Sony Ericsson Xperia pro - user opinions and reviews

Sony Ericsson

7.4

> In reply to Dax Omega @ 2011-09-20 18:39 from q{4x - click to readWhere are you located and who did you buy from? I'm in US, looking to get one now.

• 2011-09-20 19:23
  • 4qxL

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-09-19 20:06 from t7BW - click to readHey The Phone Is Already Out And I Have Had One Since Sept 1 2011 It,s A Great Phone and it,s really fast as well.

• 2011-09-20 18:39
  • q{4x

> In reply to JC-MK16a @ 2011-09-19 09:41 from wfDj - click to readA nice review...thumbs up. This surely helped me.
PS: By the way, did you type all this from your phone ;)

• 2011-09-20 16:44
  • vGQR

I hope SE will make a compensation to their valued costumers for their very disappointing very late release. like i suggest and hope that they will release this with a 1g+ ram or a dual core or a proper discounted price. after all if they wanna sell there products like pancakes and bring back the trust of their costumers they should give something back for their loyal costumers who have waited :)

• 2011-09-19 20:06
  • t7BW

Awesome Phone. One of Best Phone from SE...

• 2011-09-19 19:49
  • q{kt

Like many, I have been playing the waiting game for this phone, each time getting disappointed at SE's inability to confirm a launch date. Since it was first launched at Fido, I have been trolling this site hoping someone would post a review. Finally unable to wait any longer I bit the bullet and purchased it from an online retailer(my first online purchase! - I never shop online). MobiCity- customer support was instant and delivery time was phenomenal, thanks guys - here's a shameless plug for you. For the benefit of those in my former position I have decided to write a review of my experience having played with the phone for two weeks(also a first for me! - I never write online reviews).

I am coming from a Nokia E72 Symbian Series 60. Usage predominantly emails, calendar, calls, sms, music , navigation and very light internet use(in descending order). Hard qwerty keypad is a must since I like to rest and drag my fingers across the keys. Lately my web use on the phone has intensified(not just for browsing but because most companies now moving functionality and access online in a big way) and this has lead to my search for an alternate device. Hence the SE Xperia Pro(had Nokia released the N950 to the general market no doubt I will still be with them). Having said that the N9 looks like a fabulous device(the kind wet dreams are made off) and Meego sounds promising(might be worth buying just to glass it up in a display cabinet for when it becomes a collectable - yes I still harbour a secret urge for Nokia to bounce back from the abyss). This introduction is important as my experience with the Xperia will predominantly be reflective and comparative to my experiences with the E72.

The external built quality i.e. bezel, buttons and cover feel like those you find on a $50 dollar phone. The cover feels especially flimsy, the locking mechanism works but will no doubt wear over time. The Black cover is a finger print magnet and I believe Silver may be the only colour that will half bearable. The cheap plastic built has two advantages(!?!), it allows the phone to be priced very attractively and it brings the weight down significantly. When you take into account all the other goodies the phone has to offer this is an outstanding job on SE's part(have the boys in marketing identified a specific target market or was this an unintentional outcome?!?!). The phone size is perfect in depth, width and thickness. Especially given that it hides a full functioning Qwerty keyboard!

The Qwerty keyboard does not have a slider counter(none that I could find), but it is very well built. It feels solids and locks in place nicely with no creaking or loose movements. I have average finger size and the keyboard landscape and button spacing is very comfortable. The functionality lay-out is well thought out although a small part of me wishes they had done a numerical keypad (on the right hand side) instead. However once you use it, you get use to the numbers at the top quickly. The buttons have a hard rubbery feel to them which gives the user a "soft click" impression. This compared to the hard buttons on the HTC Touch Pro which gives a light click with each press. I find that I have to cut my nails in order to be really proficient on the buttons(not a problem for me, but I wonder how the girls will fair). No loose buttons, good spacing, lights up when in use, the key board is a real gem and the piece de resistance of the whole phone!

Battery life with light emails(20 or so), calls(4-5 at 10 mins), sms(5 or so) and heavy browsing(4 hours) is terrible. The phone requires a charge every night and is almost out of juice by 7pm. The larger phone landscape is great for browsing and viewing documents, however this has resulted in poor battery life(a painful but necessary sacrifice or so I'm told). You most definitely need a car charger for this phone(just in case). NOTE: I have very few Apps that run in the back ground since the phone is relatively new and I am carefully that Apps that I download don't have permissions or access the Wifi or data automatically.

A night vision camera this is not! The camera is still great for a 8MP and the Bravia engine I believe makes a noticeable difference. Night shots are still grainy, but in some settings they come out pretty decent. Hence, some more experimentation may be required to fully utilize the ability of the camera(I would have thought auto - automatically selects the best settings?). Disclaimer: I have only viewed the pictures taken on the phone and not on a computer.

Still a fan of Symbian because it works out of the box(albeit it still has glitches) VS Android which you need to download Apps to obtain a comparable level of functionality that Symbian offers(and if you're unlucky still has glitches - Some Apps are perfect and some are not, and such is open source). On the E72, the limited 128MB RAM memory for running programs often resulted in the infamous "Memory Full Close Other Applications" reminder coming up. On the Xperia Pro, so far this has been absent and comparable usage has not resulted in the same limitation. I am told that the Gingerbread OS pushes resources to where it's needed and closes off unused functions automatically(it says I have 294 MB - hey what happen to the other 223MB I'm suppose to have?). Admittedly, this is an area and the Android OS is not one I am familiar with, so feel free to interject(btw it also says I have 420MB internal storage available instead of the advertised 320MB?). I am sure there is a massive fan base for both OS's so I won't even go there in terms of comparisons.

Call quality in and out is good. POP3 email is easy to set-up without glitches. The phone OS has been very stable(one episode of "stuttering" on the homepages which I have not been able to duplicate - thank god!) . As a music player it is disappointing(and this coming from someone who is tone deaf). From an average audio setting and above there is definite crackling noises. Playing through quality headphones may result in a better experience.

IMHO, the Xperia Pro would ideally suit someone with light to moderate internet usage on top of their regular call/sms/email habits(you should be left with about 30-50% of the battery at the end of the day). Heavy users just bring along a charger. Would I buy the phone knowing what I know now? In a heartbeat, the internet browsing on the Nokia was terrible(+ there isn't another comparable phone...at the moment)! Will another phone soon be available that could replace this? Easily(when one will become available is a different question). So by my logic, better to buy it now and get maximum use out of it before a better replacement comes along. Hope this has helped some off you decide whether to wait, buy it now or move on to a different device.

P.S. Don't ask me to test anything as I won't be posting anymore.

• 2011-09-19 09:41
  • wfDj

Hmm... interesting fact: The X10 never had a full size keyboard. Only in a mini version (X10 mini pro). Also weird is that the Xperia PRO is the only phone that is not available (world wide). Even the minies (Xperia mini, Xperia mini pro) are out and have full reviews... WTF?????

• 2011-09-19 05:47
  • 4qxL

I posted on Sony Ericsson Middle East's wall on FB asking: When will Xperia Pro be released in the middle east? I would import it but I would rather have the Arabic keyboard...
They replied..
Sony Ericsson Middle East: Hi Issam, the Xperia Pro will be available in the Middle East some point in October. We will update everyone on our page in the coming weeks.

• 2011-09-19 02:09
  • LePd

> In reply to owcherp @ 2011-09-17 21:07 from PS6w - click to readXperia Pro is way better.

• 2011-09-18 22:32
  • L3K0

Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson support centre.
I messaged sony and they replied back!!

The Sony Ericsson Xperia pro will be released in the United Kingdom. Unfortunately no date has been set for the product to be released. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. Please keep checking SonyEricsson.com for the latest on the product.

• 2011-09-18 21:29
  • HCgL

> In reply to owcherp @ 2011-09-17 21:14 from PS6w - click to readYes u can zoom while taking still image & after upgrade, u can zoom in HD Video Mode...:-)

• 2011-09-18 20:27
  • KFNx

is it out in india yet???im dyin to get my hands on it..........the keypad is a massive +point for dis one......rock on xperia!!!!

• 2011-09-18 13:00
  • 2Z4e

I did just preorder this. I decided that I do not really need to play games or watch streamed flash 10.3 hd movies when I am at work, so I will use this as my everyday workphone and then use my S2 on my freetime.

• 2011-09-18 11:11
  • 397J

Now available for preorder in Sweden, www.dustinhome.se, 3 590 kr, No info about exactly when it will be released. The specs feel almost a year old, but I am still very tempted to buy this, because it is lightweight and small and have an excellent slide-out keyboard. Glossy plastig backcover, ugly fingerprintmagnet, and the small internal memory are the only problems with this phone. The small internal memory makes it not a good game- and app-phone, but it is a very good everyday "work-phone".

• 2011-09-18 10:52
  • 397J

can you zoom the camera b4 u taking the pic??pliz answer me!

• 2011-09-17 21:14
  • PS6w

nokia n8 vs xperia pro which one is better???

• 2011-09-17 21:07
  • PS6w

Yes, it's much better than Neo or Arc. Keyboard, specs and price.

• 2011-09-16 21:43
  • niEZ

when is going to release in Nigeria

• 2011-09-16 11:57
  • ftKH

> In reply to Green-UZB @ 2011-09-15 23:16 from 4qxL - click to readThe keyboard is a MASSIVE reason to go for this if it is as good as some are saying. Even if it didn't have a keyboard, the specs look excellent and it is priced MUCH better than any of those other options (cheaper than Neo too).

• 2011-09-16 09:22
  • nGPt

> In reply to Zecreator @ 2011-09-14 15:37 from fuH@ - click to readI do not understand people like you... The only reason you would go for the Pro, is the keyboard. Otherwise, if you think that Galaxy or, much less, iPhone is an acceptable alternative, the Neo and Arc have been out for quiet a while now. So please, for the sake of your own intelligence, stop making such remarks.

• 2011-09-15 23:16
  • 4qxL
Total of 3899 user reviews and opinions for Sony Ericsson Xperia pro.