Sonim XP3 Enduro - user opinions and reviews

172041

5.3
5.1
5.5

I bought my Sonim 6,5 years ago, had it on service 4 times , allways got a free Sonim while fixing it,and it still works great,,im Scrapmetallman and the phone have had a very hard life, and its the only phone that easy can record calls, which is very practicall when talk with authoritys and travell instructions etc. but now hard to get batteries for it,,,,,,,sad,,,

• 2014-07-28 13:37
  • p8iP

I have used my XP3 Enduro for 5 years, no problems at all. Even the battery is still the same and it works well for 6-7 days.
My next phone will be the Sonim CAT B25.

• 2014-04-13 16:10
  • gx%x

Hmm - I have a love/hate relationship with this phone. Let me start off by saying that I HATE cell phones. Never wanted one or was slightly interested in them but when the kids came along and my wife insisted I relented.

I did a lot of research and finally opted for the Sonim XP3 over 4 years ago. I had seen the Land Rover phones in the UK and thought these were pretty cool. They suited my life style.....or so I liked to think!

I was happy to buy into the new company selling roughty toughty phones though all my friends thought I was mad as no-one had heard of Sonim. I bought mine from Best Buy in Maine for around $350 ish and loved it. Super basic - it made calls which is all I wanted it to do. Not interested in the camera or other 'bells and whistles'. Great trick was calling it whilst it sat in my beer at the bar...I was a hero!

After 6 months the phone broke. Dont know why. Sonim customer service were AWESOME and didnt care why it had broken either, they just sent me a new one. Cant complain - thanks!

Over the next few years I kept up with the software updates but one by one things started to go wrong with. First the chime when the phone is switched on sort of half worked and never recovered, then the side buttons stopped doing anything really. The phone speaker quality was always awful and then it stopped ringing when receiving calls - so everything went straight to my VM. I forgave it all this and ploughed on...my family and friends laughed at me.....I didn't care.

Then the calls started dropping mid-call, then the phone wouldn't stop dialing even though it couldn't get through...it would dial in vain for 5, 10, 15 minutes at a time and I COULDNT STOP IT...eventually I had to take the battery out.

But still I loved it and my family laughed....

I noticed the website doesn't support it (I have a Mac) and the software is hopelessly out of date with reality and the modern world but I still have it.

Then one day....I didn't get a call to say my children's soccer had been canceled because the phone never rang.....straight to VM. My kids sat all alone in an empty field in Maine for over an hour - 6 y/o and 10 y/o.

Bye phone. You have been one of THE worst pieces of electronics I have ever owned - you are crap. You dont work and the very few things you do do you do badly...but like that friend you cant shake off and constantly feel sorry for, I gave you a good go. But you really let me down. And to add insult to injury, the man at Best Buy had never heard of Sonim when I went in there to enquire about the new iPhone 5... you will be missed...but not for long. Hello Apple - RIP Sonim.

• 2013-09-22 04:15
  • k2b8

it is working fine so far. i bought the Land Rover version with 3800mA battery and buttons to play MP3/4 . it looks the same basically. there were no manuals so i am working my way through the menu.

• 2013-07-09 01:07
  • bJyt

This is the worst Phones I ever owened in 20 years. It is not Shock proof at all, the cheapest nokia on the market is more reliable. With 3 of these phones I am often still phoneless while two of them are in for the slowest repairs in the country. A farmphone plugged into a landline with a phone opperator connecting your calls garantees better communication!

• 2013-06-16 16:30
  • rv2Q

Had this phone around 4 years, I've accidently kicked it with steel-caped boots into a wall to then land in a puddle, just picked it up and it kept going... I've also found it to have generally good reception and my provider is not well known for such

;shrugs "Works for me"

• 2013-05-10 03:23
  • v6jb

I bot sonim XP53 force last year. VERY VERY DISPAPOINTED ! When ever I am in Italy, Roaming problems: Searching, Searching, . . big bug . Network preference do not work: I leave in Geneva where we get French and Swiss signals: it just choose the strongest one.
When I send SMS: does not keep them.
two keys are not lighted.
Finally, after sending twice to the shop, they got made and told me I was not the only one.

The only thing I like with my Sonim was I can take pictures instantly with one hand ; not like iPhone . . .
The aftersales service is just awkard !

I know it is made in China , but the brand is USA !
This is a shame ! it is a disgrace for US goods !

Now I bot a Samsung B21, no more problems,

• 2013-05-03 19:27
  • JJd3
  • F

great piece of kit, its been dropped, had great signal but now wont charge and the battery has died.
Its now useless and I'm back to using my very old but trusty Sony Ericsson phone from 2004.
guessing a board fault or dry joint. You expect better since I've only had this handset for four months.

• 2013-04-07 09:05
  • JiPA

> In reply to katie @ 2010-11-29 20:06 from iL@N - click to readkatie i think you will find that the IP (ingress protection) rating on these phones denotes that the phone is (6) dust tight and (7) immersion at a depth of 1m for a duration of 30min so ye this phone is water proof.

• 2012-12-14 21:45
  • pJAL

Hey!People!I don't know what you do with your phones,but this is my short review about my Sonim XP3 Quest (black color):

I have this phone 3 years and almost 4 month!!!
Still going STRONG!
I drop it,drop it hardly,put it in the water....it just working WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM!!!
If I'm going to buy another phone it should be ONLY SONIM PHONES!!!

• 2012-12-10 06:37
  • 7DRG

> In reply to jimb @ 2011-04-28 18:48 from nxJx - click to readhow did you get ahold of them

• 2012-06-06 19:00
  • Ruka

Found a used XP3.2 for a good price so thought it would be worth a try. I had high hopes but after a few months have been more disappointed than delighted.

The good:
- Yes, it's tough. Has withstood several episodes of spilled tea and beer.
- Flashlight works great. Love this feature.
- Camera is decent, if slow.
- SD card feature works well.

The bad:
- Operating system is a bit cumbersome.
- The alarm is linked to the ring setting. If you set the phone to "silent" ring you will not wake up when you want to.
- The microphone is not working well. People have a difficult time hearing me when I call.
- I downloaded the software from the Sonim website to my PC. The software won't recognise the phone.

Since there's not much point in having a phone if people can't understand me when I call, I think I'm going to be divesting myself of this little brick. Shame, otherwise it was a decent bit of kit.

• 2012-04-11 22:19
  • Irbh

Piece of Rubbish. Charger problems, speaker problems and they took months to repair, lied about the time they received it, played me off against the dealer (who did the right thing),the women made acourtesy call when I asked questions she hung up on me and then said she got cut off, just bullshiters, just hopeless. This phone is an overated piece of rubbish as are the people who make it.

• 2011-09-12 17:15
  • vutF

i think a carrier pigeon would be more reliable than this sad phone that i purchased

• 2011-08-06 14:57
  • nx96

> In reply to chris @ 2011-07-24 10:18 from w0{3 - click to readthey are realy not as reliable as imagined mine failed after three months your better of with a well known brand tough phone

• 2011-08-06 14:48
  • nx96

> In reply to katie @ 2010-11-29 20:06 from iL@N - click to readKatie,in response to your comment about my post ( under anon), if you took time to read the content of my post, you should have gathered that the phone is primarily meant for safety & emergencies.That is the whole purpose of me having a water proof/resistant phone. Holding a walkie talkie while i am floating out to sea with an injured companion, or simply wanting to call my family (who live 20 km away) advising i have just got safely out of the water, is not really going to help. Your stupid comment is not needed, and i am sure the highlight of your day is trying to lift yourself off the couch. I suggest you study up on the specs and IP ratings for the Sonim phones, maybe even check out a vid or 2 on their website and then you might be qualified to make further comments.

• 2011-07-24 10:18
  • w0{3

see my previous post outlining my problems with the sonim XP3.2 Quest/Land Rover S1. These, and all Sonim handsets come with a 3 year unconditional guarantee which covers any faults and even accidental damage, you break it, Sonim replace it. (yes-really!). I contacted Sonim directly and explained the situation. (I have read comments on how poor Sonims after-sales service was... ..not true in my case.!!). They were very concerned with the previous problems and sent out a brand new handset with the latest Updated software and i sent the old one back. This new phone appears to be "sorted", no software glitches, good reception, clear speech, good loud speaker. Sonim are obviously listening to their customers and improving the products. suffice to say, the samsung B2100 is back in the drawer and im a happy bunny again. My experience of Sonim is much improved. speak as you find, i cant fault them.

• 2011-04-28 18:48
  • nxJx

got the XP3.2 QUEST/ (Land rover S1) with a 2 year contract because the handset is way too expensive "sim free". 1st phone: factory installed hairline crack in battery cover and software fault where the handset would "freeze", no incoming calls despite the phone is switched on and the main screen lit,(all looked ok) missed dozens of important calls because "your phone was switched off", went straight to answer phone". its never off.phone would not even switch off, had to remove the battery to reset it. handset was replaced by tesco, fair enough. 2nd phone: software problems again, keyboard freeze and completely non responsive (intermittant fault), muffled speech from my end(bad microphone) and woke up one morning to find a misty screen, removed battery cover to find water droplets inside. the phone has only been in rain and never submerged.! Tesco could not replace it this time as they no longer sell it, quoted in store "too many problems, we just keep having them back" unquote. sent back to Sonim direct who replaced it with what looks like a new handset. fair enough. 3rd phone: built in flashlight does not work on the hotkey on the right hand side of the phone and it has frozen once so far, then flashlight switched on, and stayed on,i was only able to switch it off by switching the phone off and back on again. here we go again, will be contacting Sonim this week. never mind, ive have still got my trusty Samsung solid B2100 as a backup phone, which funnily enough, has never failed...ever. in 3 years. THIS IS THE 3RD SONIM IN 12 MONTHS. do yourself a favour and buy a Samsung in the first place, save yourself the hassle. could have been an excellent phone, what a pity the internals are christmas cracker quality.

• 2011-04-03 23:27
  • nxJx

Exactly what it says on the tin - hardware is awesomely tough, however the software inside is terrible. I've been using an XP3 for just over three years, and gone through three phones - the first was a speaker failure, the second a charging failure. Throughout all three separate units, however, the same software issues plague it;

- the phone occasionally locks up when typing a message. The keypad becomes unresponsive and stays lit, the screen locks up and goes dark when it detects no input (due to keypad lockup), people are unable to call the device. the only remedy is to switch it off and back on again.

- a keypad lock mode that basically refuses to actually lock anywhere but the main screen. apps like the stopwatch a a pain to use since you can't lock the keypad while looking at it. it's also very unintuitive - you have to hold down they * key for a full second to lock/unlock, which quickly gets annoying and has you wishing for a key combination you could enter quickly to do the same job a la Nokias' "menu, *"

- an "emergency number" unlock feature that, instead of unlocking the phone when a full complete emergency number is entered (eg. 9, 1, 1, *unlock*) will unlock as soon as it recognizes the FIRST digit of a possible emerg. number, which can be either 1, 9, or 0. more often than not you will pull your phone out of your pocket and have something akin to "94798++215**" dialed up. luckily it will not actually call said number if the call button is pressed, as it recognizes it's not an actual emerg. number, but why wasn't that tied to the emerg. unlock function in the first place?

- typing an sms using the dictionary will sometimes cause the word to "idle out" (i.e. think you stopped typing the word for an extended period of time and cancel it) even if you are still in the middle of typing said word. can happen multiple times in the same sms.

- An sms dictionary that is incomplete, nor does it allow you to add your own words. (seriously, it does not recognize the words "hornet" or "pram" so far as I know, but there are lots more, including your basic set of swears too)

- a universal time zone mode that has serious flaws in the programming. for example, Turning Sydney (Australia) onto daylight saving (when it's set as your local time) adds 1 hour onto Sydneys' clock... and adds TWO to Londons! when it's not your local time, daylight saving decides to instead take an hour off Sydney. not correct either way (should be a +10 hour difference normally, an +11 hour difference with Sydney DLS on.)

- auxillary software applications that shut down without saving or running in the background when a call comes in. Doing laps on a track with the stopwatch? better hope no-one calls you when you're doing that, as you will lose your current lap time and any record of your progress!

- a quick hotkey to "silent mode" which is great... until you realise this "silent mode" also doesn't include vibrate, so the only way you can tell if someone's calling in this mode is if you happen to be looking at the screen when they do. This hotkey is hard-coded, too, so you can't change it to another mode, such as "meeting" which is an actually useful "silent + vibrate" mode, except with the big flaw of still playing the "battery low" chime very, very loudly when it needs to.

- really bad reception at times. calls can drop out in places other phones don't, even if within line-of-sight of a phone tower, and actually prevent whoever called you from calling you back until you move significantly.

- rejecting a call counts as a missed call, even flashing a message on the screen saying you missed a call right after rejecting it.

- An alarm clock that fails to save your designated alarm times if you make the mistake of pressing the hang up key to exit the alarm menu, and not the "exit" key. a very easy mistake to make when at the end of a long day and already half asleep, and I've missed plenty of meetings after assuming I've correctly entered my wake-up time and sleeping straight through.

all in all, the hardware is very good, there may or may not be a few errors here and there, but otherwise, yes, its a very tough phone, and yes it will probably survive anything you can - maybe more. however, it's as if the programming team have either done their jobs with very little hours or pay, or none of them have ever used a mobile phone after the switch to sim cards; - in this day and age of smartphones, there's just no other explanation as to how some very simple programming/design errors have been made with this device.

• 2011-03-25 04:28
  • uKck

I am now on my third phone they are realy crap phones
they cut out will only re start with removeing battery mic is very poor people cannot hear you speaker crackles you cannot hear them and very poor battery life
sonim support is crap to have you tried to contact them
Each time the phone is away for weeks i have to use my old trusty nokia i keeps going
I wish i had never bought the xp3 dosenot live up to its name

• 2011-01-30 20:49
  • nEmj
Total of 151 user reviews and opinions for Sonim XP3 Enduro.