For a discounted price of $250 - $350 it's worth considering. Now that the company is up for sale or more likely folding all together, I decided to buy the device. Only 150,000 have been sold and this looks highly likely to be the only run. Essential 2 development has been cancelled. I won't be using the device, it's just not enough phone for me. It will stay in it's unopened packaging as a collector's item. Essential had a good concept but they chocked right out of the gate. The release order process was plagued with poor customer response due to staffing. Customers information was inadvertently release. Build quality wasn't very good and for $700.00 it wasn't feature packed. Once the call reception and camera issues became widely acknowledged Essential was forced to lower the price to $500 and then fire sale at $250. By that time the writing was on the wall and Essential's cash burn became prohibitive. I bought it pretty cheap, color white, inbox, new. I collect a number of things and expect to make a profit someday. Wish I could find the Limited Edition Ocean Depths, one just sold in ebay for $900!
Screen uses PWM to produce flicker which gives eyestrain and headaches to some. Not for me.
Some decent deals for this phone come and go on Swappa. Was almost sold on getting one but then read the conflicting reviews regarding signal/reception issues. It seems they are rampant in some cases and others seem to have good fortune with it. Alot of info on xda concerning this. Some saw no change after recent update, some better & some worse. Either way, it's clearly a known issue & is a deal breaker for me. Not ideal when you have to consider this in buying a new device.
naap51d, 12 Aug 2018So far, so good. Amazingly FAST and responsive. Screen is crystal clear. I did make one mis... moreWell, not all is good. After trying to figure out the signal strength problem, doing a search, I found it's a KNOWN issue that their are problems with the antenna(s) inside the PH-1 that cause poor signal reception. Buyer beware.
It's a backup phone for me, not that big of a deal, but the signal strength difference between my Mate9 and the PH-1 is striking.
Subi the dog, 07 Aug 2018Hey, Can anyone tell me how long the battery lasts. Currently using mi a1. Thanks I get about 14 hours / day of moderate usage. Heavy usage (no gaming) about 9.
So far, so good. Amazingly FAST and responsive. Screen is crystal clear. I did make one mistake though. I didn't know that pairing this with my Samsung G3 watch would require it to reset itself to default. My bad...you can only pair it to ONE phone. Also, the default samsung apps won't work, you have to download the one's you can find on XDA to get it to work, but it worked perfectly. Running Nova Prime, got it to work as well. Battery good, signal good. The only thing to get use to is coming from the larger screen of the Huawei Mate 9 which is about the same in height, but WIDER than the essential, not to mention the resolution, makes the keyboard a bit smaller for my "fat fingers" on the keys.
So far, very good. Just picked one up from Best Buy. Android 9 loaded right up. As for the signal strength, T-Mobile in my office is actually better than my old LG V20 managed. I'm pretty satisfied
If this phone is just 250$ I wouldn't pass but here second hand cost 330$ almost reach LG v30+ 380$ and consider op5t 400$ with 8gb ram. Not sure if it is worth buying
CharlieB, 08 Aug 2018Just got it a couple of weeks ago... I bought it through Amazon's Prime day at 250 USD... Was ... moreNice.. Sadly I was too late to realize the sale :(
I might still get it at 330$. Btw, Which color do you have? If it's Halo Gray, can you confirm whether the back is Coated or Sand-blasted type? And what about the side titanium: does it scuff/scratch easily? I heard that it was less durable than Black Moon.
Just got it a couple of weeks ago... I bought it through Amazon's Prime day at 250 USD... Was impossible to pass! I had been looking at this since launch, but ended up buying at that time the One Plus 5, which was (and still is) a good phone... But again, at 250, I had to give it a shot.
I'm something of an OS freak, so I'm looking for ways to get the latest version ASAP. I have to say I'm really impressed! Yesterday (Aug 6) I saw the announcement of Android P, and how Pixel phones would get it first... Well, a couple of hours later... I got the OTA update! Yes, I've been using Android P since yesterday. Nothing short of impressive!.
With regards to the phone build... And coming from an iPhone4, 5S, 6, and from Nexus 5 and Nexus 5X, several Samsungs (trash)... I can honestly say... The build is something else. Nothing (that includes iphones X, 8, etc) comes close! Great quality! Great feel. It's a shame that they've started to talk about selling the company and cancelling the Essential Phone 2... It is truly a fantastic phone. Yes, the camera has its issues (I'm not a pro with regards to photos) and understand that there are better cameras out there. For me, I should say, so far so good...
I wish Essential would reconsider, and continue to push forward with the original project. If they were able to manufacture this phone on their FIRST try... I can only imagine what they would accomplish in subsequent iterations... Amazing phone!
Well, Amazon dropped the price again, $329...couldn't pass it up, will be here next week.
Sigh....5 years of 4,000mAH battery Huawei's, gonna be hard to give that up.
Can anyone tell me how long the battery lasts. Currently using mi a1.
Best smarthphone for the price here are the reasons i have
- 128Gb of memory make me forget that it doesn´t have microSD slot
- Descent battery for average daily use
- The most premium materials you can have
- Perfomance and updates like Google pixel's
The only flaw, but can be fixed, is the camera, after installing the google pixel camera app ,i saw a really good improvement in overall, and now i can use the best portrait mode right now (Google pixel's one) in front facing camera and back one.
would be too dificult to be more satisfied with it
I have been so sceptic about buying this phone reading all the bad reviews. However, the price and the looks were so tempting that I took a dig for USD 300. After a month of use, I can strongly say that the bad publicity by media (bought??) or by immature users who want sky at their feet, killed this fantastic phone. Here are my observations on the phone:
1. Network Signal: Search websites and you will find out -90dBM is regarded as a good signal and this is what I get inside my home which has pathetic connectivity issue for all carriers. What you say guys about poor network if I get better than -90 dBM on my phone?
2. Camera: If I am using the improved camera with July 2018 update, I can not comment on the previous issues. However, this improved one is almost fantastic. I treat my mobile different from a mainstream camera, however, this phone just works well.
3. Speaker quality: The best among the previous phones I have had - Samsung, Nokia, Redmi. And I believe everyone can swear with the speaker quality of the phones that I mentioned.
4. Built: No second opinion about it - Simply Fantastic!!
5. Physical Specs: Its thin and I didnt get comfortable with the weight of the phone. Resolved the issue with a good quality case. The phone feels solid in hands while using.
6. Software and processing speed: Snapdragon 835 does not let you down ever. Superb!!
7. USB C and 3.5 mm jack: The world is moving to USB C, so let us accept it. Absency of 3.5 mm jack is an issue for me, but I resolved it with a bluetooth.
8. Expandable memory - Who cares if you have 120 GB of space free. That does not meet the requirement of lifetime, but I will definitely need to keep deleting videos. With earlier 32 GB phones, this activity was carried out once in 3 months, now probably for an year, I will be relieved. If I keep the phone for 2 years, probably I will need 3 attempts most. Or why bother, just take a back up connecting with your computer. No Big Deal!!
9. Price: Simply mouthwatering. Get this at the lowest prices ever.
There is no match to this phone at this price point. I have never ever written a review for any phone that I used, but buying this after so poor opinions, I thought to educate others.
Go for it!! You are going to thank me for your buying decision.
I owned the PH-1 at one point. It is stated to have stereo speakers. However I did not think so. Based on my usage I could not hear it producing sound via Right and Left outputs only the bottom speaker. Is this true?
$249.99 USD on Amazon!!!!