This is overall a very good phone. And at this price point, the few shortcomings don't matter. Been using this phone for two months now and ive noted the following things:-
1) The UI is pretty snappy and the SD845 surely helps here. UI is clean foe the most part and quite fast. Update has added gesture support, so you get a proper full screen experience.
2) The camera is great. Amazing in low light too. Also the second wide angle lens on the rear can take some lovely landscape shots. This is one of the main reasons i chose this over the 1+6 as the second lens on the 1+6's rear is just a dept sensor ( not even telephoto as they had previously). I mean... its a waste of a lens, IMO.
3) Charging is super quick with the charger provided in the box. I think its Qualcomm QC 3.0 with 18w charger. The max temp recorded while charging hit 42 deg C on my unit.
4) The screen visibility outdoors is quite good and having an edge to edge display is something else. Very slight chin on this phone... but you hardly notice after a few days, same for the notch.
5) The phone uses the earpiece to give a stereo effect. While not amazing, there definitely is good volume due to this. It also has an outdoor mode where the sound increases but there is loss in dept.
6) They provide a headset and a clear tpu case in the box, which is a always welcome.
7) The base variant of this is like 5k cheaper than the 1+6 when i purchased this phone. That bit sold me on this over the 1+6.
Some things i didn't like:-
1) The display brightness even at the lowest is quite bright, strains your eyes at night. Blue light filter doesn't help much.
2) The phone hunts for 4G network very aggressively. For the first two weeks i was get crappy battery life, avg of 3h50m SOT. I tried everything to improve this nothing helped. My last solution was to keep the phone in 2G/3G auto mode. Guess what, with my same usage while on 4G, the SOT increased to 5h40m. That's almost 2 hours!!!!! The best recorded is 6h43m, but this happened only once. So now it just stays in 2G/3G auto. Also i use dual sims both being by the same service provider.
3) This i knew before getting the phone, you cannot use this phone without a case unless you plan to wipe of the fingerprints every 15 mins. But without a case it does look magnificent.
I am happy with this purchase, I would recommend anyone with the INR 30K budget to get this. You will not be sorry.
Beautiful packaging like others flagships from other expensive brands
Rapid configuration and ASUS platform quite easy to use
rapid start when configurated
quite strong, and robust (a friend had one and throw it by the window of his car and the screen didn't broken although it had a glass screen cover and the case furnished by ASUS )
Nice pictures even with a little tremor :-)
I recommend widely this product
Bought from Amazon(6GB/64GB-International+128GB samsung U3 SD)
all for 550USD
waiting for it to arrive :)
Vonarian, 15 Sep 2018Are you joking? :|I am not able to install Asphalt Legend as its not listing in my play store app and i am not even able play PES 2018 with Bluetooth joystick because its saying google play services is not supported by your handset. (Asus Zenfone 5z 6/64 GB Indian Variant).
AnonM, 17 Sep 2018Dejected? It is the budget priced flagship, what you can ask more? Even OP6 has many cons to... moreWell, honestly, my comments got influenced by gsmarena review, I have realized later that 5Z actually feels better than the others at similar prices. However, the battery still does not seem to be promising, and this is the main reason why I still don't own 5Z.
mukhi, 01 Sep 2018I'm dejected to see the cons. Is it a flagship killer?
Stereo speakers sound imbalanced: Then... moreDejected?
It is the budget priced flagship, what you can ask more?
Even OP6 has many cons too, then why nitpick?
The Samsung Note 9,S9+, even Apple iPhone XS has lots of cons too, they are better, but please look at their price again.
For this type of comment, it simply shows that many users are narrow minded, where they want everything at lower price, at best exact clone, but will just accept anything on higher price product that also has cons.
Of course if you have the budget, then go ahead and buy the much more expensive alternative, and stop pinpoint those cons that not even cons at this price.
PS:Poco F1 are intended for another market segment, at least now you get near flagship performance at fraction of price, rather than offering below par performance at budget price. (Please look at Samsung/LG/HTC/Motorola/Sony/OPPO/Vivo midrange phone, they never come close to this Poco F1)
Anonymous, 12 Sep 2018try downloading apk from other sources....even my moto g5s plus is running asphalt 9It is not an issue of Zenfone itself, but rather is Asphalt 9 issue. It is still in soft launch phase. I think once Gameloft fix all the issue will be ok.
Yes, for you right now, it become Zenfone 5z issue because it doesn't run. I have installed the apk and it wouldn't run.
Anonymous, 13 Sep 2018Damm...i was just going to buy lg g7 as it is much cheaper in india....so would u recommend or notI think if the price us comparable low if compared to ASUS Zenfone 5z, OP6 and Mi8, then go for LG G7 is a no brainer. Forget the bootloop issue that plague older model, at least you get one year full warranty.
Anonymous, 03 Sep 2018where can i download the gcam?I'm using this port at XDA.
As usual, it doesn't work natively, so expected the slowness. The HDR+ post processing need huge processing time.
Imran, 16 Sep 2018Please help I can't update or install app from play storeTry and do a hard reset first. If it still can't work, then bring the phone in for an exchange or something. There's no way Google Play services cannot work. It's like saying you bought a car with an engine that can't start.
Anonymous, 12 Sep 2018pie is confirmed....but i guarantee that it will get android Qhow id dts x in 5z.which is better lg g7 or asus z5 for music video.any one having 5z pls clarify how is the sound output through headphones.thank u
Imran, 15 Sep 2018It's true I am also facing problem can't update apps or installAre u joking google play services not support , get it to the centre obv ur device have prob
Vajra, 14 Sep 2018google play services is not supported by ASUS Zenfone 5z.It's true I am also facing problem can't update apps or install
Vajra, 14 Sep 2018google play services is not supported by ASUS Zenfone 5z.That's not true. it supports all. they are mi fans spreading wrong information against other phones.
Vajra, 14 Sep 2018google play services is not supported by ASUS Zenfone 5z.Are you joking? :|