Abc, 12 Sep 2017Anybody know whether it supports volte in India?yes, Jio works fine in Mumbai
Huawei Honor 8 Pro - After 2 months of use
This phone is a complete package for this price [30k INR] on paper. I have used and seen other Honor phones in past and aware of their performance. So this time I went with that experience and bought this phone. The options available for me were Oneplus 5 and Samsung C9 pro. I was using Oneplus 2 before this and my experience with oneplus was not at all good because of their ditching behaviour. Samsung C9 pro was not appealing me much in comparison to Honor 8 Pro.
Ok, so I am writing my review in four sections 1.Where it shines 2.Features missing 3.Things I didn't like and 4.Issues
1. Where it shines:
* Battery performance
- Honor 8 Pro is packing 4000mAh battery with quick charge 3.0, it is best in this price segment.
- Battery backup of this phone is awesome. I am a little heavy cell phone user and it gives me 1.5 days easily. Sometimes even 2 days in a single charge.
- The Ultra Power Saving mode is excellent, however it restricts you to limited usability but then that is what buys you the extra time.
* Sound Quality
- It has built in DTS sound for headphones, which brings out clear and wide dynamic range in music.
- You don't need to buy expensive headphones to experience this, your normal JBL or Sennheiser headphones/earphones can also make you feel the difference.
- The Speaker is not a brilliant one but loud enough.
* Dual Camera
- Huawei is making dual camera phones since a long time and this is not their first attempt like OP5.
- It has one monochrome and one normal sensor, and believe me this phone captures sharpest photos I have seen from any mobile phone cameras.
- Overall picture quality is not as good as Pixel or IPhone but surely better than any of its competition in this segment. Yes even OP5.
- There are plenty of modes for photography enthusiast to bring out some creativity.
- The Monochrome photo capture mode is super cool because of its monochrome sensor.
- It also supports RAW.
- 1080p with 60 fps is super smooth.
- The trending portrait mode is also present, and it is better than OP5. It'll be stupid to compare it with IPhone 7 plus though.
- It has a brilliant screen with QHD resolution. Best in this segment.
- Excellent for VR experience.
- The screen is sharp and with popping colors.
* Looks and Build quality
- The phones looks beautiful in blue color with its slim profile. And yes it doesn't have that camera bump on back.
- It feels smooth in hand and slippery as well.
* Other features
- It also supports mSD card.
- Dual sim with VoLTE support [Jio SIM works absolutely fine]
- IR blaster [Very useful when you have bunch of remote controls to deal with]
- 6GB of RAM
- 128GB Internal memory
2. Features Missing:
- No Google Chrome cast - There is no support for Chrome cast out of the box in EMUI 5.1. It has Mirror Share which is I think based on Miracast.
- No Double Tap to Wake up. Yes they removed DTTW in EMUI 5.0 don't know why??? This is frustrating for me.
- Another very basic thing is missing. You can't use pattern lock if you have setup finger print unlock, you should have PIN unlock only... Why?????
- There is no dark theme mode in EMUI.
- Poor implementation of gesture controls. No customization of basic gestures like swipe down or swipe up.
3. Things I did not like
* Back mounted finger print scanner - I don't like fingerprint scanners on back, why not on front when you have plenty of space there. Why do you need that huge chin for Honor logo? Back mounted finger print scanner without DTTW and a forceful PIN unlock all makes it so impractical when your phone is lying on table most of the time. Every time you want to check your phone you have pick up your phone to unlock. One should be able to do this without necessarily picking it up.
- Headphone jack at bottom - I don't like this position, it is not a natural position for headphone jack. Very annoying at times.
- The glass on screen has a weird coating I guess, it makes the screen ultra-smooth and sometimes makes you slip your finger to make accidental wrong touch on screen.
- Honor 8 Pro has huge forehead and chin, gives it bad body to screen ratio making it a huge phone. Not so 2017...
- Dual tone flash on back is not the best in this segment, in fact I find it weak.
- EMUI offers nearly zero customizations. The theme engine is also not that good compared to other Chinese OEMs like Xiaomi's MIUI.
- The LED indicator is placed inside earpiece. Useless... I have to come over on top of it to see it. I don't even remember now that there is a LED indicator.
- Overall performance of EMUI on Kirin 960 is not smooth itÂ’s jerky.
- After latest update [Build:DUKL09C675B140] a serious RAM management issue has been introduced. All memory intensive apps like Facebook Instagram Playstore and other Games are getting killed[stopped] abruptly. The apps gets closed all of a sudden while using.
- The default music player has a filter feature where you can say not to include audio from certain folders which unfortunately doesn't work.
- Slow Motion video recording is poor and of no use. My 2 years old Oneplus 2 was having better frame rate and clarity.
- The display is a little over saturated and has a blue tone. But I think they have fixed this issue. I saw another phone ordered recently has right screen color calibration.
- Knuckle gesture doesn't recognise the knuckles... Why the heck NUCKLES????
- Sometimes screen does not dim before going off, it just goes off when screen on time outs.
- Live wallpapers makes EMUI behave weird sometimes.
Are there an option to change equalizer setting in the default audio player? I am not able to find any. There is just an option for DTS audio selection.
This is the all round device. I am really enjoying using it.
Coming from s7 edge I am really surprised to see the performance and future proofing done by Honor.
1. Awesome Battery.
2. Good Display.
3. Good output via loud speaker ( Cannot match stereo setup but good)
4. Snappy performance. No lag seen in 10 Days.
5. Ample amount of RAM and Storage (6 G & 128 GB).
6. Good Rear Cameras and Selfi cam.
7. Super fast Finger print sensor.
1. Huge mobile footprint and definitely not meant for one hand usage .
2. Other than that None that I have noticed.
( This is just a comparison with S7 edge)
1. Camera is affected by absence of OIS and results are around 80% of S7 edges image quality
2. No IP 68 Rating.
3. I miss amoled display ;)
fakh95, 09 Sep 2017I have some problem with my phone..when I open the application and use it, in several minutes ... moretry to check whether auto close extensive power apps is on in battery setting. if it is on, turn it off. and also check whether auto clean cache is on, u can look through setting>storage.
Anonymous, 31 Aug 2017How's your experience with this phone. Battery life good? Does it heat when using intensively?... morefor me,who always on my data using single sim 4g and using volte, as for today, my screen on time is 8 hours, standby 15hours +, battery left 6%.
im not a gamer at all. my battery stats for today, i use lazada app for 1 hour 20minutes, chrome 1 hour 8 minutes, fblite 1 hour(major use), and others like whatsapp, telegeam,youtube, google+,instagram and etc including taking some photos daily.
the worst i gor is 5 hours sot, standby 18 hours with another 20% of battery to spare.
i never use any of huawei battery saver features like lower the screen resolution(what the 2k screen for rite), no restrict auto start at all(i like the apps to maximise the massive 6gb ram). i also turn off auto clean internal space cache, cuz cache for me is really important to speed up things,plus,since i dont play games, i have massive internal space free though.
cuz im only love to surf the web, not feeling any uncormfortable heat though. those using vr/playing games,maybe will feel the heat through the metal/alluminium(yeah, i think the body construction itself contribute to the heat,no wonder many now opt to use glass back.
suitable for me as non gamer, apps r really fast to load n open. really hard for this device to stutter.
if u r hardcore gamers, u shud stick to sd835 devices, better performance n less heat like xiomi mi6, 1+5, or even nokia 8,,or wait for honor 9(full hdscreen, so better for games compare to 2k in h8pro.
but if u want a solid performer, good camera,nice screen, big battery to tame arm mali g71 clock 1ghz+ n 2k screen, u wont go wrong with h8pro.
Is there a yone here exp quite fast battery drain when using data or wifi. Coa i feel it really drain very fast. Even just usig whatsapp and fb?
Ravi., 12 Sep 2017Sir kindly explain.. I heard its processor is as good as one plus 5. The only dept its weak is... morethese is the best mobile, for the budget, Camera is also good, should go for it.
kirin 960 processor can be compared to SD 821 and not 835, the new kirin 970 which will be much better than sd 835, i am not a fan of huawei, but their phones are value for money, and you called it crap, review it in details and than only post comments
NICK23, 11 Sep 2017CRAP Processor !!It perform about on par with Snapdragon 835, and u call it crap. Keep studying boy.
NICK23, 11 Sep 2017CRAP Processor !!Sir kindly explain.. I heard its processor is as good as one plus 5. The only dept its weak is camera.. I'm about to buy it. Please help..
Anonymous, 10 Sep 2017Don't watch Po** it will couse some virus or software damage on your phonebad device