Had this phone for a year now and can now make an informed review on it I think.
Although I loved this phone when I first got it I have grown to hate it now.
First the good
- Wow what an awesome screen, crisp image great colours not ti mention the full hd display just wonderful.
- Performance wise it is simply brilliant super fast and responsive. What more cam I say?
- Design is great altough some people might not like the boxy shape of it I personally think it's great amd extremely thin is also a plus.
- Steady software updates
- Great camera quality for a phone
- Best sound quality I have ever heard in amy smartphone
Now the bad
- Water proof! well... Yeah it is for the first six months untill the little ruber bits on yhe charger port lid start to tear, obviously those see heavy usage due to the phone's poor battery performance, but I'll get to that.
- Screen problem, oh yes, it's not all fun and games when it comes to the screen as after about 7-8 montgs of usage the screen will either go black when I try to unlock the phone or it goes black with green stripea across. This is extremely annoying if I'm trying to unlock the phone and do something quickly. Also sometimes when I get a call the screen just goes white and I can't take the call. I will probably send it for repair but the even bigger problem of being without a phone for a while is terrifying to me hehe.
- Conatruction quality - this phone has never fell on the floor, even so it is not just the ruber from the charging bit that's ripping, even the lid for the sim card and mem card is starting to come loose. Apart from that the phone is solid but since it's advertised as a water proof phone this kind of takes away from it.
- battery performance, well it's bad and I'll leave a practical example. I'm writing this review on the phone and it is now 12:25pm I left home at around 11 and I now have 72% battery left, and the phone didn't see heavy usage. An app called battery doctor helped to mitigate this a bit but I now carry a portable charger around with a phone that is already hard to find a pocket for.
- Camera issue also been having an issue with the camera as it gives me am wrror when I try to snap a picture and it will only work again after I restart the phone and as most people will understand that might be too late to get the picture.
I think I have covered everything I was hoping and I do hope this review helps other people make am informed decision. I still think this has the potential to be a great phone but the screen problem and the camera issue have turned it into an annoying brick sticking out of my pocket.
Hiiii, guys. I m planing 2 buy z ultra. After seeing all these comments, i m bit confused wether 2 buy or not. Plz, help me.
krassi, 23 Jul 2014my z ultra is in bad condition screen broken and nothing works.What is the worst is that I don... moreThere is phones like the samsung galaxy mega which has a 6.3 inch which is the closest to xperia z ultra or if you wanted a better pixel density and gaming there is the htc one max with a 5.9 inch screen.
Mms, 15 Jul 2014Update: 11 months on, here is my personal review:
1) Performance remains strong with no... moreThanks for the great review from someone who has been using this device for a bit of a long time. Getting my own Z Ultra next week, i hope i will have a great xperiance with it. Thanks again.
Just received kitkat update 14.4.A.0.108 there seems to be little or no change. Except that instead of the Google now button just doing Google it has Sony entertainment network rubbish on it as well. I don't want it.. Is it switchable removable? Annoying thing it is!
Anonymous, 23 Jul 2014Oh really I buy it.from.you...reply! you can have It but I must wait for the dealer to return it to me
my z ultra is in bad condition screen broken and nothing works.What is the worst is that I dont want any other phone.I had note 2.and was preparing to upgrade to note 3 but the salesman showed me this one.Is there any other big screen phone?
krassi, 23 Jul 2014I broke the screen on my loved z ultra. I think it is to expensive to repair!:( well life goes on Oh really I buy it.from.you...reply!
I broke the screen on my loved z ultra. I think it is to expensive to repair!:( well life goes on
panks, 22 Jul 2014Hiii Ravi..have to buy a mobile m confused between z ultra or lg pro 2.can u suggest me.Funny how you keep.asking.same. Questions!!!
Hi I have to buy mobile but a bit have confusion between Sony z ultra and Lg g pro 2.pls suggest me asap.
ravi27, 28 Jun 2014Too many apps running in background...brightness is high..check this and battery is fine!Hiii Ravi..have to buy a mobile m confused between z ultra or lg pro 2.can u suggest me.
dr.tec, 17 Jul 2014Do you know will my phone support 128 GB SanDisk MicroSD card?Yes. Sandisk. 128gb. I'm considering a Sony 6833 as well. I live my G Pro. But need a bigger display. The upgrade path to 4.4.4 is icing on the cake.
TandooriTroll, 18 Jul 2014Thanks for the reply! :) I've given it another full charge to 100%, and the discharge seems sl... moreI don't charge the battery in no special way I only use stamina mode and screen in full brightness and I use the phone a lot.I love this phone for its big screen and good battery
Siam Phaipi, 19 Jul 2014Bought this phone in August 2013, the phone was superb except for the missing LED flash(may be... moreBogess story, learn how to tell a legitimate story!
If phone bent broke, your fault!
Anonymous, 19 Jul 2014Fake.battery issues, keep asking Non relevant Battery Questions! Since don't even have 4.4.4 ... moreLol maybe I am appearing a bit critical. I can assure you, I have 4.4.4, it is available in New Zealand. I love this phone to bits, I'm just enquiring with fellow users :) I'm not bashing Sony whatsoever.
Bought this phone in August 2013, the phone was superb except for the missing LED flash(may be i'm demanding too much), everything was perfect in perfomance till when i met an accident on December 30th 2013 which cause the phone to bend, the touch and the LED display got broken. Visiting the Sony Authorised service center, told me the would inform about the status within a week or so. So after waiting for 3 months and several days, they call up and inform me that providing a sum of rupees 25K will replace the Phone only, by that time i've already purchased Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom and there's no way i could afford the cost and i had bo choice, ut i stil love the phone, eveyphone i get on hands doesn't surprise me anymore except for this phone. So get for it! you wouldn;t regret it.