vicious...
Is there a limit on how many sms you can store on this phone, is it still capped at 200? Thanks.
This phone has Ring and Vibrate at the same time. you know what that means??? it means its a miracle that samsung finally added this freaking option that almost everyone wanted.
Here's my email-adress for photos taken by the U600 or please put the photos on gsmarena.com, if possible.
can someone send me some photos taken by the phone?
I've seen 3 photos taken by the camera, all made on the cebit fair, and this isn't very impressing.
At the moment I've got the Samsung D500 with 1.3 MP and it takes very good pictures, at least better than most actual mobiles with a 2 MP camera. Now I'm searching for a nice looking mobile with a very good camera, so that I can take photos with the phone which are close to photos by a real digital camera.
people who keep making calls by accident are you left handed or right handed when you use the phone ???
as i am right handed and the cancel button is on that side i was just woundering if its the left handed people who keep making the wroung calls ??
can you have the option contacts on the dpad as i know its on one of the touch screen buttons i was wanting it on the dpad to ???
Yes, it does have a FM tuner built in, and it acutally works and sounds pretty good with the included stereo headphones. Nice surprise, as I was not expecting much out of FM on a phone. I just got the phone yesterday and love it! I, too, am making a few accidental calls with the touch sensitive outside buttons, but am sure I will adapt. Included software is good, no glitches, simple drag and drop of files from pc to phone and vice versa. Very impressed so far!
Well the battery is still full and i've been fondling with it for a whole day now.
I seriously don't know why people say that the phone lasts for only 2days? Seems hard to believe... Maybe if you phone hours a day.
Only phoned with it for 5min and the quality was good but could have been better (there are not enough low tones when you put it at max).
But this on the other side makes it very understandable.
hey cedric sam again .. i meant i dont care abt the camera.. well i do care a lot abt the battery.. hows the battery life on this fone ??
hey cedric or whoever who posted the last msg asking to mail u if any doubt on this fone... i am looking for a new fone and something exactly like this... i have never used a samsung before... i like the looks and i dont care abt the battery .. hows the sound... ?? and the talk time .. the main thing i worry abt...