Sony Ericsson Xperia pro - user opinions and reviews

Sony Ericsson

7.3

I've had this phone for a while now, and have had various operating systems, and other then a few small problems, it's fantastic.

I had a problem with the light sensor auto-brightness, but my recent software upgrade to cyanogenmod 10.2 resolved the problem.

Finding the right info to root and flash this phone was a somewhat long task, but in the end, it's a pretty simple process - install sony mobile flashtool. Find a rom you, like that includes a custom recovery, as a zip. Find the keymap that you need, and find the right version of gapps for the rom you want to install, if you want the google play store. Extract the rom, copy all the zip files, including the rom, to the SD card. Use flashtool to unlock bootloader and then use it to root. Boot into fastboot mode by holding menu and plugging in (blue light) flash the boot.img that you extracted earlier, reboot phone and enter recovery by pressing the volume rocker. Install update from SD card, and install each of the zip files you moved there earlier, go back to the main recovery menu, wipe the cache and data, and reboot.

After figuring out how to do it, and tweaking things exactly how I like them, I'm thrilled with it. It runs JB like a champ, has plenty of space for everything I want to put on it, which is a ton of games, now that they can be moved completely off internal storage. The camera leaves a little to be desired, but I haven't really tried it with the new software, so I have hope yet.

The keyboard is sturdy, and doesn't feel at all cheap, the button press is a bit on the hard side, but the button relief feels nice, the keys are well-spaced, and the keyboard light is nice and bright, and in some cases, adjustable. The front buttons could do without the back light, which is far too bright, but there is a mod which shuts this off.

The notification LED is changeable, and you can set custom colors for it, which is pretty slick.

It's an OK phone on the stock software, but it's a great phone on custom stuff, and it looks really nice, fits nicely in the hands, even with the keyboard out, it just feels nice. Bit hard to find protector cases for it, and no real good ones. Some people have problems using their phone when it's plugged in, but I have yet to experience that, and my phone is plugged in most of the time.

Battery life could be better, but with root and an auto-hibernation program, it can be extended significantly.

Since they can now be purchased new for around $170 US, a great phone for the price. I'm happy with it.

• 2014-07-07 05:33
  • rMFe

To update into latest version of android version in this phone. Try download sony update service ,SUS.

• 2014-06-14 19:01
  • HjBD

friends give me the original suggestion about this mobile bcoz i really like to buy this one i m impressed on this camera

• 2014-06-09 06:25
  • fCx%

> In reply to Manutomar @ 2014-05-22 22:53 from w0%D - click to readI used carbon 4.4.2 and many costum roms! but I think stock GB is faster and stable on playing games , record 720p stereo sound (better than ics),HDMI support,OTG without any trouble , and so many reasons
but u right legacy 4.1 has very fast ui :)

• 2014-05-29 18:15
  • HIGi

ICS (4.0.4) with b567 kernel is laggy, infact a lot laggy, stay with gingerbread(2.3) or if you are out of warranty( mostly would be ;) ) root it and use kitkat or jelly bean smoother and faster, but be aware camera wont be that good as in stock gb or ics. I prefer personally carbonROM, you can find on xdadevelopers.com with legacy xperia kernel, cynogen mod basically. camera is way better than what other custom ROMs provide. macro mode is awesome, better than stock camera. rest is a bit downgrade but livable with.

• 2014-05-22 23:00
  • w0%D

> In reply to sahand72 @ 2014-05-09 11:39 from HIGt - click to readyou are wrong, it all depends on stable rom, rom and kernel combination, I'm currently using carbonROM ( android 4.4.2) with legacy xperia kernel.

• 2014-05-22 22:53
  • w0%D

use flashtool, for more information look for xdaforums and you will find handful of information about how to root, roms and kernels.

• 2014-05-22 22:50
  • w0%D

> In reply to Omkar @ 2013-12-22 13:24 from uuQ@ - click to readHi omky can u pls assist me to root my xperia pro.

• 2014-05-12 19:16
  • 3JDG

> In reply to Abedito @ 2014-05-02 13:46 from fkV3 - click to readdon't. the best rom for this phone is 2.3.4

• 2014-05-09 11:39
  • HIGt

> In reply to Anas @ 2014-05-06 22:39 from gxCw - click to readyes after root and install usb storage app,it does.

• 2014-05-09 11:37
  • HIGt

> In reply to Anas @ 2014-05-06 22:39 from gxCw - click to readyes after root & install usb storage app it does...

• 2014-05-09 11:34
  • HIGt

Does it support usb on the go??

• 2014-05-06 22:39
  • gxCw

> In reply to Abedito @ 2014-05-02 13:46 from fkV3 - click to readDownload Pc companion from Sony http://www.sonymobile.com/ca-en/software/ and use the software update feature to update your phone.

• 2014-05-05 10:08
  • Ik9B

Can any one help me update my phone into 4.0 ICS ?

• 2014-05-02 13:46
  • fkV3

> In reply to Omkar @ 2013-12-22 13:24 from uuQ@ - click to readcan you please tell me how to flash 4.1 into my xperia pro

• 2014-05-02 07:59
  • Trj3

my phones strip complaint..so display is nil,can anyone suggest better phone with PRO's specification.
mail me
shhinps1987@gmail.com

• 2014-04-15 06:05
  • uwvR

Hi, Let me know, you have any planning about to upgrade OS from current version to Android KITKAT...

• 2014-04-04 23:02
  • 3Y6J

Hi I need Xperia pro panel(phone body cover)PLease tell me where i can find them

• 2014-04-04 18:39
  • tU2i

hey omkar can you help me with upgrading my cell phone?

• 2014-03-30 17:36
  • vbMQ

> In reply to Xperia king @ 2014-02-15 19:56 from utYx - click to readHi Xperia king,
Could you please tell us exactly how did you root it? And how did you move Apps to the SD? What software did you use? I hope you provide us with links.
Thanks in advance.

• 2014-03-20 21:41
  • 3C7Q
Total of 3872 user reviews and opinions for Sony Ericsson Xperia pro.