T-Mobile G2x - user opinions and reviews

T-Mobile

6.9
6.6
6.5

When the G2x came out 4 years ago (2009) it was one of the fastest phones out there with its duel core processors and nice 8mg pix.camera. I've tried out 8 different phones since and the G2X still holds up as one of the best android phones built. Today you can get faster and bigger but the bang for the buck in the Tmobile G2x is uncomprable. One of the biggest downfalls is the sceen blackout during calls (safty issue with phones) and not comming back while phone is away from face. However I had great success with this phone with very little dropped calls. The other reviewer that complained of dropped calls with this phone must realize that 85% of dropped callls is a network issue and location, not the phone. G2x highly recommended.

• 2013-08-15 19:31
  • jerv

The G2X is the worst phone I ever purchased. The drop calls and lack of internet is shocking. I have contacted T-Mobile twice and both times they gave me Band-Aid results. I have been a T-Mobile member for 6 years, after the problems with this phone and the lack of customer service on their part it is time to switch. Evidently, T-Mobile does not care about their customers.

• 2013-08-08 16:14
  • qTtu

it's battery life is very short .....

• 2013-08-05 20:56
  • S0u6

> In reply to Woozwol @ 2013-07-17 15:09 from 9Cjm - click to readReset your phone is the only fix. It clears all the data and apps though.

• 2013-07-25 15:30
  • TgYa

how to use this mobile in bangladesh? 2 day ago send this mobile form usa.please ans me

• 2013-07-24 10:10
  • PEqh

hey Will you just help me?i just forget my cell's password , what should i do ?

• 2013-07-17 15:09
  • 9Cjm

I think this is the best phone i've used ever and i really like its features and all of its specs. so easy to use and also very fast with its data applications. Thumbs to its cam qualities and all its holographic display. #yolo#

• 2013-07-13 01:52
  • fsT5

I have had this phone for soon to be two years in August 2013. Right now it is July and I am dying to get rid of this phone. The phone is terrible. In the first few months that I owned this phone it was great and could be perfectly described by reading the good comments about this phone. I thought the phone was amazing and the best on the market. But read on. After a few months the phone started having minor problems like slight heating up and occasionally would get stuck. Month by month I came across more and more issues with the phone like having to force close applications more often and often and lagging more and more. A scary thing that happens is that the phone overheats so much that I can't even hold my phone for more then ten seconds. The problems that occur are the same ones just they keep occurring more frequently and will last longer. For example, when I try to open even the dialer to call someone the phone says I have to force close the application. I try opening it up again it does the same thing. I very often can't call people. This happens to not just one application but all of them. Eventually I got so worked up about the phone because I couldn't use anything! I couldn't take the struggles anymore so I took my phone to the T-Mobile store. The people at the store said it could be something with the battery. I took what they had to say into consideration and ordered a new battery. I put the new battery in thinking that it would make the phone usable once again, like it was in the beginning, but it didn't do anything at all. Not one thing was different. I went back to the T-Mobile store once again and said that I did what they said by replacing the battery and that it did nothing. The people at the store used my phone and could also see that the phone was exactly the same as it was before. Then they told me something that they didn't tell me when I bought the phone. The people at store told me that the phone is discontinued and that they do not sell it anymore because so many people have had problems with it. I knew I was hopeless from then on with my T-Mobile G2x. The people at the store gave me a new phone thinking that maybe it was just my phone with the major problems. I got a new G2x in the mail and it was exactly like my first G2x. At first works well then is just difficult, frustrating and sometimes impossible, to use. Now I am just waiting until I can get a phone that works and I am never buying a cell phone from LG again. I hope this review was helpful. These are my experiences with the phone and I am sure many others have had the same problems. In conclusion, the main point of this review is to express my feelings about the T-Mobile G2x and to tell everyone that this phone is awful and is the worst phone I have ever owned. DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE!

• 2013-07-06 02:18
  • 4wRE

I actually traded a phone i had for this one. I've had I-Phones even, but this has got to be my favorite. Easy to use. If i could just find a pick camo case. lol

• 2013-07-04 15:26
  • 89R3

> In reply to Kay C @ 2013-01-19 20:39 from N7AA - click to readi think it does not have fm radio

• 2013-06-07 21:02
  • fu@E

Awesome phone. Unexpectedly good performance.

• 2013-06-01 04:07
  • jTnj

Why do I need to connect to the network before I can use the radio?

• 2013-05-07 15:54
  • N7AT

can it upgrade to Android 4.0 ICS, pls help me

• 2013-05-06 19:37
  • t4sW

Bought the phone almost 2 years ago and continuously had problems with the internet...even wen i traded it for a new g2x. It started freezing up on me a lot after about 1yr. The camera is not as good as u would expect but not horrible either. Audio isnt too bad. This is a VERY DURABLE phone for sure...so if you drop your phone alot then this is for u. Im not entirely impressed but i dont hate it. Rate: 5/10

• 2013-04-28 16:32
  • RbqA

> In reply to ARSHI @ 2013-03-16 05:26 from PDTg - click to readhow did you get the 4.1.1 on your T-mobile G2x...help me out

• 2013-04-22 23:17
  • NuPx

Got this phone from Wind Mobile two Octobers ago. I've long since rooted and installed CyanogenMod 7 and have more recently installed optimized custom kernels.

In terms of stability, I've had more problems at the beginning with CyanogenMod 7 than the original Wind firmware, but over the course of two years my G2x had overall less problems than other ones running stock.

The loudspeaker is crap, and the microphone isn't too good either (it actually records the sound coming out of the loudspeaker when it's activated -_-). Audio-out isn't too bad, and installing Voodoo allows the onboard Wolfson DAC to be exploited. There's still a lot of static coming out through the port and the amping still leaves a lot to be desired compared with the higher-end DAPs.

I've never found the 512MB of RAM to be an issue at all. It should be more than enough for most smartphones.

Battery life is acceptable. Left alone, with a few calls a day, this phone can last 24 hours before needing a recharge.

Occasionally the phone has overheated, freezing the system, but this has been much more common when it was running stock than it was running CyanogenMod 7.
This is not a particularly critical issue. Removing the battery and putting it back allows the phone to restart.

Performance-wise this phone has become a lot faster after the kernel optimizations, and after over-clocking it gets pretty close to the newer quad-core smartphones according to the Vellamo benchmarks. On stock speeds it's already running games smoothly.

I rarely use the camera, but it has proven disappointing. I would not rely on this phone's camera to take good still pictures. Video recording is also pretty bad.

I've yet to use the micro-HDMI port, so I don't really know what to make of it.

Overall, I have to say that while this is a good portable device, it is not a good phone per-se. Also, its potential has been marred by the refusal of Nvidia/LG to release source code for this phone, preventing it from running custom ICS/JB with a functioning antenna. This has forced most unofficial developers to abandon the porting of ICS/JB to this phone and move on to other projects.

• 2013-03-21 19:52
  • IDu8

> In reply to ARSHI @ 2013-03-16 12:10 from PDTg - click to readI don't have Jellybean on my G2X, but having experience with ICS I would say to go to Settings -> Language & Input -> Your current keyboard settings -> Turn off Vibrate on keypress

• 2013-03-21 19:29
  • ID05

> In reply to sam atik @ 2013-03-13 14:01 from K2Gg - click to readselect vivid mode from options.

• 2013-03-21 17:04
  • 6QH6

Hi is it possible to upgrade ics or jelly bean on g2x ? if so how ?

• 2013-03-19 17:14
  • v{Nh

hi can any one kindly tell me hoe to turn off vibration while writing text messages....i m using android 4.1.1 on g2x.....

• 2013-03-16 12:10
  • PDTg
Total of 230 user reviews and opinions for T-Mobile G2x.