T-Mobile G2x - user opinions and reviews

T-Mobile

6.9
6.6
6.5

> In reply to Tamz_gangsta @ 2011-05-26 13:41 from 3Jek - click to readIts the T-mobile US version of the LG Optimus 2x. Pratically identical and the 2x is available in the UK.

• 2011-06-02 14:02
  • pSje

the phone doesnt have an FM Radio.. or at least none that i see

• 2011-06-01 15:00
  • kaJs

This phone rocks.blows my sgs away... No reboots, no screen of death, battery is alright, phone is wicked fast and has a lot of support..... I recommend this to anyone....

• 2011-05-29 01:07
  • 7ywV

> In reply to KasunDT @ 2011-05-23 03:47 from PEdE - click to readgalaxy s 2

• 2011-05-27 06:02
  • kh8Y

can someone please help me!!! i can't find this phone in the UK and i searched everywhere i reaaly want this phone, can someone please guide me and give me any related information. thanx

• 2011-05-26 13:41
  • 3Jek

> In reply to KasunDT @ 2011-05-23 03:47 from PEdE - click to readIf you want an unlocked phone, go with the LG 2x

If you want better feature (and bloatware unfortunately), go with the G2x.

Relatively they are identical other then some differences in the O/S UI design.

You can find both phones on GSMarena. Compare them. They are not much different at all but, to answer your question.

The T-mobile G2x is better. It is very easy to Root, O/S mods are already out via XDA Dev site. If you know how to root and you've gone through everything I've done with it, you can remove the bloatware if you wish and unlock the Data throttling for maximum Down/Up bandwidth B-)

Cheers!

• 2011-05-23 13:28

What is the best phone?
LG Optimus2x or T-mobile G2x?
any recommendations???

• 2011-05-23 03:47
  • PEdE

Do Tmobile phone supports 3G in india? As the have 2100/1700mhz freuency.... is the g2x a world phone? meaning, will it word on every carrier that supports 2100mhz 3g band?
PLease help

• 2011-05-22 23:29
  • wdKT

I got the phone from Costco with a coupon for $250 off plus $50 rebate. So I'm paying only $138 for this (include tax after rebate). For this price, I've a 4G phone, front and rear cam, 8mp rear cam, dual core cpu, nVidia Tegra, dts Ultra, HDMI output and a 4" HD screen. I can't complain more with this phone when I paid more for my darn old G1 with less feature and slow as hell. It even has more feature than the G2 which I'm glad I didn't get that.

The cons are battery life like the other said. Standby time is good but once you browse the web or stream video/audio it drain very fast. Also, there's too much useless app installed by T-Mobile. I've to run an app to kill the useless app to free up the ram. I hope people on XDA will have new rom for this soon (haven't check yet)

For people having problem with 4G, make sure you're using the new sim card. My old sim card doesn't work with 4G. I've to get new sim from T-Mobile store to make it work. Once new sim installed, 4G working flawlessly.

• 2011-05-22 19:57
  • j@kN

> In reply to fcodaniel @ 2011-05-18 20:26 from PtQj - click to read@fcodaniel

That's neat! Did not know that!

::::UPDATE::::
Now, for the WiFi Tethering and USB Tethering.... -_-

It does so appear that T-mobile is governing this new phone or I would think they are?

In my last comment regarding the WiFi Tethering being throttled, I tried the option when I was down in Greensboro, NC. The WiFi Sharing worked great there but.... I am home now in Canton, OH.

Phone SpeedTest.net detects up to 6.5mbps, (That's what I got highest after multiple tests).

PC SpeedTest.net (with WiFi Tethering) detected nothing ("NOTHING") higher than .74kbps.
(While Phone SpeedTest.net still continues to detect previous mentioned speeds)....
PC SpeedTest.net (with USB Tethering) detected 7.89kbps
(7mbs a second!).

I'm not sure if trying Wifi Sharing again after USB tethering will show a change... I'm just content now that the WiFi Tethering option is being throttled by T-mobile deliberately, for whatever reason.. depending on the region where you live and have 4G speeds, like myself.

Another reason why I think the phone never came with USB drivers!!!! I had to scurvy through forums to find out you have to download them from LG's website.

huh... anyway.. so... USB Tethering works awesome for my laptop whereas, WiFi Tethering seems to only work (at 4G speeds), when it wants to.

-Period-

• 2011-05-22 13:10
  • RbqC

hey guys need help buying the phone. can some1 let me know which phone is overall good samsung galaxy s4g or Tmobile g2x

• 2011-05-19 18:20
  • IEqF

It is important to indicate that for this device, there is an innovation in the market, the first intelligent cell phone, which brings DTS Mobile Ultra , this I can see from the following web address:

This is impressive because the sound that offers no comparison with any other on the market.
Greetings

• 2011-05-18 20:26
  • PtQj
  • F

> In reply to eyepoop @ 2011-05-12 15:21 from Rbqd - click to readActually now, in junction with the unusual speed throttling while WiFi tethering, the phone seems to work great in Greensboro, NC with WiFi Sharing on. That is strange though I guess T-mobile regulates it in certain areas maybe? No matter, I got both usb and wireless to take advantage of.

Still mad this phone doesn't have a thumb cursor... makes mobile browsing so much easier!

• 2011-05-16 02:06
  • RbqJ
  • F

So far, I think the phone is okay. It does lack some features that my MyTouch4G (HTC Glacier) had.
I'm not sure if the HDMI output feature will ever be handy but, a HDMI input would be nice.
Phone ships without stereo/Mic earbuds and does not come with an external SDcard. I wasn't very pleased with the idea of an internal SD card thats not customizable within the phone.

The portable WiFi.Hotspots feature completely sucks compaired to the HTC Glacier (MyTouch4G). Im a truck driver so, I travel to many cities with 4G. I run the SpeedTest app on the phone with both WiFi sharing on/off and get normal 4G speeds whereas on my brand new Toshiba X505 laptop, the speedtest from the laptop browser shows 2.5G speeds (.74mbps down) (1.2mbps up) (for an example).
I ran speedtest again on phone both ways and then tethering USB. This time on laptop I was achieving same or near speeds.
Didn't have that problem with the MyTouch4G.

Also, LG neglected to include device drivers on the internal memory. Had to use phone to download the 32mb file. Once installed on PC, USB tethering worked flawlessly.

Phone does not come with a thumb cursor. Which really sucks because I'm typing this review using this phone right now and, it's giving me a headache with the uber Bi-polar screen sensitivity.

Don't like the Gorilla glass neither. Much to slick and smooth would probably explain the uber touch issue.

Battery life is a joke. It does have dual-core...etc. yes but, I think they could have packed a better battery for it though. Remember capitalism always ruins things when greed gets in the way.

PROS:
Camera/Video Front camera.
Dual core CPU.
nVidia Tegra2.
Size/weight.

Cons:
Bi-Polar screen sensitivity.
No thumb cursor.
Battery life.
Lousy loud speaker.
No extra accessories included (phone/charger only).

Overall, I miss my MyTouch4G.

• 2011-05-12 15:21
  • Rbqd

This phone does NOT I repeat does NOT have a FM Radio!

• 2011-05-12 14:38
  • 01dn
  • F

> In reply to mikeYmike @ 2011-04-28 19:48 from j}E{ - click to readIf TOGGLE SETTINGS is still in the Android market, download that. Its the best I've seen to close apps. :)

• 2011-05-12 04:46
  • RbXn

> In reply to DarknessTM @ 2011-05-08 06:32 from q{TG - click to readI'm pretty sure the phone auto detects the speed. it can only display 2g, 3g or 4g on the status bar. Seeing how it is more than just 3g, the phone is displaying 4g.

I think the issue is your cell phone provider throttling you down.

I have done speed tests in a "4g" enviornment and got 5mbps on the down where in the same location with the HTC G2 i only got about 2.5mbps.

Newer 4G phones are capable of recieving over 14mbps. Obviously we are all being throttled at some level.

• 2011-05-10 18:23
  • kWdY

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2011-05-09 00:30 from k2GP - click to readIF you buy a phone at full retail or an upgrade (after 90 days) they have to give you an unlock code. Otherwise it is a monopoly.

The only catch is that you probably need an active tmobile account.

• 2011-05-10 18:11
  • kWdY

when does the upgrade for 2.3 come out? nd how do i get it?

• 2011-05-09 08:36
  • RbqC

> In reply to mubeen316 @ 2011-05-02 17:57 from wdKT - click to readnothing is free

they wont give you the unlock codes,because they dont encourage it.

but there are third party vendors that will ulock them for u for a fee

• 2011-05-09 00:30
  • k2GP
Total of 235 user reviews and opinions for T-Mobile G2x.