Sony Xperia Z1 Compact - user opinions and reviews

Sony

8.0
8.1
8.2

I get around 5 to 5.5 hours maximum screen on time, with mainly browsing on chrome, whatsapp and gmail on wi-fi, a few videos and around an hour or a little more of walkman app. The screen is at minimum brightness all the time with adapt to lighting conditions on and also i use the phone on 2g 95% of the time since i don't use mobile data much. Stamina mode is on all the time. I get around 1 day of battery time. Its running on Kitkat. The battery drains by about 1% every 3-5 mins. Can someone tell me if my battery is performing as it should?. Or should i be getting more, since i see people getting 6 to 7 hours screen on time and nearly 2 days battery time with my kind of usage. Any reply would be highly appreciated.

• 2015-07-06 18:19
  • XMnM

> In reply to Gowron @ 2015-07-05 09:41 from m5m2 - click to readMy boyfriend has to get his screen replaced, didn't drop it, merely put it facedown on a wooden windowsill, without anyforce whatsoever. Picked it up to answer a txt and lo and behold it wouldn't swipe, then noticed a hairline crack at the edge. Outer glass not cracked but touchscreen inner glass ??? Crazy!!!

• 2015-07-06 17:30
  • 80hg

> In reply to Bjj @ 2015-07-03 16:49 from v0qx - click to readWell, if your are using flash + superior auto mode it sometimes happens, because the flash is too close to the camera.Try using manual mode, see if that helps.

• 2015-07-06 14:13
  • LaxG

> In reply to j45 @ 2015-07-01 09:33 from XMnM - click to readMy battery life is excellent. I had a battery problem in an old device when the mini sd card was improperly formatted or corrupted. I remember copying the sd card to my computer, reformatting a new larger sd card and repopulating the sd card from the computer copy. You could try that with your current sd card to see if that would work.

• 2015-07-06 02:35
  • kSmk

This phone is the Only sensibly shaped and sized phone available. The glass is very good and has been put thru the ringer with me from beach to mountains and working around my shop. I have never scratched the screen or the back glass cover either, and its been in my toolbox. Thin film protection is all I use on back and front. Size is perfect for pockets and the angular shape keeps it from slipping out of your hands like a used hotel bar of soap.
The camera is outstanding compared to others for definition and at 20 mp it even gives my old Nokia Pureview 808 a run for its money. Video is its specialty, and even the front 2mp camera can capture hd video. The pictures do degrade in quality as it gets darker and I've seen they have fixed this with a better aperture in the z3 and above models. Setting the aperture manually is an ez enough work around even in auto mode, and the photo apps really let you capture whatever you want in a variety of styles.
The waterproofing has saved me countless times at the beach and at pools, and even around a bucket of radiator fluid (dont ask). The magnetic charging system allows the user to never have to open the mini usb charging door and the phone holds a charge for two days easily when the going gets forgetful. I have no idea why Sony bundles its own shell and I rarely use any, but my godson loves the Playstation app as a bluetooth controller for his playstation about three times a year.
My only complaint is that the sound is too quiet for listening to sports station audio on the street when you're late for the game and trying to listen to a station, and I have great hearing. Its a limitaion in the software apparently, because even with headphones or the bluetooth speaker, the Sony always lacks volume over my old Nokia or my Ipod and iPhone devices. Hopefully that too can be rectified, since it would be nice to use oh maybe a Sony device to listen to some Sony music. I know it seems radical. Hello Corporate.
Really is a fun device all in all, only wish they could add some usefulness to their shell, like being able to direct outgoing App info or Updates to only wireless bandwidths. Nokia did it with Symbian, so it must not be that hard to do, and I may be mistaken, but I think Symbian code is easily licensed these days. Otherwise this is a complete diamond in the rough, quick, speedy, fun, waterproof, and a joy to hold!

• 2015-07-06 02:27
  • kSmk

Do not buy this phone at all costs. When I first had the Sony Z1 i like it - interface was good and everything worked well. Until a very hot day in June 2 months after I bought it the screen cracked (for no apparent reason.) It was dropped or anything just took it out of my pocket and unuseable (as its touch screen could even enter the unlock code.) Checked a few web sites and apparently its something they know about. Well they said I had broken and would not accept responsibility. Got it repaired at my own cost. Well very hot day yestarday started using it and cracked in front of me - very similar to the first time. Unbelievable its in a proper super hard case now (after the first time.) Going to phone sony tomorrow not going to accept this again worst phone every - common fault they will not admit to. Watchdog have already investigated this: -

• 2015-07-05 09:41
  • m5m2

Z1 compact. 4.3" medium compact phones screen size 342 ppi very good 720p resolution good Quadcore 2.2 ghz krait excellent Snapdragon 800 very good Adreno 330 good 20.7 mp main Camera excellent

• 2015-07-04 12:06
  • B{2d

> In reply to piya @ 2015-06-30 13:07 from Mfxa - click to readYou both bought it from flipcart but if you buy from a more reliable source like Amazon or Argos you will find that there are no dirty boxes because I just did buy it from Amazon and no dirty boxes. It works perfectly well.

• 2015-07-04 11:47
  • B{2d

im confused. I don't know whether to get the z1s or z1c. can someone please help

• 2015-07-04 06:46
  • fuN1

> In reply to Bjj @ 2015-07-03 16:49 from v0qx - click to readMy pink z1 compact have pink background in low light pictures

• 2015-07-03 23:21
  • avUB

Why does Z1 compact Lime when using the camera on night time also have this lime color on the background? It was really disappointing when you have too much faith on the camera's performance during the night travel and low light condition. Someone can help me resolve this?

• 2015-07-03 16:49
  • v0qx

I'm using z1 compact this is the best phone you can have. Great battery 5.2loli pop

• 2015-07-02 19:04
  • NmR2

> In reply to piya @ 2015-07-01 07:50 from Mfxa - click to readHow is your battery life?... Are you getting a whole day out of it without bothering about brightness or apps or settings?... I thought i would wait for a few more days and if i feel there is no hope for improvement, might apply for return.

• 2015-07-01 09:33
  • XMnM

> In reply to j45 @ 2015-06-30 15:00 from XMnM - click to readThey said dey will refund the money bt not exchange it as the same retailer does not have it in stock. and even i think its from old stock - Dirty Boxes .n now its available for 30k from sm other retailer.Bdw have checked few other sony phone with 2 & 2.2 mp...the front came is similer to dis phone. so..m not gonna return it. let me know if dey are taking ur phone back.

• 2015-07-01 07:50
  • Mfxa

> In reply to piya @ 2015-06-30 13:07 from Mfxa - click to readHey same thing... Even i bought from them and my box was dirty even on the inside... So i guess they either got some really old stock or else these are refurbished phones. Battery life has improved slightly after a few charge cycles but i have to be careful in my usage to make it last a day and half. I too am really confused as to what to do and i don't know if they will accept it.

• 2015-06-30 15:00
  • XMnM

> In reply to j45 @ 2015-06-27 05:24 from XMnM - click to readyaa..same with me. i baught it from flipcart .the box was lil dirty. n i have not got OTG USB cable .it heats up while charging and while using internet continuously for more den 30 min . and it takes time to charge fully around 2 hours.bt i love d phone...thinking of returning ..m really confused

• 2015-06-30 13:07
  • Mfxa

Xperia Z1compact one of the best xperia Phones for me I'm running lollipop, no problems I love this phone

• 2015-06-30 02:02
  • q2bd

June 4, 2015 i buy new Z1compact, June 24, 2015 it hang up and cannot be use, so i bring the phone to the sony service center, then until now the unit still at the service center, no words when i can use again the unit.
Very disappointed why i buy this phone.

• 2015-06-29 07:00
  • vj1N

My z1c does not work after uprdating sofftware from KitKat to Lollipop.
I can turn the phone on, but it just shows a black background.
Please help!

• 2015-06-28 17:10
  • pSe5

> In reply to sup @ 2015-06-27 16:28 from XNtq - click to readThank you... Hope i can do something about it.

• 2015-06-28 05:19
  • XMnM
Total of 3066 user reviews and opinions for Sony Xperia Z1 Compact.