Big news, Sony fans! Sony has just announced the availability of the Android 4.4 KitKat update for the Xperia Z Ultra, Xperia Z1 and Xperia Z1 Compact. The new firmware rollout starts right now for all three smartphones, but the process is gradual so it might take some time before the update notification pops up on your phone.
Here is the official change log:
- Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation…
We’ve added our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
- Our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles, and more to follow soon…
But wait, there is more good news! Android 4.4 KitKat is already in development for the Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z and it will become available for those devices in May or June this year.
Sony has also confirmed that the newly announced Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2 will get the KitKat treatment as well, but the availability will be detailed later.
Thank you, Prannoy, for the tip!