Sony Ericsson Xperia ray - user opinions and reviews

Sony Ericsson

7.7
7.4
7.3

I've had this phone for about six weeks now. I've tweaked the phone by downloading about 50 apps from Market so far, including Notepad and Astro file manager, two absolute musts, in my opinion.

I've added all the on/off widgets to my home screen. Turning off GPS, wi-fi, data, dim the lights (when you don't need any of these) really helps with the battery life.

I only have to charge the phone twice a week, Sunday night (to last through to Friday) and Friday night (for a weekend's hard usage).

I send about 750 texts a month and use about 200 mins talktime a month and 300MB data per month, so you can see that the phone can get some heavy use. The on/off power savers really do help!!

I've taken loads of photos (in 16:9 mode; 6MP) and they are good quality as you would expect from a Sony based product.

I have about 30 albums on my SD card, so I also listen to music regularly too.

In summary, I'd recommend the phone to anyone, who wants a good all round Android based smartphone and doesn't want a large handset that eats the battery!

I do have a small case for it, but it's remained scratch free so far! I clean it with a calotherm lens cloth. You can get these from opticians.

• 2011-11-20 15:44
  • sXEp

> In reply to mdz @ 2011-11-16 19:37 from sHsy - click to readthanx a lot bro for helping me out :) now im fully convinced for buying this phone!! btw did ur neo V got scratches on the screen ??

• 2011-11-20 15:12
  • 2@r2

> In reply to Sexy Gurl @ 2011-11-20 03:36 from YTZ8 - click to readif will read the spect it is just d same.. maybe the size and design that differs the two

• 2011-11-20 15:00
  • w0QG

how's the battery life?

• 2011-11-20 13:47
  • 0Utx

is exmor sensor an inbuilt one or v need to activate it??

• 2011-11-20 09:48
  • utAc

super phone... excellent display...and upgradeable upto V4.0...

• 2011-11-20 08:52
  • KSiW

I've purchased this phone 2 weeks ago and it works pretty good, But Im dissapointed with two aspects

1)Playing videos - When i copy a mp4 file directly from PC to mobile ,video lags and sometimes it freezes, Also can we play a video in full screen?

2)Flash light - Though phone is provided with 8mp cam, Night pictures are to be captured with flash light turned on through out, Is there any other alternative for this problem?

4)Can we forward a business card? If so how?

3)(not actually a problem)
Software update: It is mentioned in specs that we could able to update to Android 4.0,Is it possible? Current software running is 2.3.4

• 2011-11-20 06:48
  • wdKU

what is more good ray or arc?

• 2011-11-20 03:36
  • YTZ8

> In reply to Dan @ 2011-11-19 12:15 from 3Y1x - click to readThat is not android 4.0. I think you just received android 2.3.4 - if you updated to 4.0.2.A.0.42 or 4.0.2.A.0.58 (these are called build number or file system version).

• 2011-11-19 18:37
  • PBRB

does vlingo app( voice command) works in xperia ray???

• 2011-11-19 17:24
  • vaNH

How's the screen? is it really scratch proof?
This the only thing that stops me from buying this phone.. Please respond RAY users.. Tnx..

• 2011-11-19 17:12
  • t7JC

what are all the video files can be supported directly

• 2011-11-19 14:52
  • t}cV

The SE Xperia Ray - handset that packs a bunch of features but doesn't cost an arm and a leg!!!

Look at the spec's that can be found on the Ray and immediately your thinking its a high end device that sits up alongside some of Samsungs Galaxy Range, top end HTC devices and in a way the mighty iPhone 4.

However thats not the case, the Xperia Ray is considered a mid range device and if this is what Sony Ericsson consider mid range then can you imagine what their high end devices are like.

One of the great things about the Ray is its overall design, many of the smart phones found on the market today that have similar spec are huge boasting at least a 3.5inch screen and up. The Ray itself has a 3.3 inch screen but due to its overall form factor it doesn't feel like a huge device. If, like me, you carry everything in your pockets, having a smaller then normal top end smart phone comes in handy especially on those nights out.

Internally you'll find the Ray packs a 1GHz processor which does the job really well. Applications and the browser load smoothly, although not quite as fast as some of the higher end devices it still does the job really well. And with Android 2.3 as the OS you can get a lot more out of the phone thanks to the android market. Pick from apps ranging from games to apps that can help improve performance of your device.

Overall screen display is clear and bright, this is thanks to Sony's Bravia Mobile Engine. Its the same technology used in their Bravia LCD TV's so you can imagine what the screen must be like along SE's entire Xperia Range.

One of the best features of the Ray is the camera. At 8.1Mp the Ray's camera is for me the best available in its price range. What makes the Ray different from other 8.1MP shooters out there?? Exmor R is what. Exmor R, in simple terms, allows you to take pictures and video in low light conditions. So if your in club, on a night out, or just at home feeling vain the Ray is the perfect camera phone for those moments where you just want to randomly take a picture.

Overall the Ray, although not quite as high spec as its more advanced siblings it does the job well and in a device that is small and looks very slick. if you want something that has a big screen for watching videos and web browsing then the ray isn't for you but for those that do want a small device with a great display and an even better camera. The Xperia Ray is the only way to go

• 2011-11-19 12:40
  • 9Cj8

how to update from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4? thanks.

• 2011-11-19 12:37
  • t7Gw

Guys update to 4.0 was released. I'll install mine now.Enjoy

• 2011-11-19 12:15
  • 3Y1x

> In reply to s at ya @ 2011-11-18 07:09 from PDSt - click to readAstro FM for file manager, PhotoShop Express for editing photos. VidTrim for editing videos.

• 2011-11-18 20:20
  • PBRB

I have been using this phone for close to one month. Here are my likes and dislikes on this phone:

Like:
The Design is compact- Not to worry that you are carrying a pencil box in your pocket.
The interface response is good - Before going for this phone I came across few comments that this phone's touch response is not that good or you should actually tap hard on the icons. Thankfully I did not have such issues using this phone, I really liked the response, it’s smooth.
The Sync of Phone contacts with face books profiles – The contacts will show the pics & details from Facebook once you allow the sync option. Technically you only need to make the sure the contact name saved on the phone is matching with that of Facebook profile.
Android Market – Accessing the Market for apps in this phone is quite fast.
Music Quality – The Music Quality is good.
Camera – The Camera Quality is fine.
Call Quality – One of the best.
Sync of office E-mails – I started to sync my office e-mails into this phone and it works great. I just respond to important e-mails even when I am out of office.

Dislikes:

The Camera – Given the fact the Camera is 8 MP, I expected to enjoy a better pixel content/quality. A little Zoom on the camera will end the snap in VGA quality picture.
Battery – I hear this phone has a good battery compared to the ones in the Market but I still doubt if that’s correct, I recharge twice a day, though I use the Internet only when required (45 mits) and turn off the data traffic, Listen to Music not more than 30 mits, Calls and messaging will come around 1.5 Hours on an average.

Overall the phone is excellent. I rate it 4 out of 5.

• 2011-11-18 19:55
  • bCiE

hi i have this phone since 3 days, how can i browse in maps? like on sd card?

• 2011-11-18 12:42
  • S3Qk

it's excellent to use and handy

• 2011-11-18 09:05
  • utWH

hey anonymouse
i want to buy xperia ray. you have its alternative option? my budget is 20 k.
i am from india. please reply me soon..ur comments are good and genuine too...

• 2011-11-18 08:58
  • U@$3
Total of 5799 user reviews and opinions for Sony Ericsson Xperia ray.