At last, this is not a recommended phone to have.
Mine has broken few years ago, with the third replacement unit, I gave up when it is broken and goes with a new phone, I actually get a Xiaomi Mi Max that goes far much better than this, I prefer larger screen phone.
At the time of buying, at around $250, it is a steal. However, many thing on it is a no go.
It heats up easily and drain battery until no end.
It's officially just being updated to Android 4.2.2, nothing more. It got dual speaker on the right sides, but the sound quality is among the worst. Camera has fancy quadruple LED lights, but camera quality is bad.
The only thing appreciated is its larger 6" screen, and its near stock Android experience, which become a huge fans favorite for years to come, but not at year 2013. It is being complained of being too plain, not even has a file manager and gallery app. The last moment I have with this phone is the phone heat up so much until the board or wire broken, then it never came alive again.
I wouldn't suggest any Acer phone anymore.
AnonD-554689, 30 Jun 2016If you honestly think that the Acer Liquid S2 is better than a One Plus One, you should defini... moreWell, you can continue saying Oneplus One beat out by Oneplus Two, Oneplus 3, and any other newer phone.
I own both, and the S2 is the older phone, with inferior spec, but it is also the one that is much more stable, typically zero bugs. The Oneplus One always introduce new bugs upon new updates.
Yes, Oneplus One do get Android 6.0, but it doesn't improve on stability, it often restart itself, then many apps crash. For this S2? Oh my, I load it up with full apps, even side loaded many apps which it doesn't support on apps store, but I can run those without any issue. Miracle? I don't know.
I plug in 64GB Micro SD card on the S2, which literally has more storage than a fixed Oneplus One, I call this a draw.
Not saying Oneplus One is very bad, but certainly not the best. It worry me more than the S2. Not typically a fan boy, I am not geeky as those who like to flash with custom ROM on Oneplus One, I am just a normal user that like to stick with their original ROM and know side load trick.
At the time owning both phones, the S2 is the cheaper one after price drop purchase, and it certainly earn my respect as the better value phone than the more problematic Oneplus.
Anonymous , 18 Jun 2016Seems I'm the only user that still use this phone. Still, at this time, this phone still beat ... moreIf you honestly think that the Acer Liquid S2 is better than a One Plus One, you should definitely consider renewing your eyewear. 2GB of RAM vs 3GB of RAM, same camera capabilities if not more (the OP1 records 4092x2160 while the S2 records 3840x2160), has more updated OS, 64GB option and looks way better IMO. So I'd say you're just a fanboy of your own casebadge and I'd sink down a bit because the reality is on a lower shelf than you put it.
Seems I'm the only user that still use this phone. Still, at this time, this phone still beat out Oneplus One, and those Xiaomi Mi4 and Mi3 in term of value. For starter, I bought it when it's price dropped till 20% cheaper than Oneplus One, and till now, Oneplus X. I mainly use this phone for gaming and multimedia, mainly because of it's 6 inch screen. Still stick to Android 4.2.2, nothing update from Acer. Another thing is, while cheap, this thing still packing Micro SD slot. I already get used to this phone. Actually satisfied with it, despite it's speaker is bad, and camera is bad.
D.T.U, 09 Jun 2016apart from acer company is ther anywhere i can repair cracked screen on my acer liquid s2 I don't think there is shop can repair the crack screen. This is because this phone is so rare that even normal shop don't know how to repair this phone. There might be spare part sold on various online,but I do doubt those part can be used. Still, stick to Acer for their genuine support. Mine, at least I'm satisfied with them in my country, they replace my Liquid S2 with new unit without question,this is the third Liquid S2 with me for more than 8 months.
apart from acer company is ther anywhere i can repair cracked screen on my acer liquid s2
Used after one year. This is Acer Android phone that fail to be their flagship.
Totally no support from Acer, only Android 4.2.2.
Very poor camera, and speaker, very bad battery life, overheating. Screen also of lowend with yellow backlight.
Better buy Samsung Galaxy Note 3 than this piece of crap.
It's price is just a bit cheaper than Note 3 at launch, but everything from it just feel like a midrange offering, but with highend processor, 1080p screen. Internal only 16GB, 2GB RAM. Nothing much can compete.
Again, quite here.
Used for another 3 month, no breakdown.
2. Battery drain，poor battery
3. Poor camera
4. Poor speaker.
But performance wise, still much faster than the Mediatek Helio X10 processor, faster than Intel Z3580 processor, and beat all Snapdragon 615, eventhough those processor are capable of far better benchmark score than this SD800.
Finally get back a replacement unit. Not a new unit, but similar used unit.
I think the overheating is making the phone broken.
If I gaming on something like Asphalt 8 or Real Racing 3, the phone heat up until 52 celcius.
After that, the heat will damage the phone component.
I think the 1st unit that died is because of overheating, causing motherboard failure.
The 2nd unit that died is because of overheating on LCD screen until the wire broken.
Now I am well aware on phone over heating. Excessive heating will cause the phone broken.
I should use it for light gaming and web browsing only.
By the end of November 2015, this phone is being used for 1 year.
I hope this one won't die easily.
After using the new replacement phone for one month, this phone died again.
This time is more serious, the screen itself start black out 1st, leaving the phone still alive.
The 3 touch sensitive hardware key still light up, but I can't use the phone anymore without the screen. I manage to connect the phone to computer to copy out all the important stuff.
After a few minute, the phone keep restarting itself without the screen on, and eventually died away after several restart.
Now, it can't turn on any more, no notification LED light up when plug in charger.
Going to return to service center again. Won't advice people to buy Acer phone again.
After around 3weeks, I get my broken phone back. To my surprise, Acer replace a new phone for me without any charge.
Well, good news is I get the new phone, bad news is it still a phone with issue. Speaker still low, battery drain fast, camera is below average.
Considered good service for replacing my phone, but all the data inside that phone is gone.
Finally, this phone is dead.
The phone suddenly drain all the battery, and won't charge if plug in to charger.
Suspect is battery issue, or board issue.
The power button become unresponsive after long use.
Sending to service center for repair.
Feel disappoint to this phone.
To be fair comparison, the similar timeline phone, such as Samsung Galaxy Note 3, HTC One Max, Sony Xperia Z Ultra, LG G Pro 2, would be the much better phone than this.
After 8 month of usage, battery life start decreasing a lot, almost heavy use cannot last a day.
Use 3rd party camera apps to improve image quality.
The default camera apps produce image that is far too grainy in low light condition.
The power button start to loosen, a bit hard to turn on the phone.
Phone over heating to 50 degree Celsius under heavy game, and usage.
The phone also over heating if move huge file from internal memory to Micro SD card.
Other than those problem, so far the phone performance is very satisfied, very minimal lag, no hang, no sudden shutdown, no auto restart, very fast even loaded with many task, and very stable even occupy internal storage with full apps. Thanks to the Snapdragon 800 processor.
This is the last good phone ever produced by Acer. Other newer Acer phone now using the cheaper MTK processor, is not well perform compare to this.
Overall, a very under rated phone, which price drop until cheaper than Oneplus One.
And the sad truth is, Acer is giving up this phone due to poor sales, no OS update and not much accessory being made.
Hope Acer can come back with a much better phone, with high spec Snapdragon processor, same high quality screen, and with better camera and speaker.
Sadly, Acer not going to update the Android OS on this phone.
It is stuck with the dated version 4.2.2, with some of the software bugs.
Stay away from this phone, even though now it is selling in a very attractive price.
Get a phone from establish brand (Samsung, LG, Sony, HTC, Huawei, Oppo) rather than a budget minded brand, where establish brand will still invest on supporting the old phone in term of software, but other brand just abandon the old model all together.
Correction, the supplied earphone is very good.
The only let down by this phone is the poor external speaker, which is shame to bear the Dolby Digital Plus trademark.
After I have used this phone for almost 2 months, here's are my thought. But you won't really need to bother about it, as this phone won't be sold any more. The phone is consider outdated, other better phone are around for sometime.
1. No bloatware. Yes. This is the no frill experience you get from an Android device, with just minor skinning on top of original OS. Others just stay faithful to the original vanilla Android. You get more than 12GB user usable storage on internal 16GB storage.
2. The battery life is very good. Given the bigger screen. I turn on 4G for whole day, with 3300mah battery, it easily can last for one day on normal use.
3. It has FM radio on board. I don't use the feature, anyway.
1. The speaker is among the worst among the crowd, big disappointment here. Speaker volume is very low, and the sound quality is very worse, very muddy sound
2. Not very user friendly, if you are coming from other phone brand, like Samsung. But, you still can reach the feature, just that you cannot direct access to them, you have to go into setting to do all that stuff.
3. The capacitive button is not that responsive. I'm coming from a user using on screen button and physical button. But, you will get use to that soon. Just you may feel annoying if those button is less responsive than other kind of button.
4. The camera is also a big disappointment as well. It is better than a 8MP camera with capturing more detail, but it cannot compete with other 13MP camera on other brand phone. Image detail is not the best, the auto focus feature cannot work most of the time on close object. You have to touch for many time to get focus on closer object. Even you turn on "Macro Focus" feature, it just can't focus.
5. The supplied ear phone is just bad as well.
Neutral (more on personal preference)
1. The 1080p screen actually is pretty good, but the screen backlight is using a warm color LED, so you will see the yellow tint on white color content if you set the screen brightness at very low. This can be annoying if you get used to cool white LED on other phone, where your eye may prefer the bluish white on other phone screen. This is more on personal preference.
2. As the feature is less, the phone actually is much simpler to use. But, the phone feature are too less, much lesser than cheaper brand phone, until you may feel it is not user friendly. On normal use, it is not that bad actually. It is still an Android device, which offer wide range of customization, but not as many as other flagship brand phone.
3. The phone is pretty fast on normal usage, Snapdragon S800 chipset really do the job here. But, it is not as fast as other comparable phone. Well, maybe the phone is not optimize for optimum performance. But, compare to previous generation smartphone, this is much faster than those.
4. The phone still stick to Android 4.2.2 until today. You may feel that they don't have the plan to update the phone to newer Android version, that make you feel frustrated. But for me, it is not a big deal, as long as the phone is stable. I have heard many issue after updating to Android 4.3 and 4.4.
5. There is minor lag on the phone, just a slight lag. But it is not going into hang situation.
6. Due to low popularity, no third party casing and cover for the phone. It is pretty hard to find any of those.
1. Not really a bad phone either, but the effort Acer put on this phone seems too less. So, it is ok if you to go for other similar alternative phalet, like Samsung Galaxy Note 3, LG G Pro 2, HTC One Max, Oppo Find 7a, Sony Xperia Z Ultra, Oneplus One. The premium you paid over those phone is worth it, as you really get those extra benefit that this phone cant offer, in term of hardware quality, and software feature. (Yes, this phone is cheaper than Oneplus One by the time I bought it)
2. Given the price, now drop to only half of other flagship phone, this can be your ultimate secondary phone. It has all the performance of high end phone, but definitely not the best in the crowd. It won't has many feature, but the phone is snappy, very fast.
If you really want a good flagship phone, stay away from this, as it gonna disappoint you a lot, it doesn't on par with those more expensive competitor.
But, if you like to have something different, a totally different brand of gadget that you may unheard off, with almost near comparable high end performance, along with the cheapest price tag, this is definitely something of a steal. The phone itself actually is quite good looking (more attractive than Samsung Note 3), and the build quality is also very good. It has 4 LED flash light rounded the camera. Just the main issue here is the bad speaker quality, and not perfect camera performance.
It is very quiet at here.
It seems this phone is quietly forgotten by most of the people.
Ok, 1st usage will find this phone is draining the battery like a defect unit. It is the software bugs comes with the OS.
After I installed the battery saver apps. This phone can last more than one day on moderate usage, with 4G and GPS turn on.
Camera wise, the auto focus is very slow, and it cannot focus on object most of the time. The speaker is very poor (worse than my cheap ASUS tablet）. The user interface is not as user friendly as other flagship phone. The feature is there, but you can't access directly.
Overall, bought this phone just because of the sudden price drop, almost half price of popular brand, and want to own a different brand. This review is wrote by using Liquid S2.
The battery management of this phone is very poor.
By default, on high performance mode, the battery will keep draining even not using the phone.
You will feel the overall phone is heated at the back of the lower part. The "Dolby Digital Plus" metal logo get heat up easily.
The idling time of the phone will be around 7 to 8 hour.
However, setting the phone to power saving mode will make the phone cool down, but this is affecting the phone performance, create more lagging and apps load much slower and perform slower.
The only solution is to install a 3rd party battery saving apps. After installing battery saving apps, no more battery draining. The phone perform as fast without draining the battery. The battery also become cold and does not heat up anymore.
Anonymous, 30 Nov 2014Just returned a defect unit and get a brand new unit.
Now, this phablet has price drop belo... moreJust as a cons update.
The speaker of the phone is very poor.
The sound is broken, and is very quite.
Forget about the Dolby Digital Surround, they make the sound worse.
The screen actually is quite detail, but color reproduction is not on par. White color is yellowish, and the overall color is not very interesting. Viewing angle is not good.
The camera also is a little buggy, taking very long time for auto focus.
The software feature is very very less friendly. It miss out a lot of basic feature. It doesn't have "File Manager" by default. It even take more step to change the wallpaper on lock screen and home screen.
The Android version is stuck at 4.2.2, and no further update is announce.
All in all, not the best in the crowded choice, and definitely not an all rounder. Look else where if you really want a good phalet. However, it is only let down by it's software feature, the hardware is actually quite on par with other highend phalet, except the speaker, and the screen.