T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide - user opinions and reviews

T-Mobile

7.2
7.3
7.3

I've had this phone and the G2 and my wife has the myTouch 3G slide. This phone probably has a slight edge over the 3G slide, but the G2 is a much better phone all around.

The WiFi hotspot works with the G2 -- it doesn't with the 4G slide.

The G2 doesn't crash, the 4G slide, like the 3G slide, crashes every couple weeks.

The G2 has a relatively clean software install, while the 4G slide and 3G slide has some awful mods to the base Android.

All have pretty bad battery life out of the box. The 4G slide has an advantage here because the high capacity after market batteries are about $15 rather than $50 for the Sanyo battery for the G2 and 3G slide.

The 4G slide advertisements and even some reviews talk about how fast the camera is. It is extremely slow in high res mode and on par with the G2 in low res mode. The cameras are fine as point-n-click cameras, but the small sensor and lens mean the extra mega-pixels in high res mode are wasted anyway.

All have decent keyboards, but they are no G1 keyboards.

The 4G slide feels a little snappier than the G2, as you would expect from the specs; but this in no way makes up for its deficiencies with respect to the G2.

The 4G slide may be a little better than the 3G slide overall, but unless you have a real problem with the keyboard pop-out mechanism on the G2 go with that one and save yourself some headaches.

• 2011-11-03 21:38
  • qbA6

loved my HTC touchpro 2 3g, which was Windows Mobile. Not loving the Droid experience on the MyTouch 4G slide, tho it did come with 2.3.4 Honeycomb. Not user friendly so far; especially trying to type in URLs without arrow keys; although it is supposed to do a cursor focus like an iPad when I press and hold, instead it opens a different menu. I can't see all notifications such as missed calls at a glance. The 8 MP camera takes great photos, but there seems to be no menu options for sending them via email or Facebook. Facebook seemed to be either trying to import all my Friends to contacts or trying to ask me to choose friends to send to while I was trying to upload a photo. Email and other apps crash often, and reporting an incident is a time-consuming chore requiring 3-4 clicks to agree to user agreement first, each time. Keyboard--the reason I chose this phone--is a disappointment. HTC should have retained the dedicated 5th number row, and keys are oddly hard to reach with my somewhat small hands--tho I forget that I now have two alt keys. I miss arrow keys for fixing typos (I don't think the cursor rocker button acts that way), and the keys are too slippery, set too flat and also unresponsive, so that it is hard to tell whether you have hit it hard enough. Should I have gone with the Motorola droid 3? I'll still keep it over an iPhone or iPad any day tho.

• 2011-11-02 17:38
  • yv72

what's up with the tiny display

• 2011-10-28 02:04
  • eftB

> In reply to mancimfcfan @ 2011-09-12 19:08 from 39yv - click to readTechnically speaking yes it has the capiblities to work worldwide. But you will need to have it unlocked.

• 2011-10-10 06:33
  • Yad4

> In reply to mancimfcfan @ 2011-09-12 19:08 from 39yv - click to readIt seems a nice phone. I am gonna gift it to my sis. and yes it is a gsm phone will work in europe, asia and America

• 2011-10-04 03:54
  • kBxm

> In reply to gigi @ 2011-09-10 11:42 from HHHH - click to readhey even i m wondering the same....

• 2011-09-26 18:32
  • vw6y

If I buy this phone online will it work properly in the uk?

• 2011-09-12 19:08
  • 39yv

> In reply to khem @ 2011-07-30 15:11 from PZGk - click to readi dont know who is using your touch slide

• 2011-09-12 18:13
  • ibn2

why is this so cheap?

• 2011-09-10 11:42
  • HHHH

no graphics processor?

• 2011-09-09 16:10
  • RbXv

if i get this phone and unlock it, will it work on bell canada (Canadian carrier) and if i do, will it still be unlocked after a software update?

anyone can answer at least of one of those i would be very grateful

• 2011-08-02 03:13
  • q{wh

hello everybody .....greeting
can i please advice me. who is using my touch slider
how is the Qwerty keypad ? i see in You Tube i don t thing so keypad is comparable for work. i am right now using my-touch 4g what is deferent my-touch slider and my touch.
thanks
khem

• 2011-07-30 15:11
  • PZGk

Do you know if this model from HTC will be available in Europe?

• 2011-07-27 12:36
  • iB9x

I had my touch 4g, when my touch slide came out the thing I don't like a keyboard & it should be 4.0 display.the front side same as my touch 4g and I don't like the home buttons it should be touch button like a other HTC phone. Becz I had my touch 4g the button some time don't work and making noises when u press it.and one more thing, the dust inside the screen and the front camera. How I clean it.

• 2011-07-24 00:13
  • 49xm

This is exactly the kind of phone I am looking for. Will it be available in the uk?

• 2011-07-23 10:26
  • 39yC

I'm thinking that in terms of the specs, they leave a lot to be desired simply to spark interest. 4G slide being a next gen phone they will improve on it's former's. Simply sit back for a few more weeks and wait, because the 4G slide like all phones will reveal their secrets once our ever pliant fingers get ahold of them. ;)

• 2011-07-20 21:47
  • jZcQ

> In reply to Homer @ 2011-07-11 18:15 from b9}h - click to readthat's the purpose of root, where there are apps that allow you to force even a non-apk app into an external storage. Go to xda-dev .com for more details. Also since the standard myt4g is rooted there should be no issue with a pera root on this one

• 2011-07-20 21:38
  • jZcQ

Making a video on my touch u can't pause it & u can't edit video. I hope they add this stuff.

• 2011-07-17 22:11
  • 49xm

hi,
when will u launch this cell, almost july is begining

• 2011-07-13 08:55
  • vw6y

There is no mention of the amount of internal storage. Why? Since 99% of apps wont load to external that could be a serious problem.

• 2011-07-11 18:15
  • b9}h
Total of 94 user reviews and opinions for T-Mobile myTouch 4G Slide.