ZTE Open - user opinions and reviews

ZTE

6.4
6.1
6.4

> In reply to hemelskonijn @ 2014-07-27 22:43 from pHJ@ - click to readhttps://marketplace.firefox.com/app/loqui?src=se­arch

Use the above app to access whatsapp face book and more services

• 2014-08-23 06:46
  • rAfX

> In reply to Gova @ 2014-07-16 13:34 from tU6u - click to readThere is as of yet no official whatsapp client for FF-OS however there are some alternatives. Personally i use A2Connect and i have no issues communicating with my whatsapp friends.

• 2014-07-27 22:43
  • pHJ@

does watsapp work on this phone???

• 2014-07-16 13:34
  • tU6u

Cool

• 2014-05-06 23:09
  • 3Je9

A nice simple, intuitive mobile telephone. It does what it says "on the tin."

• 2014-02-02 19:41
  • d@Ce

I would gladly buy this phone from you. Game?

• 2013-12-07 19:47
  • qbr%

This phone does not claim to be of the highest specification. For what it is it performs well. The initial applications are basic but can be added to from the market place.

• 2013-12-04 16:27
  • ncPn

I have it, so awesome, if update software them..could winover to Android!!

• 2013-11-27 03:01
  • L5xT

I Don't like this phone. It is complicated and slow.
I kept it to long to send it back. I would rather have a bag phone. I hope it sinks to the bottom of the river when I throw it in. To prove I own this phone the IMEI is 865460010289205 Come on ZTE scrap this piece of junk.
I had another ZTE phone loved it.

• 2013-11-14 00:39
  • 44%Y

Very bad start, at least they could have also released a phone with double the specifications for the developed markets. The design is very round and does not look good. the color is very bright and not everyone likes it. Don't buy this phone. You will only encourage it. If this is based only on web, then you need a plan to have a lot of data?

• 2013-11-07 17:31
  • IkHf

I had to send it back. ZTE is not providing updates to this phone. Firefox 1.1 has been out for two months, nothing from ZTE, no support from Mozilla, unofficial builds of 1.1 by third parties may _brick_ the phone. This is NOT a good start for FirefoxOS. As a developer, I am supposed to be the target demographic for this phone, but ZTE's lack of updates is concerning. Save your $$$, get the Geeksphone, or the LG Fireweb instead.

• 2013-10-26 18:12
  • jHSj

I don't mind the low specs for a low price, but the huge radius on the rounded corners and the lifeguard orange colour are so ugly. I'd like to have more colour choices and a more "blocky" look.

• 2013-09-27 19:18
  • 3n@P

Just gave the ZTE Open a test run with an eye, or should I say EAR, to performance. When it comes to screens and swipe functionality, etc. let's face it, a smartphone is a smartphone. We figure stuff out. What we can't learn to live with is bad audio quality.

THANKFULLY, this phone passes audio quality spec tests (hooked it up to some Sony monitoring gear I use in broadcast work, spec against an Apple iPhone 5 and older model Sony Ericsson Experia S12 I have lying around). Not too bad! Wouldn't recommend the LTE Open as a studio music recorder/player, but noise levels are fairly low and the fidelity works for casual listening. Next step: The Club test, running tracks in place of the iPhone we use now!

Raggles,
San Francisco

• 2013-09-26 01:11
  • 4MXU

It's impossible to write a review of this phone without finding what you are really reviewing is Firefox OS.

The hardware, like the specifications suggest, is adaquate. Like a smart yet bored C student, the phone passes, but you can tell the OS gives hints of a quiet brilliant potential inside. Battery life is average. The screen is average. The camera is average. The speaker and microphone are average. In this since the phone is barely worth reviewing in that the charts above have already told you what you need to know.

But then we come to the Operating System. This is what is different. This is what has a few geeky souls going against their specification-addled brains to buy this average phone. So let's get on with that.

The phone ships with version 1.0. There is a 1.1 update that addresses speed but you'll have to wait until ZTE pushes that out. As it is, there is minimal lag with version 1.0 on this device.

The Phone and texting functionality work well as expected.

Unless an app is using it, WiFi turns off when the device goes to sleep. This is annoying as I don't have a data plan but spend 90% of my day sitting next to a wireless router. This means to see if I have gotten any new email, I must wake the device, wait for the WiFi to connect, start the email app, and then refresh the app, and then scroll to the top to see any new messages.

The built-in email application does what is supposed to do. It does not follow the threaded, conversation style formatting that gmail uses, however. So if you have a long conversation going the text gets pretty small so it can fit in all of the replies.

The music player works. It tries to be smart about it and displays artists as tiles that you scroll through. Lag is mostly apparent here if your music collection is huge.

The Firefox OS Marketplace is mostly a bare cupboard. But this is inherent for any new mobile operating system. This ecosystem hasn't bloomed yet, and will not ever be like iTunes or the Google Play store, but I have the feeling something will become of it.

Internet browsing turned out to be surprisingly flaky. One would assume if the OS is named after your flagship browser, it ought to work well on the mobile side as well as the desktop side. Sites like realtor.com and tripadvisor don't really work. Other sites don't yet recognize the brower as a mobile one, so you end up zooming a lot.

All in all, this phone is priced right at $80. Firefox OS is immensly promising and as long as ZTE rolls out updates in a timely manner, the Open is a perfect vessel to enjoy being part of this new ecosystem as it grows.

• 2013-08-27 17:27
  • kRLg

Able to access web sites but can't go any deeper within those sites. For example, Realtor.com, then try to enter search perimeters and it's a no-go. Dead in the water. Very frustrating. Phones are going back.

• 2013-08-24 19:31
  • I5P%

this is very good to see firefox in mobile os

plz update or upgrade to

1gb ram
16gb memory
capacitive tuch
4g
battry 3000mah to 5000mah]
all file support like hd video ,pdf , zip ,office document
bluetooth 4, usb3 , nfc etc

i think this os will beat android os

plz do not beat wp8 becase this os is very poor os till date

• 2013-08-23 07:39
  • U{yV

> In reply to Buttons Up @ 2013-08-22 17:56 from 9EXW - click to readThanks ... not too encouraging findings, I must say. But this is an OS under construction. May be the OTAs will gradually improve it. I do not mind though the likeness to Symbian (is was one of the simplest OSes ever). Regarding the speed/ laggyness, well it is an entry level phone (it's a ZTE after all!), so expected.

Hope the battery consumption is decent.

• 2013-08-23 06:52
  • tUdY

> In reply to Debb @ 2013-08-22 12:18 from tUdY - click to readHi Debb. Having owned and used the phone for 24 hours now, I could say that it somehow feels as if I was using a phone with a Symbian OS. If you have been accustomed to high-end smartphones, you would definitely notice the sluggishness.

The web browser is decent, but while browsing I would often find myself tapping on the screen several times before something actually happens. Either it's because of the phone being slow or because there's something wrong with the screen, I just don't know. Might be the latter because I would often make typos while composing a text message when I would normally be spot on with my other phone.

Was advertised as able to handle 32GB micro sd cards so I put one in. Put music on the memory card, about 800+ tracks. The music player refreshed afterwards and showed the right number of tracks. The problem is that the music player crashes 5 to 10 seconds into any track.

Speaker seems to be loud. Call quality is clear for me.

That is all I can say about the ZTE Open right now. But I could definitely say that the fOS needs to be improved still, as features look half-baked to me.

• 2013-08-22 17:56
  • 9EXW

Review please ... from anyone owning this phone ... battery life, lags if any, screen resolution, speakers, reception ...

• 2013-08-22 12:18
  • tUdY

As everybody says, it's an entry level phone and it's not overpriced.

Can anybody tell me how many colours are in the screen? Is it 65k, 256k, 16M?

I can't find this info anywhere on the web.

• 2013-08-21 14:42
  • kiQ2
Total of 52 user reviews and opinions for ZTE Open.